Neckerchiefs- - Over or Under?

Guess we need to revisit "Scouting with the Neckerchief". Now that they have the full sized ones again, they can be used for much of what was done once, such as slings and roller bandages. A few years back, National put out a reprint of the booklet, along with a full sized squared neckerchief. Have one in the drawer with my other "stuff". Of course I already had the booklet and older neckerchiefs. Great booklet though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the 1990s some Wood Badge Troops would remove the collars with seam rippers.        

I'm going with this...

"We are anxious to have the co-operation of every Scout and Scout Official in making effective the regulations covering the Official Uniform, Insignia and Badges. To tolerate a conscious disregard for requirements, even in simple matters, breeds disrespect for law and order.

"When I have found boys wearing the neckerchief, under instead of over the shirt collar, it developed that invariably the Scouts, and indeed their own Scoutmaster, did not understand the correct way of wearing the neckerchief. I am anxious that every Scout and Scout Official study the diagram, wear the neckerchief in the right way, and that he invite the attention of other fellows to the right way, when he finds them wearing it wrong."

James E. West, 1927

(This message has been edited by mr.jimi)

1HR,

You can simply wear the necker over the collar, but it looks best when it isn't "competing" with the collar by tucking the collar under. That is what I do with my Wood Badge necker and I don't find it uncomfrotable at all.

Over or under barely matters to me, just stop buttoning the top button and tightening down the slide like a Windsor knot. Scouts don't look like they can even breathe.

Why is there a top button on the shirts anyway?

Some units still have the adults in ties. I know of one unit that has a stash of ties for their leaders to wear at formal events with the field uniform. I got some looks when I showed up at their ECOH with a necker on instead of a tie, with a few folks thinking I was still a youth (don't I wish ;) ).