New Commissioners Knot ??

I happen to get this post on yet another new knot (?) from national called the Commissioner Award of Excellence in Unit Service I dont know how accurate this info is so I thought I would post it here. This forum seems to generate alot of interesting talk.

I like awards but I think national is going in the wrong direction with position speciffic awards like this (and others).

http://thescoutpatchauction.com/blogsite/2011/04/20/new-commissioner-knot-coming/

Not sure if that is really needed. After the arrowhead honor, we have the commissioner's key knot, Distinguished Commissioner's award knot and the commissioner's college knot. Granted 1 takes 3 years to earn and the other two over 5 years but still. Most commissioner's probably don't feel the need for any more. I am interested to see the criteria.

This might be reaction from the Fall 2010 Commissioner Newsletter. There was a Q&A section toward the end which talked about awards, the question being "How do I apply for the Distinguished Commissioner Award?"

It goes on to say you can't apply and that the Council Commissioner has to agree on the award. I know a council I used to be a commissioner for had a form and each commissioner just kept track of their progress, turned it in, and was awarded the plaque and knot.

The Council I serve as a commissioner right now has a very large commissioner corps, but there are way more SB awards among them than DCAs, and they don't seem to be given out that often. This might be a way to hand out another award while "elevating" an existing one to a higher stature.

I see the motivation as one of two things....perpetuating the "knot" culture or the NC making up another award to attract more UCs and get the national ratio down to 1:3.

I think that we have enought awards for commissioner service but I also think BSA is trying to motovate people with awards as well. I did see a pic on the link of the knot, its all gold on red. I did see in the blackhawk area council they have something similar that recogonizes commissioners at the end of the year but who knows if its the same award/ new commish knot......

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah great.... now I have to go buy all the old patches. I thought the centinnel stuff was ok and I liked the history behind them but I prefer my silver wreath as a UC. Just another ploy for BSA to make a couple bucks. I hope BSA changes the uniform again so we have something truely crappy looking.

I don't see how another knot will make me provide better service? How about focus on recruitment of UCs oh wait that's the alumni knot....never mind.