New uniform pants

Egad, they brought back the blue card pocket,

YO! national supply cargo pocket means you can put something, like a digital camera in it and carry it comfortably.

Please tell me the canvas uniform pants are not going away.

yes, this is 'fake uniforming' ... but The Gap outlet...$18 for OD cargo pants...

I'd care alot more about wearing the real deal if I could actually see why spending double made sense, or if it was a truly unique garment, but come ON, its a pair of OD pants...

Flame away...

I am sure that they did a survey, but I am not sure who they talked to.

A front cargo pocket is just plain stupid. The side cargo pockets actually served a purpose.

There is still no button for a powderhorn emblem.

But what do I know, I liked the old action shirt.

Ugh. Terrible. About as worthless as those old canvas patch pocket pants. Who would put cargo pockets on the front? Obviously someone whose never used them. Reviewed by someone who has never camped. They had the first ones right, with zipped legs and side cargos. Progress! UGH!

Ugh, more difficult to iron shirts. Seriously, after a day or two in the pack, the shirts are going to look terrible and be difficult to iron when we get back home.

I'm not sure why some people would want a ventilated back yoke. If you have a pack on your back or something else that covers your back then it doesn't matter whether it's ventilated or not, it's going to get wet. If your back is clear and free and there's nothing covering it, then it's going to stay dry unless it's so hot that you're profusely sweating all over (in which case a back vent really won't matter much). It does make it a real pain to iron, though. You take your shirt to the drycleaners and you're going to have net marks pressed into the top layer of the shirt, unless they just don't iron it at all (in which case you're going to slowly build up wrinkle marks).

I'll bet that the Large size shirts (which seem most common for adults) still don't have pockets which are the same size as three knot patches lined up -- they'll probably still be a bit smaller so you either have to overlap the knot patches slightly or have them sticking out over the side edge of the pocket on one side or another (or both).

The velcro on pockets is nice, but the backwards button is just weird. You're going to end up with a button imprint the very first time you iron the shirt (or have it pressed) and if you're one of those people who likes to iron their shirts like one of the other uniformed chaps (police, military, fire) with sharp creases down the middle of each front part and three down your back, those backwards buttons are going to mess up your front creases.

I'm not sure why the front pants pockets, which have a flap over the top, have drain holes, while the side "hand" pockets (which have giant great cutouts in the top so that any moisture coming close to your body can easily get into them) don't have a way to drain other than dumping it all down the inside of your leg.

I don't know why the gussets on the pants run all the way down the legs -- a gusset is meant to add more fabric right where you need it, where the fabric is "stretching" and "pulling". I.e., if you're going to put a gusset in the pants, you add it right into the underside of the crotch (for when people crouch down to pick up a heavy load or as they tighten a climbing belt or something) and taper it off as the legs start.

Excellent sun protection? If the uniform was made out of a good material, then that wouldn't really be an issue. Does this increased sun protection come from additional stuff coated on the fibers or stuff sprayed on the uniform (which will either wear away with time or reduce the material's ability to breath)?

BSA buckle with attached belt? Does that mean that all these BSA buckles and belts will be removed from the Scout store? No more belt leatherworking at summer camp? What's up with the stretch elastic on the backs of the pants? If hot steam is blown across those (from an iron or the drycleaners) it's going to destroy that elastic, which just makes the pants more difficult to iron nicely (not to mention it's really going to shorten the usable life of the pants, which might be the intention). I've worked as a clothes presser before in a drycleaners and the current uniform looks like it's going to fit into that "absolutely a royal pain" category (almost as bad as the worst item of all to press, a lady's pleated, form fitted light blouse).

Alabama - the non BSA zipoff 'tech pants' appear to be a similar price to the BSA ones, unless you found some kind of screaming deal.

Around here, the North Face ones are around $50, which is about what the scout shop is getting for the 'official' ones.

What I think is so silly about the uniforms National's been releasing is that they constantly try to make them look outdoorsy and suitable for trekking. What they forget is that no sane Scout or Scouter would wear their $100 uniform on any trek that would take their car out of their sight. Uniforms are worn at ceremonies, meetings and some events like camporees and jamborees. IMO, National should work on making the uniforms look good, not stress this cheap functionality gimmicks.

But oh well, if getting this uniforms means I'll have a cooler back and won't have my uniform reading "Boy S out Of Am rica," sure, I might consider spending my hard earned money on yet another shirt.

And I miss the old, first generation Switchbacks. A pity my pair doesn't fit me well anymore, because those were the bomb.

Designed by and for indoor scouters. Perfect for wear in the cubical at council or national offices, sitting on a folding chair listening to powerpoint presentations all Saturday long, or standing in line at buffets.

The uniform, overall, is costly, poorly designed, and too dainty for adventure. But rugged activities are not National priorities, hence the status quo.

For those that doubt me, find a shirt from the '50s or '60s, and give it a whirl, wear it everywhere. Even though the shirt might be 50 years old, you'll see it can withstand brush and briars, and still clean up good for the court of honor.

Remarkable that the BSA abandoned this concept in the '70s, and has struggled since to field a uniform that folks like.

In regards to the first generation Switchbacks, the nylon ones with the zipper in the lower leg, I must respectfully disagree with the comment they are not "outdoorsy." I've worn them way to much in the outdoors and have no problems, camping hiking, etc. I've used them both in the summer as shorts, as as a toplayer in winter 9 they really repel snow very well).

Could it have been made a little better, absolutely. Ripstop material, and sized properly would have been nice. But the pants were a heck of a lot better than the ODLs.

I know I haven't worn them working with the OA, but the problem is that they are so expensive, and you can longer get them, I'm afraid they will get damaged beyond repair.

Yes the old stuff is very good, I have one of the 1960s shirts and love it, just hate to take off all the patches from my early Scouter career and resew patches, but if I had the pants for it, i still wouldn't wear them for some activities for the same reasopn..