I have seen this before...an adult wearing a shirt that was slightly off-color and with military creases. A BSA strip over the right pocket (probably stripped off his old shirt). My reaction, was "hmmm, that's unique" (to myself), and returned to what I was doing. This council is in a military town, so it's not unusual to see uniform shirts in the thrift stores for $2.50. I can afford official BSA, so that's what I wear. Really don't care what the other guy does. Not as bad as the adults who wear rank patches and all their medals...ALL the time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember I knew a fellow scout back in the late 80's who did this. Hi mother was quite proud of the savings. We were in different troops but attended the same high school, were on summer camp staff together, and he was on my LEC when I was Lodge Chief. The shirt was tan, but the color was a bit too white-ish. And the pockets were almost square - they just had the bottom corners cut at 45-degree angles, which made his lodge flap look funny on the pocket. Honestly, I don't recall any Scouter ever giving him any grief over it. Us scouts, however, razzed him incessantly...

If all the other Scouts are in official uniform, how DOES the white turkey feel in the barnyard of all brown turkeys? Might not be real cool for the kid. Our troop has a very active "uniform exchange" that just happens to buy new uniforms as needed.