Red Wool Jacket -on sale

I happened to look at the new and improved site that was mentioned in another thread. For those of you looking for the Red jacket, I just picked one up for $19.99. What a markdown! Must be they truly are moving away from the red over to the green.

I've always wanted a red wool Scout jacket that fit me but there was no way I was spending $100. Sure, I could wear my dad's old one, but it's a 42. I just measured myself with a sewing tape and holding it at 38, it just fits around my chest at nipple height, with enough room to get two fingers in. I think I know what I'll be buying a couple weeks from now, presuming that they're still in the store then...

I've tried eBay before, but I think the people selling the jackets are bidding against me. I used to go check 'em out regularly on eBay, but I got tired of losing the bid every time when it went over how much I was willing to pay for it, so after a while I just stopped bidding. I'm really happy that they're in the scout store now at such a nice price. :)(This message has been edited by BartHumphries)

I think with the new scoutstuff.org, we're seeing a lot more old stuff they've got a few of in the warehouse. In the 2004-2005 range, the jac-shirts went from the old jacket sizes to the XS-5X we've got now. he old sizes were made 25% off as the new stock made its way to the stores. So the sizes on sale for 19.99 have been marked down from that point, and these are the bare few left. Years ago, this was known as "Discontinue when gone", so I doubt you'll see the other sizes on sale until they drop the jac-shirt completely. I've seen a few older items like that pop up on the new site when I've been looking for something.

Which is exactly why I stopped checking eBay -- price gougers who just wanted too much for the jackets. It's not as though they're anything more than simple pieces of felt. It's not as though they're made from different layers sewn together or like they have an inner lining or something or like there's anything (in the absence of a Scout affiliation) that's really valuable about them. I'm glad the scoutshop has them for less than $30 including shipping right now, as I wouldn't pay more than that price for one.(This message has been edited by BartHumphries)

A few years ago, I picked up two '60s era BSA red jackets on ebay. It helped that it was summer time, and after being sniped at the last minute for many auctions, I got both of these jackets at reasonable prices. Both are much better quality than what National sells now.

For those who may wonder about the size chart not being correct. I'm a 42-Long and so I ordered one. For $30 (postage/handling included), I figured it was worth the risk. It came today and it fits perfect. National screwed up and got it right this time. :)

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)