"Technically the sash is only for merit badges!"

Yes, the front of the sash is only for merit badges. The back of the sash, though...

The following is from http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/03.aspx

Excess Insignia

With the exception of the Cub Scout badges of rank and Arrow Points, members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered. Previously earned badges and insignianot representing present statusmake a fine display on a BSA red patch vest, a trophy hide or blanket, exhibited in the home of the recipient, or at functions where such a display is invited. Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash. Members may wear only one merit badge sash at a time. A merit badge sash is never worn on the belt.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BH ~ Thanks for the clarification. Apparently our scout shop "expert" was wrong!

Long and short of it~ I had my son's sash with me at the scout shop. He stopped me and said that my son would run into problems down the road because only merit badges are allowed to be placed on the sash. Good thing I didn't have him remove everything for his Eagle BOR.

Just FYI. This policy: "Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash." (please note it ONLY applies to temporary insignia NOT ranks) is something that was changed not too long ago. I want to say about a decade ago.

So if you are dealing with older scouters, they may not be aware that this policy changed and what used to be forbidden is now allowed.

The majority of our troop has blank backs. I will keep my eye out for any rank advancements.

I like the back of my sons' sashes because they house their pop corn pins, some awards (like Totin', mile swim) and my older son's pins he collected at 2010 Jambo. It all looks neat and presentable for formal events.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good for you (and him), but I still don't see the point. You said he received the "council level" patch for his course already. NYLT is a "council level" course. The generic NYLT patch is just another item to file in the shoe box. I hope he appreciates your efforts, but I doubt he'd wear it. I wouldn't. I'd wear the one I earned from my council.

BDPT00

I hear you and I get your point. I look at these extra patches, honors, and mementos as just that ...... mementos. If anyone has the luxury to travel they usually bring home some type of souvenir, in the form of a t-shirt, photos, or "dust collector".

That is what I want for "my scouts" ~ scouting souvenirs that they can look back on and remember their experiences. A type of trigger, conversation starter ~ whatever you want to call it. If they've earned it I will find it for them. That NYLT patch is universally known. Our local ones are not because our council scouts chose to go back to the original name (Thunderbirds or something like that) All of his patches (three years) are the local symbol.

I do value other's opinions ~ just clarifying mine!!

Understood. It's a good thing, and you should be commended.

I'm a fan of local names and traditions (as long as the syllabus is covered closely and completely). Add a few things here and there for flavor, and a local patch, and let's roll.

I don't care for the notion that a universal patch will carry as much clout as WB beads. As hard as some at the top level try, it's just not the same.

BDPT00