Howdy

So I have a bunch of patches from Camporees and other camps I received when I was a Webelos, Boy Scout and Sea Scout. I would like to put them on something other than the goofy red vest. I remember when I was a young scout and would see adult leaders with patches from camporees and other event from way before my day. I thought it was neat because then you could ask him about those events and hear some neat stories. So what are my options?

Thanks

Sean

Make a campfire blanket by sewing the patches on a wool blanket which you can wrap around yourself at campfire during cool or cold nights. I started one because a few of my Scoutmasters I had as a Scout had them. They are great conversation pieces and Scouts get to see your Scouting history.

YiS,

Chazz Lees

Sablanck,

Good question. An option I've always liked: Skip the red vest, and put them on a vest of your choosing. I recall an elderly scouter, back when I was a scout in the '70s, who had patches going back to the '30s sewn on a very nice leather vest (a light color, not sure exactly what kind of leather). Looked very stylish and folks flocked to him for stories and questions.

Or folks used to sew their patches to a red wool scout jacket--every possible spot covered. Others would get a civilian windbreaker and sew away.

However, in my travels, I haven't seen these options used in years. Which is a darn shame, because those old camporee patches and such are far more meaningful than the ton of doo-dads and gee gaws that we seen afixed to BSA uniform shirts today.

'Rat,

The patches all over the jacket options are no longer viable as they are go against the Insignia Guide. Don't know when, I think sometime in the 1970s, national said you can no longer put patches all over the red jackets.

In addition to to the camp blanket, I've also patches on hats. I know I had a DCU boonie hat with my lifeguard patches, my aquatic MBs, and other aquatic related stuff on it, including my youth bug and as an adult my SE Leader's pin. Used that hat when guarding and on float trips.

My mother made a quilt, simple block design with a Fleur de lis quilted in the center of each block and a patch in the center of each Fleur de lis, it had the community strip of my boyhood troop and troop number and each rank patch, merit badges and camporee patches and event patches, its an idea for quilters