Female Leader Shirts Tucked In

to me it's not like I'm wearing my scout uniform out to pick-up guys... I'm not wearing it for a fashion statement... I'm wearing it to show I'm part of this group! And the group wears them tucked so I wear them tucked!

biggest issue for women is the differing cuts of shirts and what will work to tuck them in... for me I wear a man's cut shirt as they are longer and so are easier to tuck and stay tucked. so when buying a uniform shirt try on the different styles and see what works best with the rules and don't focus so much on what looks the "cutest" on you!

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I get it. I wear the "sucky" BSA socks, BSA pants/shorts, BSA uniform shirt with patches in the correct placement, and the BSA belt. As the Scoutmaster, I expect that the boys will look at me f

This should settle the matter.

Funny how the inspection sheets aren't scored pass/fail.

Wearing uniforms is one of the best things about Scouting as it designates who we are as a group. If some women don't want to wear their uniform properly(i.e. untucked vs. tucked)it sets a bad example for when we have the boys wear it properly and when they see their mothers or other women they know not following the rules, it makes it difficult for the leaders to enforce it. If we have units in whch everyone has their shirts tucked in except a couple of the adult women, it looks unkempt and sloppy next to the rest of the unit. Let's face it, sometimes in some areas of this country, some Boy Scouts are made fun of because of the uniform, but if we all wear it the same way it shows unity.

Our local security officer at work was complaining to me yesterday that as of Oct 15, he had to start wearing his long sleeved uniform shirt. It's still a bit warm in this part of the country. He told me he had to adjust because it's what it takes for all the employees to be uniformed. I can't wait until some of these boys get out in the real world and realize they had an opportunity to learn these lessons and didn't.

ymphil - Welcome to the forum!

Stosh

You know, I love the uniform as much as the next Scouter. However, it never ceases to amaze me when people get all bent out of shape over whether or not a shirt is tucked in or not on a female adult. :eek:

As for the youth, heck, if this shirt is on it's a good step some days! I certainly would like a Scout to tuck in his shirt but I never ask him to do that; typically the SPL does that. I find it less important if a female Scouter is self-conscious about tucking in a shirt, and I'm not going to make a point to ask her to do so. Honestly, I'm happy that she shows up consistently and helps the unit.

@ymphil, welcome to the forums! I respect your point and know where you're coming from. What I'm trying to say is that uniforming is just one method of Scouting and not the be-all-end-all of what we do. It's very important but kind of a waste of time, in my opinion, to make a special effort to tell a woman to tuck in her shirt. There's probably several factors there that you don't want to mess around with...know what I"m saying?

"What I'm trying to say is that uniforming is just one method of Scouting and not the be-all-end-all of what we do. It's very important but kind of a waste of time, in my opinion, to make a special effort to tell a woman to tuck in her shirt. There's probably several factors there that you don't want to mess around with...know what I"m saying?"

Why should we treat women differently? Why do they get a pass on wearing the uniform properly? Yes, it is a volunteer organization. Yes, their help is appreaciated. If they are a member, they need to follow the rules just like all other members. If women feel they are being singled out for improper uniforming, it is because they are improperly uniformed, not because they are women.

Many male members also feel the uniforms do not flatter their particular body shape. Oh well. The uniform teaches a number of life lessons. People are treated differently based on the way they present themselves. People treat you differently if you are wearing a business suit vs. sweat pants and a T-shirt. Or for a female version wearing a nice dress vs. sweat pants and a T-shirt. Wearing the uniform correctly teaches scouts that their appearance does matter. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

As stated before, all the uniform questions are the same. I don't like to wear the uniform correctly for some particular reason and want someone on the forum to agree that is OK for me to wear it correctly. No. It is not Ok. Wear it correctly, wear it often.

((Rock Beat background))

I'm... too Scouty for my shirt, too Scouty for my shirt

So Scouty it hurts

And I'm too Scouty for B-P

Too Scouty for B-P

Wood Badge and that tree.

And I'm too Scouty for your Troop

Too Scouty for your Troop

No way I'm hiking out

I'm a model you know what I mean

And I do my little tent on the campsite

Yeah on the campsite on the campsite, yeah

I do my little hike on the trail side

I'm too Scouty for my school

Too Scouty for my school

Too Scouty by far

And I'm too Scouty for my hat Too Scouty for my hat for my hat

What do you think about that?

I'm a model you know that it seems

I do my hike on the campground scene

Yeah on the campground, on the campground, yeah

I shake myneckerchief in the Court of Honor.

I'm too Scouty for my

Too Scouty for my too Scouty for my

'Cos I'm a model you know what I mean

And I do my little hike on the campground,

Yeah on the campground yea on the campground, yeah

I shake my little necker on the campground

I'm too Scouty for my cat

Too Scouty for my cat

Poor Patrol, poor Patrol poor Patrol cat

I'm too Scouty for my JASM

Too Scouty for my JASM

My shirt's gonna untuck me

And I'm too Scouty for this song

Read more: Left Said Fred - I'm Too Scouty Lyrics | MetroLyrics

My SM and I are so thrilled when female adults hit the trail with us, we've concluded that this is not the hill we'll be dying on.:o

However, our moms generally hang that uniform up in the closet when they take on troop responsibilities. If they were to ask, I would give them the policy, but also direct them to the variety of BSA dress uniforms for adults. We haven't had any who were really up for ASM (again, we haven't found one who really wanted that position), I'm of the general philosophy that committee members do just as well without the uniform, and therefore this is a non-issue for us.

H

If one is to lead by example' date=' I would prefer the adults not wear the uniform over wearing it incorrectly. Sends the wrong message to the boys. Stosh[/quote'] Totally agree. Either in uniform correctly or out of uniform entirely

Funny how the inspection sheets aren't scored pass/fail.

Scoring other than pass fail is only a result of fuzzy logic to appease those who refuse to comply. Regardless of the inspection sheet, either one is wearing the uniform and wearing it correctly or they are not. That is now the fuzzy logic gets filtered out. Just this weekend was at camporee and I saw what appeared to be either athletic warm up pants or pajama bottoms at the flag ceremony. Somehow these units have the idea that a partial uniform is okay. Who has taught them that? 50 years ago, that was NOT the case.In all the years I was a youth scout, both Cub and Boy, I wore hat, shirt, scarf, belt pants and socks. What's the percent of boys today that even come close to that? And better yet, what's the percent of adults today that even come close to that?

Stosh

It would appear the rules for Cubs and BS differ. IOS 8 won't let me paste a link but the BSA website clearly states for Cubs to wear the complete uniform or no parts at all. You can't even just wear the hat. By implication I suppose you can't even wear just the socks either. That said I wear my own chosen socks. BSA socks suck. Sorry, they just suck. On top of that the no matter which style I buy the sock aliens abduct one and only one of that style. I actually like the pants and have picked up a few pair of the nylon ones they are clearancing at my local shop for $15. Hard to beat that price at Wally World.

Guys, I get it. I wear the "sucky" BSA socks, BSA pants/shorts, BSA uniform shirt with patches in the correct placement, and the BSA belt. As the Scoutmaster, I expect that the boys will look at me for the example. I understand it. I get it. And I know it's a method of Scouting. But we get all bent out of shape and lose our focus the young men and women when we spend hours commenting on Bryan on Scouting. That one thread on the Scouts wearing their merit badge sashes in their belts during a flag ceremony. OMG, like what a travesty! I get it, ya'll. The rules say that you don't wear the merit badge sash in your belt. Let's go camping.

• Upvote 2