New RWS Community Strips

I just got back from summer camp with my troop in RI. I noticed that alot of troops were wearing the old style RWS or community strips instead of a council patch. I know the history behind them and had seen the old ones before, but these were brand new patches. I asked around to see where they got them. I couldn't really get a staright answer; most didn't know and one said his local scout shop in RI had a warehouse of them so you just needed to ask them. I'm from MA and my local scout shop is a bit of a drive, so I figured i'd ask here to see if anyone could confirm that the scout shops have them or maybe give me a link of who has them. I've tried looking at old ones on ebay or scouting websites, but they never have my town name and I want to get them for my whole troop. Is there a custom patch company that specializes in them or already has the pattern for them? Thanks in advance!

National has not carried them in ages, and if a "scout shop" is sellig them, more than likely it's a council distributorship that found them in a storage area and is trying to get rid of them.

I know that some places will custom make them, but you got to buy a bunch. If Ship's Store si any indication, you'll need to buy 100 of them.

Wore my 1960's uniform community strips on a 1960 uniform at Jambo and got a ton of positive comments about how nice they were. People really like to know where you are from and a council strip with troop numbers just doesn't cut it.

Stosh

As an aside, my son's troop created olive/tan community and state strips in 2010. They look quite sharp with the olive tan troop numerals.

They cost 98 cents each (shipping included) with our order of 100.

And yes, I recognize fully that they are not sanctioned by the local council....though with over 70 council strips issued locally over the last decade or so, all pretenses toward "uniformity" have been lost.