Best "unofficial" pants ???

Fred,

You must have some of the really old ones, ones that I wish I could still fit in as I outgrew them. ;)

Seriously though, depending upon usage and stress levels, even the ODLs from the late 90s early 2000s would rip and tear. In the 2 years I worked national supply and had to wear the long pants 5 days a week, 10 months a year (I was allowed to wear shorts at my two months of summer camp) I went through 3 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shorts.

On a different note, when the canvass CU pants came out, my wife went shopping at Walmart and found a pair of canvas convertables that were almost identical and got me a pair. Slight difference in cargo pocket, and they come hemmed. But that was the differences.

Also back in 1999 or 2000, just prior to the Venturing pants coming out, I was at REI looking for gray pants. One pair I saw I liked except for the elastic in the waist. a few months later, those eact same pants wer e now the official venturing pants.

I have and wear the new canvas zip offs and really like them. My son uses The North Face zip offs and a couple of different pairs of Columbia and REI zip off's. I use to use a set of cargo pants from TRU-Spec that I used as daily wear as well and they hold great.

• 2 years later...

I really don't like the "Official" scout pants. They don't look sharp, and I don't really think that they're that functional. That's just my 2 cents

I like the Vertex Tactical pants, or "Tacti-cool" pants. They're about the same price as Official pants, but they are WAAAAY more functional. The green matches pretty well too

I just wanted to point out that the insignia guide and the congressional charter of BSA prohibits wearing uniform parts that imitate the military uniform so clearly wearing BDUs is out. From the guide:

"b.Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, in accordance with the provisions of the organization's Congressional Charter."

IMITATIONS of the US military are prohibited, not the real thing, think Sea Scouts.....

The BSA is the only non-military organization authorized to wear US military uniforms if they so choose.

Stosh

I have a pair of Switchbacks (bought on clearance, they are now shorts only), and two pairs of the Centennial pants (again, on clearance, as they are nylon). I bought convertible Magellans (mainly because they have zips on legs) from Academy Sports for backpacking/general use. They match perfectly in color, the only downside is the one orange thread going down the built-in nylon belt. They are pretty commonly used around here. When my oldest had his Eagle BOR, a large minority of the adult leaders present had on the Magellans.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but on the subject of pants, What are peoples experience with the new switchbacks? I have a pair of the microfiber ones, and they are extremely lighteight and comfortable, and they fit me well. Is it reasonable to expect since they are lightweight they won't last long? I have only had them a couple months, I just want to know if I should wait out purchasing something else (different quality) if these are going to rip by the end of the year? or if i go ahead and buy another pair.

I gotta admit, I never really understood all the comments about pants failures and the strong need to find substitutes.

I have a pair of the switchbacks.... I think about 2 years old now. Haven't been worn very hard.... couple camp outs, and mostly indoor type meetings.

I hate them... but only because the leg zippers fall right at the knees so they make horrible shorts and are equally bad as pants.

..... wearing them over the weekend, and a cargo pocket failed...... the bottom seam where it attaches to the leg just unraveled. Didn't snag on anything, and there wasn't much in the pocket.... just an almost empty wallet, and my son's necker and woggle.

No telling how long it's been unraveling, but I didn't notice until the woggle fell out. half the pocket is gone!

wow!

I gotta admit, I never really understood all the comments about pants failures and the strong need to find substitutes.

I have a pair of the switchbacks.... I think about 2 years old now. Haven't been worn very hard.... couple camp outs, and mostly indoor type meetings.

I hate them... but only because the leg zippers fall right at the knees so they make horrible shorts and are equally bad as pants.

..... wearing them over the weekend, and a cargo pocket failed...... the bottom seam where it attaches to the leg just unraveled. Didn't snag on anything, and there wasn't much in the pocket.... just an almost empty wallet, and my son's necker and woggle.

No telling how long it's been unraveling, but I didn't notice until the woggle fell out. half the pocket is gone!

wow!

I had something similar happen to me with a Columbia jacket last year. Pocket just blew out, and was fortunate to catch the lightweight GPS sliding out the bottom after just coming in from the snow!

I'm starting to echo my elder's "They don't make 'em like they used to ..."