Eagle Mentor Pin on Scout Uniform

I will continue to wear my two mom's pins one on each collar til I die. I am proud of the fact I have 2 sons who are Eagles.

Uniform police here I am. LOL Come and try to take them off or give me a hard time about them. LOL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enough. This is like arguing over where curly brackets go in C. This thread started in 2011 and was added to in '12 through '16 before being started again recently. And nothing has changed with r

We have a new CM that knows it all because, well you know. He poked my kid the other day and stated loudly, "he can't that have that patch there, you know". Its a Whittlin' Chip patch on his

If he truly poked (touched)the child that is physical abuse of a youth member under youth protection and he should be reported if he want to get all legal about scout rules.  

My attitude on uniforming...

I care about my correct uniforming. I don't care about your correct uniforming. I will give Insignia Guide answers when asked questions about uniforming, and will only point out uniforming issues to others when conducting a uniform inspection or if it's something really messed up, like getting sleeves or pockets reversed.

Why is it the only ones that get bent out of shape about the uniform are other scouters?

When I walk into a restaurant in uniform with some of our boys, nobody comes up and asks or tells me that I have a pin or other doohickey on my uniform that's not supposed to be there. They see the uniform as a representation of the Boy Scouts of America, they also look at the boys with more regard, instead of a bunch of kids that are going to reek havoc in their store for about an hour.

The same goes for military uniforms. I don't know what every ribbon in the "fruit salad" means, but that soldier, or airmen, or sailor, or marine knows what it means to them. When I see a soldier in dress uniform, I'm not thinking about whether they have something on wrong, I see the uniform for what it's supposed to represent.

Wear your mentor pin with pride if you choose too, you earned it.

BDPT00 is correct. However, let me say that Id leave it right where the young man put it. Typically Im big on following uniform regs, but in this case, Id where it on my left pocket flap with pride. What I suggest is against policy, but I doubt anyone would ever say a word about it.

** Then you're clearly not on my training staff or one of my commissioners. If you're in a position to represent the BSA to other Scouts/Scouters, you should be in proper uniform. I won't mess with you if you're not one of mine, but I'll correct your uniform if you're in my charge.

BDPT00

BDPT00 wrote:

** Then you're clearly not on my training staff or one of my commissioners. If you're in a position to represent the BSA to other Scouts/Scouters, you should be in proper uniform. I won't mess with you if you're not one of mine, but I'll correct your uniform if you're in my charge.

BDPT00

BDPT00, just as clearly youre not on my staff, or one of the commissioners in my charge. If you were Id instruct you in the purpose of the program, and the importance of recognizing the accomplishments of the scout, and his scouter mentor. That simple mentor pin not only makes that scouter aware of the impact of this contributions, but also makes it more likely hell continue to contribute. Additionally, that simple pin will instill confidence in the units program, with youth, parents, and volunteers. There is even the added benefit of inspiring youth to greater accomplishments, both the young man who presented the pin, and those who would place another beside it! Mess with me, please, that gave me a good chuckle. Do us all a favor, get the starch out of your corset, and put your focus back on the program.

Proper uniform wear. I was visiting with a unit not long ago when I witnessed what I consider proper uniform wear. The youth were working on the tracking merit badge in an adjacent wooded area, and I was speaking with the CC and SM in the parking lot. The scouts emerged from the woods, shirts half untucked, dirt liberally applied, headgear sweat soaked and askew, evidence of a recent visit to the brier patch in their socks, a half torn off patch visible on one scout, and one scout even using his uniform shirt tail to apply pressure to a cut. Now that is correct uniform wear, and what Norman Rockwell should have painted. The scouts where not ashamed, but proud, and we all soon shared the scouts smiles.

(This message has been edited by Old_OX_Eagle83)

• 10 months later...

I have read through everyone's comments today and I must admit I'm torn. As a former Marine I completely understand and respect the importance and value in doing everything possible to adhere to uniform regulations. Then on the other hand I find myself agreeing with Desertrat in believing that the mentor pin does absolutely nothing to discredit the uniform. It's a very small pin but carries quite a bit of meaning to its owner. My two cents for what its worth is that BSA should acknowledge the desire on behalf of the recipients of the pin and designate a spot on the uniform where it can be worn proudly. Let's not let this issue divide us because I think we can all agree that as leaders we have far too much to be working on for the good of these young men than to take issue with an Eagle mentor wearing his/her pin on their uniform. Happy Scouting to you all!

Parent pins and mentor pins. If wearing it on your uniform makes you feel good please continue to do so. I challenge all that do this to take it one step further. In addition to your uniform wear it on your civilian cloths. Wear them on your blazers, shirt collars, blouses, ties, sweaters, and hats. Wear them to work and Church. Wear them to town and PTA meetings. Wear them when you go to vote.

It is more important for us to show people outside of scouting how proud we are of our sons accomplishments (or our own accomplishment with the mentor pin), then it is showing people inside of scouting (they already know).

Been awhile. Sorry for the soap box.

The use of uniforms in scouting is a tool. Scouts do not care what the requirements are, scouters even less at the start. National puts out a guideline that is hopefully folowed. How the tool of uniform is used depends on each Troops situation, doesn't it?

I have been active the troop that I serve for 18 plus years (Eagle'68, ASM 10 years or so, MC 3 years and SM 6 yrs, now ASM, working with a Scout led troop) and as an adult scouter the uniform that I wear plays in two ways. One of course is to try to impress the scouts in that if I can wear it so can they (matter of expectation thing), the other is to impress the parents of the scouts. IMHO when it comes down to gritty, gotta have the parents.

When the Cubs cross over into Boy Scouts parents recognize the Webeloes Arrow of Light. They do not recognize the knot that adult leaders that have earned it as youth or any other of the stuff we put on uniforms.

For that reason, I wear my AOL earned as a youth at the bottom of my left pocket, the new parents understand that and then know that I have been there, done that sort of thing.

I also wear the camping coup/beads earned as a youth and as an adult, once again a been there done that sort of thing.

Point is.. I wear my Eagle Dad pins (2) on my collar as I am very proud of bothof my sons earning of Eagle. I wear my Mentor pins on my left pocket cover as I am humbled that a young man thought I was worthy of them.

If the wearing of these pins in a 'non-published' way helps keep youth and adults involved in scouting helps...then so be it.

These recognitions and their placement while not 'sanctioned' have a use and are valuable tools used properly in the creation of a scout and a scouter.

box broke

yis

red feather

This stuff reminds me of practicing Catholicism. You have some things that are "Officially Biblical " and some things that are part of the "Living Tradition".

I think the intent of wearing the Eagle Mentor pin outweighs any Omission/Commission sin of not adhering to BSA uniform standards.

I follow the uniforming guidlines but there is nothing wrong with sticking a pin on the uniform shirt that represents a significant portion of your service to the boy scouts. Those little pins make great coversation pieces and tell a story about our journey in scouting.

• 2 months later...

I found a way to wear my Eagle Dad pin on my uniform while conforming to IG. I had a nameplate made with my name engraved in the right 2" of it. Then I cut the pin off my Eagle Dad pin and used jeweler's epoxy to place it on the left one inch. Now I can display my proudest "award" - my son's attainment of Eagle - right on the uniform. Legally.

• MattR locked this topic