Just for fun: Knot for First Class Scouts?

Eagle707,

sounds like you are just looking to add to your collection of knots so you could look more like a Panamanian Genral. ;-)

I like the idea of promoting first class as a very admirable goal.

How about having a Not Knot? Leave a blank space (center bottom where it will be obvious that it is not there). Cause I'm not an Eagle. I've not earned a youth religious award. It's not...well you get the idea.

Not in the slightest. I'm content with my Eagle, AoL, and religious award knots.

I just keep hearing it brought up (and I've lived in a few councils) so I thought I'd pose it here. I've also got several things that don't have corresponding knots and I don't shoehorn them onto my uniform because it wouldn't be correct uniforming. So no, this has nothing to do with decorating my uniform.

What's with the "Panamanian General" epithet by the way? Since when is "general" an insult? Or "Panamanian" for that matter? Panamanians are just as loyal of Scouts as we are: http://www.scoutspanama.org/

Again, a demonstration of the need for a sarcasm font.

I was referring to the MANY dicussions on this board of the number, type, way and even whether or not to wear knots. It was an ill fated attemt at sarcasm in writing

;-)

With all the different knots available, I'm just waiting on the iphone app that you take a picture of the knot, and then it comes up with the title of the knot and the requirements for it. Or maybe the pocket reference card that could actually fit in the small outside pocket of the centennial pants.

IMO!

Why not just one large patch embroidered with all the knots for every scout rank earned as a youth and all other training knots as well. It could be 8-10" in diameter and you could hang it on a lanyard and wear around your neck.

Eagle707. I think that there is already a knot the boys should be reaching for. And that the Eagle. I think adding even more little things is a bit too much. Starting to sound like an everybody wins sporting event. Where no one wins the event, but everyone gets a trophy. ????? I think that the boys trying to reach Eagle should be award enough. Like the AOL as a Cub. Funny thing I did see the other night was a boy from another troop who's earned his AOL, and was wearing the Knot instead of the AOL patch below his pocket?? But I'm just an ASM.

I'm still a little bit amused that the Arrow of Light knot exists, but I proudly wear it anyway. I figure National Supply probably needed the $1.49, and perhaps it might serve as a miniscule incentive to my Tiger Cubs. But still, it amounts to something I did when I was 10 years old, and truth be told, I only have it because my parents decided 40 years ago that Cub Scouts was a good thing for me to be doing.

So if anyone really wants a First Class knot, I would be willing to share some of my glory. There could be three slightly different versions of the Arrow of Light knot (just like there are two versions of the Eagle knot). Discerning viewers of the uniform could get out their magnifying glass and determine my exact scouting history. One version would be for AOL. The second version would be for First Class. The third version would be for those who were both AOL and FC.

Those like me who would need to upgrade to the combined knot would be an additional source of revenue, as we would all line up with our additional $1.49.

This is a win-win situation. Former youth members who weren't in Cub Scouts, and who didn't make Eagle (a fairly large group) will get a knot showing that they've been around since their youth. People like me don't get their uniform cluttered up with knots for every single youth accomplishment. And knot afficionados get a couple new ones for their collection.

Clem,

My understanding of why the AOL knot exists si b/c it is the top award for Cub Scouts. Just as Boy Scouts have Eagle, Sea Scouts have Quartermaster, Exploring had Ranger, Silver, Young American, Ace, et al (depending upon time frame and program specialty), and Venturing has Silver, why not have an AOL Knot?

Oh, like I say, I wear mine with pride, since it shows that I climbed to the top of the Cub Scout ladder. But I'm still a little amused that I'm wearing something to show off my accomplishments as an 11 year old. :)