Another Good Reason For Wearing the Uniform.

As most of you know, I think there is a time to wear a complete uniform, i.e. meetings, service projects, and the like, and a time not to wear a uniform at all, i.e. on the trail, doing some "cheerful service" with the OA, and the like. When it is time for the uniform to be worn, it needs to be complete.

Green Bar Bill wrote a lot about why the uniform is important, but I will not repeat them here. My reason may seem selfish, but it is actually embarrassing to a degree: photo ops and PR.

Oldest son is one of the few Cubs in his pack with a complete uniform. When we showed at a district service project with little brother in tow, He was one of the few folks in complete uniform, and little brother was wearing a pack t-shirt and camp hat. Long story short, a newspaper photographer spent a lot of time following us around while we put out flags yesterday. Eventually he followed some others, but when I looked at the photos online, about 1/2 were of my family. I'm willing to bet if others were in complete uniform, there would have been fewer pics of us, and more of everyone working.

Oldest was also asked to be part of a flag ceremony at the CO today, and he was asked b/c he does have a complete uniform.

The uniform does make a difference.

EAgle92

Your reason is quite honestly as you said self centered. If photos in a paper are the main motivation for wearing a complete uniform you sure are not going to sell it to many others.

I guess I did not take away from that story that the uniform is to get photos in the paper.. Maybe that Eagle92 likes the PR that the uniform offers the unit, but lookig at the story minus that one sentence, I took away that the uniform gives you the image that everyone wants to see of a boy scout.. If the unit was in full uniform, they would not stand out as the sharper better image, and the group as a whole would get the recognition.

BP,

As I mentioned, I was getting somewhat embarrassed by having the photographer follow me and the boys around. Our job was to put out flags, not be models for the newspaper. A lot of folks were doing the same thing we were. And I am glad they got some pictures of those folks as well. But a good number of the photos on the paper's website is us. Again a little on the embarrassing side to be honest. It was just that oldest and I were in complete uniform.

As Moose states, the uniform is a public image of the BSA; one that folks equate with the BSA. If anything screams out "BSA BRAND" it's the uniform. And I wish national would get that,and hopefully our CSE's expereince prior to and at jambo will make folks realize how important one standardized uniform is.

Yeah, I giotta agree with Moosetracker:

It does not souind like the boy wore the uniform out of a pre planned notion to get publicity. He had no ide what a photoghapher would be thinking and planning.

He wore the uniform out of pride in wearing the uniform ( which is awesome) and as it turns out, the photographer chose to make him the photographic centerpiece of the story.

Yeah, it ended up being great for PR, but that wsn't the intent. It was a resultant bi-product of somebody's pride.

Plus, the scouts intenst are not summed up by any poster's feelings.

My .02:

We require our boys to be in pack t-shirts (they get one with their yearly registration dues) for den meetings and pack camp outings...it just makes it easier to track which boys belong to our pack, kwim?

We prefer, but do not require, a full uniform for pack meetings and at any pack event, i.e. going caroling to the local nursing homes during the holidays, selling popcorn, etc.

We do require at least the shirt, with all the required patches attached, hat, slider and neckercheif.

Sometimes the family cannot afford the pants, socks and belt. We do have some donations of outgrown clothes, but not many, and we are not a pack with a large financial base.

To push for a uniform because of photo ops and PR seems to be a bit shallow to me. I'd rather my boys be in t-shirts and showing compassion and leadership than in a full uniform and posing for photos. Wearing a uniform does not a Scout make, but the actions do.

CC,

Understand where you are coming from as I was one of those scouts. I didn't have official BSA pants until I was 14, using military pants in the meantime, and didn't have a brand new, out of the box, uniform until I worked for Supply and it was issued to me. In fact about 1/2 of oldest's uniform is "experienced."

Again not trying to be shallow, but to show that being in uniform can produce unexpected things to occur.

As for ideas to help your pack out, you said you have a uniform closet, have you checked out any thrift stores? I know our SCOUTREACH volunteer has an understanding with all the stores in our area that any scout related items get set aside for him. Didn't realize this until he laughed at a district committee meeting when I told him about not finding any uniforms for oldest, and he told me why.

But what I find very interesting is that those who cannot truly afford the full uniform, specifically the SCOUTREACH folks and a few others I know, are the ones who try the most to be fully uniformed and take more pride in it.

Great Job.

A wonderful service project.

We have been on our way home from an event with Scouts wearing clothes that identify them as Scouts (Not always full or correct uniforms.) And have received free food.

The Scouts didn't dress that way to receive a free ice cream.

They didn't stop wherever it was in order to get something for nothing.

We stopped because they like to eat.

Doesn't matter what they are wearing they just never stop eating.

Ea.

It was not why the uniform was being worn that was my question, it was Eagle 92 insistence that it was his logic why ONLY the FULL uniform should be worn in public that I took issue with. My point was whether the troop was in full uniform or half or just tshirts and jeans they still would have still gotten their pictures in the paper, the uniform was secondary to the event and the full uniform was unnecessary. Thats all.

BP,

If it seems as if my only reason for wearing the uniform in public is PR, then I apologize and emphatically state that it is not the case. As simple as it may sound, I really do believe what GBB said about the uniform, i.e. it is an equilizer, it is a symbol of scouting, it develops pride in the unit, etc.

I mention the PR/photo op because it was a surprise opportunity. Usually the photographer takes a group picture of everyone, scouts, leaders, parents, and siblings, who have helped out and that's it. This year they did something a little different by taking pics of us placing the flags out.

'Fish,

Yep "A Scout is Hungary" is the unoffical 13th point of the Scout Law. ;)

Eagle 92,

First off as someone who has very nice pics of my son in full uniform taken at the Pinewood that were in the paper I can tell ypu that it is great PR for the Pack. I have seen enough of your posts to "get to know you" and from what I know you are (as I am) a huge fan of proper and full uniforming as a part of Scouting and this was one of the unexpected benefits you saw from the Uniform and wanted to share what you saw as a serendipitous occasion for your son to get his picture in the paper and be a good Scout-like example for the public.

and "Yep "A Scout is Hungary" is the unoffical 13th point of the Scout Law.

When did becoming a country become part of the Scout Law? ;)