New Green Wool Jacket

The quality of material, button retention and overall value is just fine. The sizing and fit is really weird and you definitely need to try before you buy.

I am 5'9", 175 and average build. I tried one for fit wearing a polo shirt in the scout shop and bought a L size. However, after I got home and tried it with my uniform shirt I found that the epaulettes, loops and shoulder insignia made it too restrictive across the shoulders. I exchanged for the XL size which has good fit across the shoulders but the sleeves and length are now long and baggy. I'm not a body-builder with a barrel chest and shoulders.

Considering that it will be cool-weather and camp wear, I'm satisfied. But it's not fitted too well. Guess I need to find a tailor?

Seeing this is similar to my question, I will ask it here also.. I also like the color of the green jacket over the red (but don't dislike the red, and before the green came out was thinking of getting a red one).

But I am on staff for wood badge, and the course director wants us as uniformed to each other as possible. He did admit the changes of uniform styles over the years he is not forcing us all to get the uniform shirts & pants of this year's style so we match & will take the difference in style. But for the jacket he wants us all to have red (or no jacket.)..

Now ours is in August/October, and things can start being very cool.. But not only the color of the green vs red makes me hesitant over buying anything, but the extra cost of the green one being $30 cheaper then the red one is giving me pause..

For one year, I could maybe borrow my husbands (he is just a kitchen elf during the course).. But, if I get on staff in rotation this would not do as a several years type of solution.

Also I heard that the red jacket is being discountinued by people on the staff, and we probably could not get one now anyways, but when I went into the store I still saw the red one, and the person at the store knew nothing about them being discountinued.. But the fact I now fear them being discountinued, makes me think if I am going to buy red, I need to buy it now -or- never..

I know that no one can help my decision between green vs red.. But does anyone know if the difference in price is just because of difference in material, or because the material is better for me (more warmth, less itchy) etc.. Something I can feel I am paying an extra $30 for something that is more beneficial to me, as I could otherwise care less about different material.. Also has anyone else heard, is the red jacket being discountinued?

Well, this reminds me of the campaign hats. You can still get them on-line but not in my local scout shop. They are also prohibitively expensive. Otherwise I think more people might buy them.

Personally, I think it is unfair for wood badge staff to be required to buy such an expensive item whether it is being discontinued or not.

The red jackets went well with the old red hats, socks and eplets, but green would seem to go better with the new uniforms. Plus I know few guys who would wear a red wool jacket outside of scouts, but I see lots of guys wearing green fleece jackets. As more people opt for the cheaper and more stylish green ones the demand for the red will naturally go down and I won't be surprised if they are forced to phase out the red ones.

I am also curious how the new jackets fit with the uniforming standards. Can we put a big OA patch on the back like with the red ones? Will people be putting a Philmont bull on theirs?

I too have heard that the red jacket will be gone as soon as supplies are gone. EBAY is your friend, and you can probably get one cheap there, esp in the summer.

As for what can be worn on the new green jackets: everything that is authorized for the red jacket can be worn on the green one. Just as you can wear OA backpatches, the bull, loon or shark form the national HA bases, Varsity letter, etc on the red wool jac shirts, it could also be worn on the red windbreakers, as well as the old blue International Division windbreaker. If you look at the literature, it doesn't specify 'red jacket"

http://scoutingusa.org/Boy%20Scout%20Guide.pdf

bluejacket

You bring up a good point about sizing and this seems to always be a problem with asian made clothes since they are sized according to asian male standards not American males.

I've got both the red and the green jac shirts. I love the Green one, it fits in a bit better when on a camp out. I also have a Council Fleece jacket which I tend to wear most..

The Green one does look stranger with the patches sewn on it though..

My wife got me one of these for Christmas.

I do like it but it is not the same as the Red wool jacket.

They are both listed as a Jac-Shirt.

IMHO- the new green one feels and looks more like a shirt than a jacket.

It doesnt seem as heavy (as in material) either

The red one looks more like a jacket than a shirt

But for the jacket he wants us all to have red (or no jacket.)..

If anyone were to tell me what kind of jacket or coat I was allowed to wear, I'd tell them to shove it. Ridiculous. It's a *coat.* You should be allowed to wear whatever makes you warm enough.

ScoutBox,

I agree, my husband bought a jacket 5 or more years ago.. It is a nice heavy wool jacket.

about 3 years ago, I went to pick up a jacket for a mother who was making a present of it to here son for Eagle.. I found the jac/shirt, and asked where the jacket was as this was only a shirt. I had to call the mother and explain the jacket was no more, and now it would only be a wool shirt for the price of the Jacket..

Since then, (I think) they added a little more weight to it, but it is still not the quality of the older Red jackets..

As for the Woodbadge course director asking for a uniform jacket, or nothing.. Can't say what other course director's did before him.. I am a newbie to the staff. For all I know, he is just carrying on what every course director before him required, only this year he had the extra choice of accepting the green as well a red Jacket, and chose to stay with Red.

Maybe as green gets to be the *ONLY* thing people can buy, and more people buy them, it will turn to either or, then 10-15 years down the road become green only..

My understanding is that once uniform, always uniform. Also WB21C no longer demands the uniformity of the previous WB course. So if someone was to wear their old green 1950s scout jacket, they can do so. If someone was to wear their red jacket from the 1960s with all their patches on it (which patches all predate the patch policy on early to mid 1970s), they can do it.

Do you have a copy of the WB21C staff guide to review?

I purchased a nice red fleece jacket, exact same color as the wool jacket, on sale for around $20. I'm very tall, 6'6", so I could get the red fleece that fits me nicely (sorry, no tall mans clothing in the Scout Shop). I bought the pocket patch from the Scout Shop, sewed it on, and I'm all set. It even has the same kind of fuzz that the wool has, nice warmth wet or dry, and I can toss it in the wash with no hassle. Wool is an awesome thing, but no contest to fleece for light weight, warm, durable, outerwear for the kinds of outdoor activities we do in Scouting. They've moved to durable and functional materials and design in the uniforms. Seems they should continue moving there with the jackets. I can get a green fleece nearly looking like the new green wool jacket, that is considerably lighter (nice for backpacking or lugging around at outings) and a fraction of the cost. Years ago, in the 1970's, I had the red wool jacket, but even then the sleeves were too short. I like my update far better (plus it has nice warm pockets).

Well, I truely have no intention of picking an arguement with my Course Director.. Per everything else of uniform as stated he is fine with the old & new uniforms.. Just has something about the green jacket looking different.

Truthfully he is a most awsome, coolest guy.. Makes you feel a part of things and a valuable member.. This little snafu is all it is a little snafu in comparison of the wonderful personality and all he does for scouts & scouters.. I will not organize to rattle his chains over something like this..

Now if I had the Course director who I had when I took wood badge, I would be happy to rattle his chains, teeth and gums..