Made in China

The location where something is made does not really indicate quality. Quality usually comes from the specs that the customer (in this case BSA) is providing. I believe the polyester/Wool uniforms are also made in Asia but have very high quality (you do pay for that).

It is pretty much good ole USA arrogance to believe that things made here are necessarily higher quality. It is understandable that some may choose to "buy American" to support local jobs and the like. Be aware this does not mean an increase to quality.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The location where something is made does not really indicate quality. Quality usually comes from the specs that the customer (in this case BSA) is providing."

Then shame on BSA National Supply for "specifying" low-quality uniforms and selling them at high prices.

The pre-2009 BSA uniforms were certainly better quality then the current Centennial Uniforms.

By the way (it is a little off topic), I just received my new canvas uniform shorts that the BSA just released. These are actually really nice. I do not know why they did not release these as the official shorts in the first place.

Ah, the pants. They seem to take the most flak, whether due to people not wanting to wear them or the quality. I personally wish they weren't 100% cotton so they didn't fade so fast and much. But that's just me.

I am aware of the stipulation of imitating US military uniforms, but I have rarely seen it enforced. Ever. Maybe a tongue lashing, but I only heard of two stories of people getting kicked out of Scouting because of their imitation uniform. btw, with the talk of the military imitation uniforms, you should see the stuff they wore in the 40s-60s. Breeches, bombazine raincoats, leader coats, leggings, etc.

Take a look at current Sea Scout uniforms, esp. the post 2002 uniform regs that stook some traditional Sea Scout insignia off the uniforms. Not only do they look like USN uniforms, but Ships are authorized to buy uniforms from USN exchanges.

You are all missing the point. It is not BSA that is prohibited from designing the uniforms to look a little bit like the military. Rather it is individual Scouts and Scouters that are prohibited from modifying the uniform so that it looks more military than what is intended.

I believe a poster above mentioned this, but the conversation continues ignoring the comment.

Really, everyone should wear the official uniform (no matter where it is made).

It is not that hard, and you cannot go wrong that way.

(This message has been edited by johnponz)

To johnponz:

I think that you are missing the point of this thread.

Based on the responses to this thread, there are a number of people unhappy with BSA National supply about the following Centennial uniform issues:

1. Poor quality

2. High prices

3. Sourcing from Asia

4. Poor fit

5. Poor durability

Due to these concerns, Scouter have shared their opinions and their alternatives to these uniform concerns.

The "solution" is NOT to just wear the current Centennial Uniform.

The "solution" is for BSA National supply to listen to its members and FIX these problems.

These are my personal observations:

1. I have been involved in Scouting since the '70s, and I have always found that BSA has high quality merchandise, and they stand behind it with a no questions asked guarantee.

2. I really do not believe that prices are that high considering the high quality of the merchandise.

3. This is the true red-herring argument. Good luck trying to buy all of your appeal from US manufacturers. Go to any store, and the majority of the merchandise is from overseas. It is the reality of living in a global economy. The clock will not go backwards. This point is especially laughable in light of point 1 and 2. It is true that you can buy high quality US merchandise, but oh boy will you pay a premium. US workers are expensive especially US union employees. Finally, there is no guarantee of quality using US manufacturers. It is patriotic yes.

4.Sizing is always an issue with a customer population the size of the BSA. Get your uniforms tailored if this is an issue (first I saw it in this thread)

5. The uniforms that I use and the ones that my son uses are quite durable. I do not see the issue here.

My advice is to wear the official uniform as delineated in the insignia guide. You cannot go wrong that way.

By the way, there were no discussion boards back then, but back in the '70s when I started in Scouting (as a Scout-'76 or so). We all disliked the uniform because we thought they looked like pajamas (and pretty much felt like the summer cotton pajamas kids wear), and were paper thin (even though they were made in the US). They wore through very easily and were less durable then today). The more things change the more they stay the same. Scouters will always complain about the uniforms.

In the '80s when the new uniforms were introduced, it was a vast improvement. although people still complained.

I believe the design sort of lost its way, but am confident in the future based on the canvas shorts that I just bought.

(This message has been edited by johnponz)