Eagle Mentor Pin on Scout Uniform

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enough. This is like arguing over where curly brackets go in C. This thread started in 2011 and was added to in '12 through '16 before being started again recently. And nothing has changed with r

We have a new CM that knows it all because, well you know. He poked my kid the other day and stated loudly, "he can't that have that patch there, you know". Its a Whittlin' Chip patch on his

If he truly poked (touched)the child that is physical abuse of a youth member under youth protection and he should be reported if he want to get all legal about scout rules.  

Mine are on the left pocket flap, left side. The Eagles who presented them to me thanked me for wearing them as they are they ones who pinned them on, the wearing was important to them (and me). I do know which one belongs to which Eagle.

yis

red feather

BDPT00 - is correct with what he says they are not for the uniform.

But, my husband & I follow what others say.. I put mine on my left pocket. He puts his on the left collar.. He definately has many more then me, having been advancement coordinator for our troop. My scout jobs did not have me working directly with the kids, but our whole family was a scouting family to one boy as his family wasn't involved (he gave a pin to everyone in my family, including my son).. There was one other scout I also became close to and helped guide who gave me & my husband a pin.

I do believe they are the top honor an adult leader can receive..

While I have always, since the onset of the pin, encouraged my Eagles to give the pin to someone other than myself, explaining that surely there were adults who pushed, prodded, and inspired them to make the final effort, I do have one. And, it is worn proudly on my left pocket flap. Not in line with the guide (soon being left behind); so be it.

Just curious to those who know it is not supposed to go on the uniform but wear it anyway, what is your "litmus test" in deciding what regulation to follow and which was to ignore?

I wear mine right next to to my Eagle "dad" pins - on my suit coat.

Congratulations to thriftyscout!

I'm with acco40 on this one. What is the rationale for following some parts of the IG while ignoring others? What example are we setting when we ignore the rules to show off a recognition? To me, it looks like we're suggesting that Eagle Scout mentors are allowed to bend the rules. Parent pins (and the like) should stay off the uniform: an Eagle parent/mentor pin is no more permissible on the uniform than a Tenderfoot parent pin.

My Rationale.. I have never been in the military.. I am not any way shape or form a uniform police.. And although it is the only thing I (think) I don't follow.. I could have gone for a number of knots by now, I have no intrest in the knots.. Since to me it is the highest honor, I will wear mine with pride, because it is insane not to.. It is like giving you your general stipes and telling you you have to wear them on your t-shirt at home..

Who on earth in my civilian life would know what they are and care a whit about them?? I just think that someone missed the mark on this call.. And as I have said, I am not a military perfectionist..

• MattR locked this topic