Yet another Centennial Quality Unit Patch question

Who wears the CQU patch? If the unit earned the award, does everyone in the unit wear the patch, or only those who were a member of the unit when it was earned?

Do crossing Webelos (and leaders) wear this if the troop earned it last year or not?

Sorry of this has been asked before, but I could not find it anywhere.

The way I see it, there are 2 ways of looking at this.

Only the boys and adults who contributed to the unit achieving quality status should wear the patch.

Or, it is an honor the troop has earned, and would make a good recruiting tool. (Join our troop and we will give you one of these to wear on your uniform)

I guess it would be up to the individual unit to decide.

my feeling andit is reflected on my mand my son's uniform, he was an active member last year when the unit was awarded unit of honor and quality unit and I was just "Dad". Now I am the ACM, his uniform has the cool CSP for unit of honor and the geegaw for quality unit and I am without eiher. I didn't help earn them so I don't wear them.

The unit receives the award, not the individuals in the unit. I'd probably leave it up to the unit to decide.

But in practice, at least around here the last few years, is once the patches have been distributed usually based on the official roster counts, it's next to impossible to get your hands on more.

The unit earned the award. I have a stack of patches in hand which will be presented at the next troop meeting. We had Webelos cross over last month. Both packs from which these Cubs came earned the Centennial Quality Unit Award. Both packs share with us the same Charter Organization. Should I single out the pervious scouts who were with the troop and deny it to the new scouts, or give it to everyone. We also have some leaders in the same postion.

Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

My son is wearing a patch which says, among other things, "100% Boys' Life". Ironically, he's the only one in the unit who didn't get Boys' Life at the time the award was earned*. :)

We're in a different Pack this year, and the current Pack doesn't seem to have an interest in that particular patch. So I'll probably recommend that he takes it off next year. But for the time being, I guess I'm teaching him some of my contrarian skills.

(*-Before anyone complains, yes, a Scout is Trustworthy, but this was a very unusual situation and was 100% proper.)

It is a unit award which recognizes the previous year's completion. My understanding is that "all" uniformed troop members wear it for the year it is in place, 2011. It should be removed the following year and replaced with whatever the new recognition might be, or left off if not earned this year. No one should be wearing the previous years' patches with others beneath them. Old ones go on a brag rag of some sort, or in a book, or wherever you put them.

According to the Insignia Guide, "Only the most recently earned Quality Unit emblem may be worn." So if a unit earned the award in 2009 but not 2010, there's no reason to remove the 2009 patch from the uniform.

I see no issue with wearing an old QU patch if a new one hasn't been worn (tho it is a bit embarrasing?).

As noted, its a unit award. If you are part of a unit when they earned it, wear it. If you joined a unit that didn't earn it, don't wear it. If you joined a unit that did earn if after that period, don't wear it.

And, as noted, you only wear one. There was a time with the older version of this award (old honor unit award) that multiple ones were allowed. This got out of hand (rows of 3-4 worn, double rows), and National said only one is worn. The larger size kind of makes it harder to wear more then one. Maybe that was on purpose.

I'm with Pchadbo, My son was in the pack last year as a Tiger and I was just his adult partner (not a registered leader). He earned award and wears it. This year I became his den leader, but I don't wear it (even though they sell it at the Scout Store. My sister den leader wears it even though we started at the same time). My thoughts is that if I wasn't a registered leader during the period of performance, I would be stealing their effort by wearing the patch. For me, I've worked pretty hard this year as a den leader so I will proudly wear this year's patch because I know we earned it.