Think we had this discussion in the "what do you want national supply to stock" thread ...

Bought 2 pair the week they came out -- been warm enough down here for the last month that I have been wearing my pants with the legs zipped off, and my new socks.

Had one person comment -- if they went up a little higher you could make them into knickers and look like a 20s Scout!

• 2 weeks later...

I have them too jr56, though I have not had occasion to wear them since the mid-1970's. I have shown them to my son (complete with the garters and tassels) and he was very amused by them.

I take it the new knee socks do not have the garters and tassels?

Just a few corrections but "knickers" are underwear not socks. If you were in the UK and said nice knickers to a woman you would get slapped.

men wear "hose and flashes" not garters and tassels

I wear kilts on occasion and hose(socks) and flashes (garter/tassel) are the correct terms. Being that Baden Powell wore a kilt on occassion I am willing to bet the hose and flashes he wore with short pants were probably the same he wore with his kilt or of the same construction.

Actually, "knickers" are NOT underwear in the U.S. They are male pants, usually of heavy material, that reach just below the knee and are gathered at the bottom. Usually worn with socks that come up to the bottom of the pants. (Look on old "Our Gang" movies.)

"Knickers" as underwear is strictly a British term. This is an American forum (although we welcome our British cousins, of course.).

Yes I have a waist coat with my Prince Charlie jacket. Curious the mentioning of this being an American forum and knickers being an American term what did Jefferson, Washington and Franklin put on? Breeches, same design and construction?

• 2 weeks later...

'92 --

Actually a waistcoat is more than a vest. Usually it is longer, and usually has a collar. It is actually proper to wear a morning suit or tuxedo and take off your jacket if you have a "true" waistcoat.

When I worked in London for 6 months back in 2001, I lived near Savile Row, and had one made, it still looks marvelous, and I wear it at least once a month (and usually more ... I'm also an active Mason, so I frequently wear a tuxedo to Masonic functions ... even in Florida). I also love the fact it has a full back.

This is what a waistcoat looks like: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/img/HOME%20PAGE%20PHOTOS/Mid-Grey-Lapelled-Waistcoat.jpg