Garrison Caps

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a "Buff" ...a fancy "Doo Rag"?

I can see the functionality, but am not ready to have a whole Troop of kids wearing it in 15 different ways.

Does BSA sell them? If not, I'd have to make sure that we got similar "Buffs" so we didn't end up looking like some Rainbow themed Troop.

Would I wear it...I kinda think so...but not with my uniform or unless the troop had a uniform selection of which color / style.

Very interesting though. Thanks for posting. I think I'll have to go look for one.

Yes, it's basically a do rag, although it can also be worn around the neck as a thick scarf. For those "hats" and garrison caps, it seems that by offering no shade for either your ears or your eyes, it would just make your head hotter in the sun. While a garrison cap might be useful in England or somewhere else where it tends to be fairly cold most of the time, the buff cap would be too thin to make a difference in the cold (and would still be hotter in the sun).

From the pictures they are tending to wear the Expedition hat which is an official headgear anyway. I would think that a do-rag kind of headgear would be no different than a garrison cap in terms of practicality. Of the pictures I looked at of the troop none of them were wearing a do-rag, but a lot of them had the Expedition hat which I think is very practical and useful while looking sharp. My honor patrol boys adopted that hat and one can always pick them out in a crowd, especially with colored hat cords.

Stosh

The Buff headgear does look interesting. I wonder if a flat seam would be a problem. With a seam I could copy the concept in about 5 minutes at home.

Bart, it comes in various fabrics including wool, which should meet your warmth requirement. And one style-idea comes down over the ears.