Shoulder Loops

Well when Boy Scouts and their leaders wore the red ones, it was easy to distinguish the Webelos and Cub Scout leaders from Boy Scouts and their leaders.

Now with the switch to green, from a distance you cannot tell who's who.

• 2 weeks later...

The green loops are for the centennial uniform, the Oscar DeLa renta uniform is to be worn with the red loops, for scouts, or scouters, who are functioning in role with a Boy Scout Troop. The loops represent the individuals registration for the position in question.

Blue are for Cub Scout

OD Green/Red for Boy Scouts

Blaze Orange for Varsity Scouts

Forest Green for Venture Scouts of Explorers (also Sea Scout is in BSA tan uniform)

Silver for District or Council

Gold for Area, Region, or National

I hope this helps

"I hope this helps"

not if you get it wrong.

"The green loops are for the centennial uniform, the Oscar DeLa renta uniform is to be worn with the red loops"

No, you can wear the OD green loops on the Oscar DeLarente uniform. NOTHING from National says you have to wear the red on the ODL uniform.

"Blue are for Cub Scout" Cub scout leaders and webelos Scouts

OD Green/Red for Boy Scouts & Troop leaders.

Blaze Orange for Varsity Scouts & Varsity leaders.

Forest Green for Venture Scouts of Explorers (also Sea Scout is in BSA tan uniform)"

There are no such thing as "Venture Scouts" in the BSA. They are called Venturers. Also, Venturing crew adults wear the forest green loops as well.

Explorers are no longer part of the BSA. They do not wear the green uniform any more.

Sea Scout leaders do NOT wear BSA tan uniforms. We wear Navy-style tan uniforms (most of us wear Dickies). Sea Scout tan uniforms do NOT have epaulets.

"Silver for District or Council

Gold for Area, Region, or National"

that is correct.

Yep National did say in the literature prior to the CUs coming out (May 2008) that ODL uniform elements were interchangeable with the CUs, so you could have someone in a CU wearing red loops, red and white numbers, and an old red and tan trained strip (although it might not fit above the "smokes pocket" flap ;) ), and someone in an ODL wearing the new stuff..

IMHO the release of the CUs was a huge SNAFU as the information on it changed several times, especially in relation to Cubs and their leaders. I know that it caused some "irritation" with parents and leaders, and I still see "vintage" August 2008 - April 2009 uniforms among leaders, and a few Webelos who go ahead and buy the green and tan numbers instead of a new set of red and whites that they will wear for a few months.

Forgot to add, in '83's defense, I have seen some Sea Scouts wearing the BSA uniform shirt with the green loops and tan Sea Scout strip, as well as blue loops with the First Class Anchors on the loops. Ditto some in the green and gray Venturing uniforms.

Grant you that's not official Sea Scout uniform now, but as someone stated on the seascout.org boards, some units still wear their "piratical costumes" and the uniforms in the traditional way, i.e. bugs on covers, unit numbers, etc.