5 month old Class A shirt coming apart?!?!?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Never been a "Class A." But that's just a name. More interestingly, there is no B.S.A. "Activity Uniform" (AKA "Class B"). There is just the uniform -- in so many manifestations that it is not uniform.

Actually the BSA did have an Activity Uniform consisting of khaki short and a colored polo shirt specific to what you were: red for Boy Scouts in a troop, maroon for Boy Scouts who were members of a venture crew, now called a venture patrol, and khaki for Varsity Scouts.

They were not popular and were did away with. BUT once uniform, always uniform.

Also if you read current BSA lit, specifically the BSHB if memory serves, there is a description of the activity uniform which is scout socks, shorts or pants, belt, and a scout t-shirt or polo.

I just had to present "Uniforming" at a University of Scouting, so I had a chance to refresh and review. Nothing jacks you up more than presenting to who-knows-who about a topic.

It's a long time since the "Activity" shirt, and that's all it was: an "Activity Shirt."

The closest the BSHB comes to prescribing an official "activity uniform" is on p. 33, where it says: "When you're headed outdoors, you can pull on a T-short with Scout pants pr shorts, or wear other clothing that is right for the events of the day." Does not even say Scout T-shirt, which the "Class B" or "Activity Uniform" is said to require.

That language is below: "The BSA's official uniform includes a Scout shirt, Scout pants or Scout shorts, Scout belt, Scout socks, and shoes or hiking boots."

Actually for a very brief time, the new Boy Scout shorts/swimsuit advertised on SCOUTSTUFF.ORG did mention that the new shorts were great 'cause you could run from the waterfront in your Class B's, put on your uniform shirt and be in Class A.

But that was changed after about a month or so.

Eagle92, it's interesting that National has flirted with using class A/B, and then backed away.

I'm willing to bet it will be official one day...or maybe not. Either way, I fully support unit leaders' right to call their uniform combos anything they wish.

"Actually for a very brief time, the new Boy Scout shorts/swimsuit advertised on SCOUTSTUFF.ORG did mention that the new shorts were great 'cause you could run from the waterfront in your Class B's, put on your uniform shirt and be in Class A."

Those shorts have been discontinued according to our local Scout Shop. I got a pair at half price. ^___^

I suppose we could call Scout shorts and a T-Shirt a carrot. It's just communication. (^____^)

I don't know about patch edges, but mine (the poly/cotton) is 9 months old and the iron-on "BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA" letters are all starting to peel off from the bottom up.

Taking it back to the scout shop, maybe they'll replace it with one of the shirts with the lettering embroidered on.

I have been consistently unimpressed with the centennial shirts all the way around. IMO the BSA made a big mistake making a "field uniform" shirt that won't be worn in the field except for religious services and ceremonies.

It all depends on the Scout Shop. I have taken back things in which they required that I get the same product, other times they let me get a similar product.

I once had the fabric compltetly come apart on a pair of BSA Cotton slacks that I had only worn twice since getting them hemmed. (like the poly/wools but cotton, they aren't made anymore), they insisted that I get the same pair. The reason was probably that they knew they were being discontinued. I still have the pair and they haven't been hemmed yet, still hanging in my closet.

Good luck, I have two poly/wool shirts (one ODL and a newer version), I really like them. With the newer version, unlike the one's with the pocket on the sleeve, although you can't see the pocket buttons, they button into the pocket (in reverse of a normal shirt)...so if you wear your OA uniersal ribbon or 75th Anniversary Award, there is no fear of it falling off.

I once had the fabric compltetly come apart on a pair of BSA Cotton slacks that I had only worn twice since getting them hemmed. (like the poly/wools but cotton, they aren't made anymore), they insisted that I get the same pair.

Interesting interpretation. Probably not a National-owned store. Here's what the Scoutstuff website says:

You are the final judge of our products. If, for any reason, you are dissatisfied with any item purchased from the Boy Scouts of America, you can either exchange the item for a replacement or receive a full and complete refund. No questions asked.

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know any better and took their word. I should just take them into my seamstress and have them hemmed.

The only thing is, I only have one 100% cotton shirt and I have some weird adverson to wearing different fabric uniform parts together. With two pairs of pants and only one shirt, the pants won't get worn that often. I've been scouring eBay and other avenues for a NOS 100% cotton shirt, but I haven't found a thing.

Yep there are differences in stores.

National Scout Shops MUST, repeat MUST, take back items if you are not satisfied. When I worked for supply I had folks turn in stuff that was "well loved" like the 30 year old back Yucca pack and L frame which we no longer sell. Since it was no longer in the system, we couldn't give him his money back, but offered a new pack in exchange, which he gladly took. Don't know how we would have given him his money back though. Ditto a bunch of patches that someone found while moving. The patches were the old colored BS rank patches and some other patches from the 1980s, and they were still in the bag with the receipt. Scout shop accepted them, and they were very promptly sold to a collector who was in the store.

But Council and local distributorships can create their own return policies. I know my local distributer will not accept damaged items at all b/c she has to pay a fee for returns. She advises that we make a trip to the national store.