What Would You Add to the National Store?

Official Boy Scout Garrison Hat

My brothers were all in Scouts when I was growing up (a Cub) and I have fond memories of them wearing these. They would take the hat off when they came inside, fold it, and slide it under their belt.

Granted, no sun protection, but very retro and very cool.

Here's one... http://www.etsy.com/listing/48218475/vintage-boy-scout-garrison-hat-1950s

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official Boy Scout Garrison Hat

My brothers were all in Scouts when I was growing up (a Cub) and I have fond memories of them wearing these. They would take the hat off when they came inside, fold it, and slide it under their belt.

Granted, no sun protection, but very retro and very cool.

Here's one... http://www.etsy.com/listing/48218475/vintage-boy-scout-garrison-hat-1950s

WELL I just checked ScoutStuff.org and thsi is what I get

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=USOCKS&C4=&LV=3&item=612320-24&prodid=612320-24^8^01RTL&

Boy Scout Official Uniform Knee Socks

Knee socks in uniform green are made with the exclusive blend of 46% nylon, 44% Coolmax nylon, 5% polyester, and 5% Lycra spandex. Classic knee-high style with ribbed cuff looks neat and stays comfortably in place, while fabric blend helps your feet stay cool and dry.

BSA is knitted into the foot bed of each sock. Contrast heel and toe are reinforced for added cushioning right where you need it. Offers superior moisture management, wicking away perspiration for all-day comfort. Imported.

Retail Price: $8.99

Availability:

Normally ships within 3 business days

OK I do not like the fact that BSA is on the foot, I think it's a bad location, but at least it isn't stamped on like the Thorlo socks. My BSA stamp has come off, and you cannot tell the difference between them and the pair of hiking socks I got from Walmart.

Ok going to get some new socks in the near future.

If I can find it, I'll reprint "Ode to Knee Socks."

As to why I like them, Keep my legs warm when it gets chilly and I am in shorts, keeps my legs cool inthe summer while protecting them from briars, mosquitoes etc.

Plus I'm old school and they look great with the Smokey Bear and Scout stave ;)

Bring back the women's culottes.

yes, I know not every woman loves them, but I do!!!

got mine on clearance and they've lasted 5 years, and well, the plastic zipper is toast, and I have to change it out. so I'm wearing the scout pants with the zip off legs, and I look like a man in them. ;)

I would have never worn the skirt, cause you can't get down on the floor and crawl around with the tigers in a skirt, but the culottes worked for that. I have had some complement my culottes at every single district, council event I've ever gone to in 5 years.

I would get rid of the diamond emblem holder--parents use that for the rank badges instead of sewing them on!!! arrrrgggghhhhhh there should be NO reason for them to exist.

I don't like the oval patch holder either for the same reason, boy scouts try to put their scout badges in there, with the excuse that they are working on the next rank so they don't want to sew it on yet. aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!

Let's see,

you know how we recruit new scouts in the Fall???

well I would make sure to have enough new scout uniforms and uniform hats and neckers and books in stock in the fall.

same for bobcat badges.

they usually run out of them, and then new scouts have to wait.....

similarly if the 2010 scout book has all the webelos working on citizen in the same month, then order some extra citizen webelos pins for that month. be a bit more proactive.

or how bout if council knows that 3000 cub scouts are going thru day camp this summer, and they all get the archery and bbgun belt loop it seems, then order ENOUGH of the belt loops so again my cubbies dont have to wait to get their belt loops!

Let all cub scouts wear the same hat and necker.

everyone recognizes a wolf scout as being a cub scout. it's that traditional bright yellow hat that stands out in a group. separating the boys by hat and neckerchif color while handy when they first start is not necessary once you learn who the kids are. It's a $22+ expense every single year for the parents and while that's not a lot of $, in a poor area, that can mean the difference between keeping a scout or not keeping a scout. So our pack gives them their book and passes down hats and neckers to save money. but if everyone had the same hat and necker it would be great.

YES!!!! KNEE SOCKS ARE BACK!!!!!!

(caps for extreme joy!)

Also agree with ridding the program of the patch holders, and for keeping at least the same cap & necker slide, but I like the idea of the wolf and bear separate neckers

Don't ask me how, but one of our cubs cut his eye with the plastic diamond putting on his shirt and had to go see a doc.

Also the plastic diamond won't work for those Webelos wearing the Boy Socut shirt. Saw a Webelos with it on the right pocket b/c that was the only pocket it would go on.

For the knee sock fans out there - I ripped into the box today and put a pair on as soon as they came in. Wore them for half a day. Nice foot fit, true to size (at least for me) and not too tight over the upper calf. Just in time for spring and summer camp.

If I could dump items out of my store I would get rid of:

- all plastic patch hanger things, sharp, tacky, and a pain to count

- drawer pulls and coat hooks - haven't sold one in 3 years, just another box to dust

-all video tapes - does anyone still have a tape player?

-all the private labelled, cheap camping stuff that breaks on the first or second use.

-all the different neckerchiefs - have one for cubs, one for boy scouts, and one for adult leaders (may be one for Webelos)

-all the cub neckerchief slides - one universal slide for all

-all cub scout handbooks, at most a Tiger/Wolf/Bear in one and Webelos in another

What I'd add:

-good quality, brand name, competitively priced camping equipment

-a warehouse that never runs out of basic scouting supplies (bookss, uniforms, advancements)

-have an integrated cub handbook - no need to pay for intro to cubs, Bobcat pages each year, many of the electives are the same, for that fact many of the requiremetns are the same too. Have a requirement - ex. Your flag, then have 3 levels of complexity, one for each T/W/B.

-product training for store staff members - I can't tell which backpack is best because I don't backpack and have no info available to me to help you the customers.

If I get the chance I'll pass these thoughts on to the powers that be. Keep the ideas coming. If you feel strongly about your idea follow up your post with an email or call to Scoutstuff.org.

I would love collarless shirts like they had when I was a boy. Wearing a neckerchief with a collar looks tacky. If collarless scout shirts were OK with BP, they are good enough for me.

Also another YEAHHHHHH for the knee socks. You need them to wear boots with your uniform shorts. On that topic, good shorts. I don't need or use all the dang pockets on the zip-off pants.

Steve

I think it would be nice to see professional book designers work with the handbooks. I remember a scout handbook a few years back where the text ran into the gutter; the Cub books are too disorganized in presenting information: too zippy and not linear enough.