Scouts Canada Launches New Uniforms

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so...did anyone notice the pricing of their uniforms? Adult Large uniform shirt for $20 Canadian!

Wow, somehow they have Scout merchandise that sells for something most of us would recognize as reasonable. Shirts that actually cost something close to what a Shirt costs.

Who would ever have thought THAT was possible...

http://www.scoutshop.ca

They actually made the announcement late last March ... with huge fan fare and a whole social media campaign.

By the way, if you did not notice ... those are not special "Scouts Canada" pants ... just plain old Khaki/Tan pants.

I do think that our uniforms are expensive and should be USA made but I think those Canada uniforms are awful. Uniforms set you apart,make you look sharp,and should always be worn correctly. They(Canada's) look dumbed down.

They actually look like something you could wear on a hike and not worry too much about getting overly dirty, snagged or torn.

Do the uniforms normally not have any bling (beyond what looked like the World Crest on the pocket) - troop numbers, position patches?

Could be that they are just showing what the shirt will look like when you buy it instead wrongly adding what might be wrong.

Remember the BSA having the Tiger with AOL and all the Cub Scout ranks sewn on his pocket. Patches on the wrong rankl or right rank but wrong side?

The Canadian scouts will wear their badges on their shirt sleeves in rows of two. Just like I did when I was a Canadian Brownie. Canadian uniforms have never had the "bling" American ones have. The Canadians don't have unit numbers like the US does and there are no real Council shoulder patches either. They may have a small,about the size of a US patrol patch, Council patch on a shirt sleeve. Units tend to be identified by their neckerchiefs. Whole groups from Beavers to Rovers use the same necker. Although there is one National necker, in 2 sizes, not many units use it.

I see no problem with them not having a uniform pant. Telling the kids and leaders to wear a pair of khakis that they already have or can use for something else makes a lot of economic sense. I wish my son could have worn his navy blue school pants in Cubs instead of the overpriced uniform pants BSA sells. Girl Guides Canada does the same thing, shirts and sashes only. As a result just about every Scout and Guide has a full uniform in their associations eyes.

And get this the Canadians actually used a Canadian clothing company to design and manufacture their uniforms. I don't know if they are Canadian made but a Canadian company is reaping the benefits from doing business with Scouts Canada. Perhaps the kids and adults will like their uniform shirts well enough to invest in other non uniform clothing from that company. I believe the company is called Joe Fresh. Joe Fresh sells Scout uniforms cheap and they get business because they connected with shoppers that might have never worn their clothes otherwise.

Did anyone notice that the Canadians actually have an activity shirt (t-shirt) available to them as part of their uniform choices. So they can wear it on camping, hiking, or anything else you can think of. Pretty smart in my books. And the t-shirt option is considered full uniform.

Maybe BSA could learn a thing or two from the Canadians when it comes to uniforms. Plain, simple, neat and and inexpensive.

If a bunch of them was to walk down an airport concourse, you couldn't even tell they were a Scout group.

Sure, you could. All wearing the same color and style of shirt, all wearing neckerchiefs, all with the same basic insignia.

And they'd be very polite, seeing as they're Canadian, in addition to being Scouts. ;)