What Would You Add to the National Store?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"i would change the uniform pants to all black, replace the neckerchef with a tie, and reintroduce the berets in black. maybe some official BSA boots?"

Wow, that sounds awfully para-military. I'm not sure the junior special forces is a look that BSA will go for.

;)

• 11 months later...

This is an old thread, but I can't help but add a few things:

-An official jacket for Cub Scouts (something inexpensive but uniform)

-Plain green uniform pants (no zip offs, no cargo pockets) but not the dress wool ones-- cotton is fine

-Official BSA Sheath-knife (like the old ones)

-Modern remakes of some of the old, official BSA gear (such as a modernized "Centennial Yucca Pack" in tan like the old ones but with modern fabric & features), official canteens, mess-kits, etc. Official gear like that fits with the uniform method, I feel.

How about fewer:

-Patches for everything under the sun.

-Branded merchandise for Philmont, Bechtel, etc.

-"Apparel" which is non-uniform wear. Do we really need all those t-shirts, hats, etc. A little is fine, but they seem to go overboard sometimes.

-Scott

I don't know if I would necessarily add stuff to the store, but I would take away some stuff.

Get rid of the arts/crafts stuff. I'm not talking about Pinewood Derby, Raingutter Regatta, or Space Derby, and now, Blastcar. Those are trademarked BSA items, they should be in the Scout store only.

I can go to the hobby and craft store and get 1000 pony beads for 7 or 8 dollars, and they'll last me for years. Same goes for colored plastic cord or leatherwork. I can get a better value at my local hobby arts and crafts vs. the Scout store.

I fully understand the reason some of the "non uniform" gear is in the stores. When BSA stopped "franchising" the right to sell uniforms and merchandise to 3rd party vendors (Yes, I remember going into JC Penney to buy my Scout uniform, and ordering gear from the catalog as well) They had to treat it as they're own trademark- just like Sports Franchises do with their own likeness and logo's for stuff that is sold through outside vendors. So, I get that they need to sell they're own stuff. I don't have a problem with that. Actually those shirts and hats make great raffle items when they've been discounted. Have picked up some Cub T-shirts for 4.00 to give away to the pack.Some great deals can be had from the clearance section. ScoutStuff is doing a BOGO offer on the supplex uniforms now, Scout stores are honoring those prices. Was able to get a Tan uni for my soon to be Webelos, and get some pants for Scout son who has decided to grow 6" in the last year. :o

I would also like to see One CS Hat for all the ranks, or at least One for Tiger, Wolf,Bear, and One for Webs. I do like the different colored neckers for the Cubs, but our pack also provides a necker, unit number and Pack T-shirt for every boy that joins.

If I could add something to the store, it would be a static display for some of the items that are on sale through the ScoutStuff website that aren't available in the store. I'd like to see some of the artwork available, Reproductions of Rockwell pieces for example. I know that's unrealistic, since floor space is at a premium and just creates more confusion and frustration. "It's in the store, why don't you carry it?"

I do have to give Kudos to the Scout store, for bringing in better quality camping gear. I got an Osprey Aether backpack at the SS for around the same price as REI. I don't mind spending a little more money to keep the kids at the Store employed, as long as the quality is in line with my perceived value of what I'm getting.If I've ever needed anything Special ordered, they've always taken care of it. I've always been treated fairly and the staff has always gone out of their way to help me out at the Scout store, that deserves MY loyalty.

- button w/ hole on left pocket of CU for PH device

- buttonhole for right pocket of CU

- Venturing uniform matching CU

- Scoutmaster HB w/ Troop Prog. Features, ILST, and Troop Prog. Resources in one volume published like Scout HB in an actual book instead of 3-hole punched pages, but include a CD for printing copies of pages (meeting plans, checklists, etc.)

AJ,

The SM idea won't happen. BSA combined the 3 volumes of Troop Program features, and the Troop Resource Book into one book called WOODS WISDOM and it wasn't popular because of the price. By splitting up the book, you can but it in pieces and not all at once.