Made in China

Nowadays, it would be hard to justify the uniform as being able to blend rich and poor, no matter where it was made. I would rather pay extra for a uniform that lasts.

I think the campaign hats are at least US made, but they are expensive.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand clothing cost, but patches, especially awards & ranks !!

A computerized embroidery machine in China is that much more efficient then in the USA ??

Even the Agency for International Development funding a program in Ethiopia allows Scout patches to be made anywhere (except Cuba, Syria, Iran, No Korea etc)!! At least give preference to an Ethiopian producer (if their is one)...

http://www.pactworld.org/galleries/jobs_rfps/012%20RFQ%20for%20the%20purchase%20of%20scout%20badge%20(SCEPS%20Project).pdf

For one of my WBtickets, I wanted some souvenir patches. Called an embroidery business recommended by a Scout friend, offices here in MD, about 15 miles from home. Phone call, Email conversation ensued. Design pdf file to them, price quoted, agreed to. Fedex package dropped on my front porch three days later, Fedex "Singapore". Three days from email agreement.

I see valid points from both the "Made In USA" and the "buy it for less crowd". I believe that the free market could solve this situation. Have a USA manufactured uniform and an Asian made uniform sold side by side at the Scout Shop. Let the consumer study the product and make the choice about quality and price.

I know from experience that a USA made uniform cam be made with excellent quality and at a competitive price.

Wilton125 who did you ultimately find to communicate with at National Supply about requesting Made in the USA preference. It is each of our responsibility to request and buy Made in the USA whenever possible to help our country prosper. You can not have an economy based on consumption alone.

It has been over a years since my conversation with BSA National Supply about the decision to "offshore" Scout uniforms to Asia. I do not remember the name of the person that I spoke with.

What I do remember was that it took many calls to get to someone that was involved with the decision. I never found out who made the final decision.My guess was the Chief Scout Executive cerainly had to approve it.

The person that I spoke with at National Supply claimed that there were no uniform manufactures in the USA that could support BSA's uniform needs. When I asked about the US uniform manufacturers for the US Military, the US Post Office and the Girl Scouts USA, he had no response about using these vendors.

As a long-time Scouter, this issue really continues to concern me about the BSA on multiple levels.

The pre-2008 uniforms has "Made in the USA" labels and were a quality product. The cost for pants and shirts were about $40; a fair price for a good quality item.

When uniform manufacturing moved to Asia,

- Quality went down

- Prices remained the same or went up

- BSA abandoned long-time USA manufacturing partners

The consumer, Scouts and Leaders, appear to viewed as a "captive audience" that will accept what ever BSA sells as "official". This attitude certainly does not reflect the principles and ideals of Scouting.

I have a good supply US-made Scout uniforms from pre-2008. I continue to avoid the new BSA uniforms because I strongly disagree with the BSA Supply decision to off-shore our Uniforms. This decision is BAD for our nation's economy and it sends a POOR message to Scouts and uniformed leaders.

Contrast the BSA uniform sourcing with that of Scouts Canada. Scouts Canada sources it's uniform from a Canadian-based manufacturer. Why is this viable for Scouts Canada but not for the BSA?

Someday, I hope to get an honest answer from the BSA.

(This message has been edited by Wilton125)

""What I do remember was that it took many calls to get to someone that was involved with the decision. I never found out who made the final decision.My guess was the Chief Scout Executive cerainly had to approve it.""

So, the address for Mr. Mazucca is...?

My Canadian connection tells me that the ScoutsCanada uniform supplier is, indeed, a Canadian company,Joe Fresh, but not necessarily fully manufactured on the North American continent.

http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/uniform.html

Most seem to like the new unis but with the one complaint: how to apply all the usual badges and where to put them?

Not my problem.

I'd guess doubtfull that they couldn't find a us supplier if they tried, but if they couldn't, I'd rather buy from the Canadian outfit for sure, before the Chicoms!

Made in China?

Try finding goods made in USA or not made in China. I do try, but it is hard. I was looking for a "Caliper" used in a machine shop and prices were:

USA. $100+. Quality A

Japan. $80+. QualityA

China. $14.95. Quality A to C...but at $15 a whack....they are flying off eBay

I ended up buying used certified from eBay with Japan only because EVERYONE of the USA ones were selling for outrageous prices or sold so fast you could not get it.

You may find this link eye opening...

http://johnharding.com/2011/01/14/what-a-ship-the-emma-maersk/

I would love uniforms made in the USA, but the general public votes with Thier pocket books and in this economy I can understand.

I'm not for or against...just one of the many trying to create more jobs in the USA.

BSA US Uniforms? All for it.

Peace...?

this isn't foreign aid - this is international trade. There are a few really good books about the globalized textile market; I recommend Travels of a T Shirt in a Global Economy.

This is not to say people shouldn't/can't express and act on preferences for where their clothes are manufactured, but the whole process is much more complex (and global) than we tend to think it is.

By accident I heard the NPR This American Life coverage of "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs"

As it turned out Mike Daisey hadn't been completely honest and had made up some of what he was pushing as the truth.

Still I think that there aren't too many workers in the USA or England who would want to work for a company like Foxconn.

Apple does have a Supplier Code of Conduct which is supposed to be followed and enforced.

http://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/

I get and understand that we live in a global economy and market place.

I also get that this at times does good and at times really causes a lot of harm.

Some years back Dell moved a lot of its manufacturing to Ireland. Things were good Dell accounted for 5% of the Irish GNP.

Then it moved elsewhere to make its computers.

Not far from where I live, back in the early 1970's. A big car plant was built. For an American car maker. (I'm not sure which one.) The Americans never moved in. But thanks to a lot of incentives from the State V.W. moved in and remained until they no longer had the tax incentives. Then they packed their bags and were gone. The plant sat empty for a couple of years until thanks another dose of tax incentives Sony moved in and remained until the incentives ran out. The plant is now once again empty.

It wasn't that long ago that I looked down my nose at anything made in Japan. But that changed when the quality of what was being made improved and for a while was better than the quality of things made in the USA or Europe.

This week marks 100 years since the Titanic went down. It seems odd to even think that at that time Northern Ireland was known as being the place for the best ship builders in the world.

Things change. How long it will be till China and India come up and workers there get paid what is the going rate else where and companies there start looking to out source jobs? Only time will tell.

Rather than looking at where something is made? I'd be more concerned about the quality of the item.

Ea.