How do Native Americans generally look upon Scouting?

I know there is a lot of Scouting that is based upon Native American beliefs and things like that, but I was wondering how Native Americans percieve groups like OA and American Indian Dance Teams, and just Scouting in general. I know this can be a touchy subject as there is a sort of disdain feeling towards people imitating Native American culture...

In the not so distant past many of the Native American "themes" wrongly represented the Native American culture, mostly in a negative context. Most of us do not understand that many Native American dances have specific meaning and purpose, many are very sacred and religious. Christian groups would not want someone doing Christian ceremonies "for fun" or without understanding the meaning.

Native Americans are made up of many tribes. Each tribe is unique in it's customs, dress, and culture. Things like feathers have very specific meanings and are to be worn only for specific purposes and by specified people.

I wasn't clear on some of this myself until the last few years. To see a scout leader running around without his shirt and with red, blue, and yellow feathered headdress is ridiculous.

I would think some other religions would have a problem with some of the "great spirit" sayings, since they could be construed as worshiping another god.

Think about how you would feel if a large group organization said your religion's prayers as "fun", not knowing they were prayers. If the group dressed up as religious leaders and used religious symbols inapproriately. Since I'm not Catholic I should pretend to be a nun or priest, and should not perform the ceremonies nuns and priests perform. That would be disrespectful.

I am sure you could find someone who would be offended, given today's culture, but I too would be interested in knowing how they are received in general.

I do recall reading that no dances and such with religious significance are allowed, for the reasons sctmom mentioned.

Brad

In general, the people I know who are Native American find BSA's copying of Native American culture very insulting and demeaning. They highly encourage learning about Native American culture, which is very diverse depending on region and time period. Most Native Americans are more than happy to help educate others on their culture.

This is not just a small group of "easily offended", but widespread feeling, from what I have read and understand from talking to others.

At the risk of going off topic, does anyone know why BSA changed the Lone Scout patch and neckerchief? The old design depicted an Indian looking skyward with an outstretched arm. The new one shows a Boy Scout giving the Scout sign. I think the old one was cool, and the new one is "Ho Hum".