Knots and corresponding medal

Last night I was attending our Troop's court of honor, and a fellow Scouter asked wear my Eagle medal was. I explained that it was framed on my wall at home. It got me to thinking. In my mind it seems like it would be "double dipping" to wear my medal along with the Eagle Scout knot already on my uniform.

Any thoughts???

How can it be "double dipping" to wear both the Eagle Scout Award knot, and the medal the knot represents? You earned the rank of Eagle, correct?

Per the BSA Insignia Guide -

"Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer."

You would not wear medals on a camping trip, or during a Troop game of basketball.

The BSA Insignia Guide also states this about the Eagle Scout Award medal -

"Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions."

I would consider an Eagle COH ceremony a "formal Eagle occasion", but not a regular Troop COH.

However, it is up to you if you wear your medal or not.

WELCOME TO DA FORUMS FIREEAGLE!

As to your question, yes it is allowed to wear both the knot and medal on formal occasions, since 99.999% of folks have the knots sewn onto the uniform permanently. I have met one scouter who have attached knots to ribbon bars, so that one set of knots can be used for multiple uniforms AND he could wear knot his medals without the knots present. But he was an old, retired Devil Dog who still had a bit of the Corps in him.

And some folks decide not to wear the medals at all.

Maybe it's the huanting words of my old high school Army ROTC instructor, a Vietnam Veteran D.I., scolding those cadets who looked like "pineapple dictators" by wearing both ribbons and corresponding medals that makes me hesitant to wear both the knot and the medal...

I would say you definitely can wear it since the Insignia Guide allows it. As for worrying about being "in good taste," I think your fellow Scouter's view will be what you encounter 99 percent of the time. Ultimately, though, it's up to the wearer. I know some Scouters who I greatly respect wear only the knot even for Eagle Courts of Honor.

Personally, I keep my Eagle medal in the box it came in and wear it only for Eagle Courts of Honor. If you're worried about someone seeing the medal and the knot, you can pin the medal right beneath the Eagle knot and the scroll will cover part of the knot.

I use knots-only for my field uniform.

I reserve medals for the rare suit-and-tie occasion.

It's for convenience mostly. I find medal's and pins hard to keep track of. Knots are light and out-of-the-way.

"My dad (Eagle of 64) said that you shouldn't wear awards that mean the same thing."

Bingo! That's the way I feel about it.

I haven't done it yet, but I have been considering taking a long sleeve uniform shirt of mine and making that my CoH/Eagle CoH/WB beading [formal] shirt -- wear my medal, service stars, etc. on that one and leave my Troop/field uniform simple with knots only.

(This message has been edited by fireeagle29)

Again the no ribbons, let's face it knots are descended form military ribbons, and same medal rule is military, not BSA. Most folks in the military wear ribbon bars with the ribbons on them, although if memory serves they can be sewed on directly to the uniform for USMC and USN, but don't quote me on that.

BSA policy does allow both to be worn on special occasions. But if you fell uncomfortable doing so, then don't as that is your right.