The uniform does not make the Scout, that is true.

However, (I'm not sure if the OP is an adult leader, scout, or parent) if the Troop has requirements for the uniform then those requirements should be followed.

Adult leaders should set an example for the boys to follow. If we're not wearing the official uniform (even if it's just the shirt) then they're less likely to do so.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand you correctly, if a troop mandates, as one troop in our town does, the Scout uniform is long scout pants, short sleeve shirt, scout socks, and black shoes this is the official uniform?

Would I also be out of uniform in long sleeve scout shirt, scout shorts, scout knee socks and hiking boots?

Since this troops also mandates 7 different "class B" shirts, am I out of uniform if I wore the wrong color that day?

The class A uniform should be fairly standard across all troops, though I'm sure there are exceptions to that. I have no experience with a troop that says they should only wear the scout pants, not the shorts.

Should a troop mandate multiple "Class B" Uniforms, then you would be in uniform in any of them (unless they were controlling enough to specify which uniform is appropriate for which days, which imo would be insane).

The topic is about the Class A uniform, though, if I read it correctly. I've never seen a troop have requirements other than an official BSA uniform top (long or short sleeved). I'm not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen one.

WOW. I liked that my troop followed the K.I.S.S. approach.

Class A's, aka Field Uniform, was any scout socks (knee or calf), scout shorts or pants (OK we did allow imitation or "fake" pants for those earning their uniforms and we didn't have their size in the closet but at some point in every scout's career, he did have a full uniform he), scout web belt (leather was reserved for adults as Skill Awards were worn at the time and were advancement. Once SAs went away, so did the restriction) official shirt, troop necker, woggle, and totem, and any scout hat. Worn to and from campouts year round, dinners year round, and COHs and other special events. Worn to meetings mid to late October to Mid to late April.

Class B's, aka Activity Uniform, see above minus the uniform shirt. Any scout t-shirt, i.e. troop, camp, supply or activity t-shirt, was allowed and worn from mid to late April until mid to late October at meetings. Also worn camping and other field activities.

I'd prefer a real scout in a fake uniform than a fake scout in a real uniform.

And speaking about uniforms being "uniform...BSA's aren't. They keep changing them and there are so many variations ands reasons to be different that they are not uniform.

A true uniform would be where everybody wore the exact same thing, with the exception of unit, council , jambo or awards knots.

Everybody would have the same boots/shoes, and everybody would have the same hat, necker, style of hat, shirts and pants/shorts.

A true uniform would be where everybody wore the exact same thing, with the exception of unit, council , jambo or awards knots.

Everybody would have the same boots/shoes, and everybody would have the same hat, necker, style of hat, shirts and pants/shorts.

AH but the necker is one of the most versalite and useful items on the uniform with 100s of uses, especioally if the original size, and most esp. if they were square like back in the day.

And one of the purposes of the necker originally was unit identity. Troops would make their own neckers and have their own color(s) and patterns incorporated into the necker. Look at the UK's Scout Association's website to see the different patterns.

And at one time there were BSA uniform shoes.

But E92, to actually use the neckerchief for one of those multitude of useful purposes, you generally have to take it off, so then you'd be out of uniform. So perhaps we should carry an extra one in our back pockets in case we find a use for it, but then the one around our neck becomes superflous. A bit of a casth 22 it seems to me.

Regards,

DWS

Just do it. When the uniform police come after you and give you a ticket, just say thank you.

In other words, there is nothing stopping you. If it suits your needs, (better quality, less expensive, more comfortable) then do it.

Not everyone can afford the complete uniform. There are not always uniform exchanges in every district or council. As for the uniform police, well let's just say that Scouting needs people and there are some people that need Scouting.

DWS,

Well if the Uniform Police come after you for not having a necker 'cause you have used it, just tell them to see the Good Turn police since you helped out someone, or the Scoutcraft Police since you used those skills. ;)

Just a few weeks ago I tied my necker to my walking stave to use it as a makeshift flag for Map and Compass Belt Loop. No uniform police were around, except me (to bad myscouting.org got rid of the dissussion threads. I wrote a hillarious, and sadly true one, about me being in the UP ;) Wish I would have saved it as a document. )

The ONLY TIME I would not use my neckerchief for something, is a GBB autographed necker. Learned the hard way that autographed neckers and washing machines do not mix :(

If it wasn't cost prohibitive ( for me, anyways) I would get a custom shirt. I have to buy my uniform shirt one size larger than my girth in order to be somewhat closer to my length.

I am 6'2" tall and weigh 256 pounds.

If I sneeze wrong, my shirt will come untucked. The best I can do is buy one larger in order to get a good length. But it's actually too big around for me.

So, again..If I had the money to spend on a custom shirt...I'd do it without hesitation!

What bothers me in the original post is a nice, high-quality tan shirt. To me this says, Im too good for the BSA uniform, not I cant afford it. This is why I made the Uniforms are uniform by design comment. One purpose on the uniform is to remove status symbols that are not an intended part of the program. I recall back on the early 80s, army surplus stores had lots of tan short sleeved shirts that looked just like the BSA shirt, except for the cut of the pocket corners. Many boys wore these shirts, due to hardship, that was an acceptable stop gap. Going out and buying a thousand count Egyptian cotton tan shirt is not.

• 1 month later...

I don't think trying to make a generic tan shirt into a scout uniform shirt would be worth the trouble unless it already had epaulets, and even then there's still the issue of getting a BSA strip to go above the left pocket - which would require a "donor" official shirt so you still need to get an official shirt, right? There are lots of good condition used uniforms floating around, so even in cases of financial hardship, getting an official shirt shouldn't be an excuse for "making" one.

If it's a question of simply not liking the official shirt, keep in mind there are 3 different official shirts currently (cotton/poly, nylon, and poly microfiber). There don't seem to be any rules against minor tailoring changes, especially if you have a fitting issue that can be addressed with some alterations. I did meet a scouter once who was so tall he couldn't wear official pants because they simply didn't make them long enough, so he got some pants that closely resembled the uniform pants. Pretty hard to slight a 7'+ guy for not being able to buy official pants.

So I think what I'm saying is, if there is a reason related to sizing to make up a "custom" uniform piece, then it's better than not having a uniform. But other than that, there's no valid reason to do it.