a new-new uniform shirt

Looks more like what I expect from a Scout shirt, from someone who was in scouting in the 80s and 90s. Almost identical to the shirts I had (that I just got from my mom, who had kept them in a closet all these years) except for the buttons (and the Made in Bangladesh tag).

I like it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who wore the De La Renta's in the 90s/early 2000s, I have to say that I like these ones...except for the buttons/velcro pockets. Then again, if I get one of these shirts, I can always take it to a tailor and have them switch out the buttons from my old shirt.

I was really bored for a few minutes, so I copy and pasted pictures from the scout stuff website onto a picture of the shirt. I have to say it doesn't look too bad...as liquidzoo said, it looks more like a scout shirt (as opposed to the centennials).

DWS,

You make a good point, but don't forget that a lot of times things say "dry clean only", but you can ultimately end up washing it. Also, there are those dry cleaning bags that you can buy and throw in your dryer. On the other hand, if you decided to get it dry cleaned and play it safe, then that is a tax-deductible expense. Just some food for thought.

Ryan

Do you find the rationale that "everybody has to have the same version of the uniform shirt to be 'uniform'" to be compelling enough to justify shelling out yet another $30+ for this latest version?

I do not. Our council didn't do so, either, for the 2010 Jamboree. They did require that everyone wear green shoulder loops, but they provided those. I don't know about staffing Wood Badge. On the other hand, I'll probably end up buying the shirt anyway. (Many councils also required that people have two shirts for Jamboree, but ours did not.)

Is this just the BSA's version of planned obsolescence?

Nah. Just over-enthusiasm from the people running those particular events.

As far as forcing you to buy a new uniform to participate, Id not stand for that. BSA uniform policy is made by two groups, National Council and a units Charter Org Local Council is neither.

Yeah - I don't think that argument holds. You might have an official BSA uniform, but participation in some particular activity can be contigent on lots of different things, and owning a particular version of the uniform is one. I'd be interested in hearing any documented policy that contradicts that, because it was a common thing for Jamboree, from what I heard.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=USHIRTS&C4=&LV=3&item=695BSSSS&prodid=695BSSSS^8^01RTL&

Wasn't this out BEFORE the 2010 Jambo?

This is one of the options we looked at while getting ready (aka buying more stuff) to staff. We both thought it looked dressier but were turned off by the flat pockets, shorter length, and wool (it's awfully humid at AP Hill).

As far as uniform requirements go, my son and I are in two different Councils and they both had the same requirements for staff - two complete uniforms. There was no specificity for "model" of shirt for either of us.

I'm serving on WB Staff this year. My question would be , how can they expect Venturer Leaders to wear the Tan uniforms? And should they? Our Scribe is a long experienced Scouter, who came back to Scribe to bring his vast experience to the Course. I have ben asking him about his Scouting history, and WB experience. He has been more then helpful. He went to WB in 1971. He was telling me how they used to require the Staffers to simplify their uniforms by taking off but the basic patches. Not unit numbers, or knots or position patches. Everyone had to have a Smoky the bear hat, and a red Jac Shirt. Also they had to have brown shoes. I can see doing this, as the course was slip up into the different programs back then. But now it's one program course. so how should this or can this be done?

'Box,

Staffer no longer wear the simplified uniforms but instead wear the uniform that their registered position wears, i.e. a Cub leader on staff wear's the uniform for their position with the blue loops, CS POR patch etc. A Venturing leader would wear the green and gray uniform. If your google Wood Badge and staff guide, I bet you'll find a full pdf with everything in it.

The good thing about being dry clean only is people will have to sew their patches on instead of using Badge Magic.

Badge Magic is ok for temporary use (I don't like it, but I've seen it used well), but for something permanent the patches should definitely be sewn on. It just looks unprofessional if it's done poorly and the badges start peeling off.

I can't sew to save my life, but I will make my own poor attempt (before my wife takes it from me and uses her sewing machine) before using the stuff.

I have the new poly/wool shirt, along with a poly/wool ODL. Both are actually not Dry Clean Only, they can be laundered. The pants on the other hand, I believe are.

I wash them with like items and maybe every 3rd time or so, I dry clean. They haven't shrunk, but from constant use, the ODL is starting to show wear (it's almost 20 years old). The material under the arms is starting to separate next to the stitching...it's stayed intact, the material is starting to come apart. I guess I could always turn it to get another new version, but I really like the ODL poly/wool. I'll probably take it to a seamstress and get the shirt repaired.