What Would You Add to the National Store?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree about the books. Adult Education should be a very important issue with the BSA. There's one book I've been trying to obtain for several months now, but can't get it through my normal connections due to my living in Europe.

"A Scout Leader's Guide to Youth Leadership Training: Working the Patrol Method"

http://www.amazon.com/Scout-Leaders-Guide-Leadership-Training/dp/B0041O9PUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299776135&sr=8-1

They won't ship to me this book???

perdidochas: "I would love an official boony style hat. I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody would want knee socks, but I'm glad for you guys that they have them now."

Knee socks rock! I know most kids won't wear them, but some of our hardcore scouts who staff camp do and wear them as a badge of honor almost. Now, boonie hats on the other hand are one of the most gawd awful looking hats in the world.....to me. In 2005, our Jambo contingent had ballcaps they were proud of. In 2010, a lady high up on the Jambo committee wanted boonie hats for the Troops because her husband had just had some cancer spots cut off of his ears and head. I warned them that the boys would not wear them. They bought them anyway. We get to DC where we want the boys looking all nice and uniform with the unique hats so we cam pick them out of the crowds of thousands and all we got were moans and groans. They wore them hanging around their nect the whole time. When they got to Jambo, they all switched to their Jambo ball caps.

Me, I continued to wear my boonie because I'm an old fart who doesn't care as much about style as I used to and I do worry about cancer.

BTW, knee socks are high fashion and did I mention, they rock!

PL,

1) WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!! :)

2) While I have 2 garrison caps, one scout and one sea scout, Smokey Bears and Expedition hats look better, and the Expedition hat is practical. Sorry I do not see the return of the garrison cap.

3) Ties are ok, but the proper sized necker worn with a collarless shirt, or with a shirt with the collar tucked in, is the way to go.

Fellow Scouters,

The current Boy Scout (tan/green) uniform is pretty good. But the newest version of the Venturing uniform has pleated pockets without a pocket flap. Its breathable, but I just don't like the appearance. Possibly a Venturing uniform more similar to the centennial Scout uniform.

Also, I don't want to become paramilitary. But in recent years, the U.S. Armed Forces are wearing alot of velcro devices.

With Scouts advancing ranks and positions of responsibility, don't you think it is time for BSA uniform manufacturers to consider velcro?

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Mr. B,

At one time from 1989 to sometime recently, the "Varsity Letter" was called the "Varsity/Venture Letter" that Boy Scouts in a venture crew, now called a venture patrol, could wear either on the sash, or on a jacket. The high adventure pins were originally resitricted to venture crews, now called venture patrols, from 1989 to about 1995 or thereabouts, when both the varsity and high adventure pins were opened up to Varsity Scouts and Boy Scouts. At some point, no one can give me an exact answer, BSA discontinued the practive of allowing venture patrol members the opportunity of earning the letter and pins.

Not really a big loss as few, if any troops knew about this. When I created a HA program at summer camp in 1995 based upon the letter and pins, I got all kind of weird looks about it. No one was really interested in getting the pins, and the only person the Scout shop sold any pins to was me as I bought them to promote the program.

Mr. Boyce - earlier you posted that you wanted an oval bumper sticker - the European style one. Well, today at the Scout Shop, I picked one up. It's not quite as you described - doesn't have a fleur-de-lis, just the letters BSA in the oval. Can't find it online yet, but was able to find one. Item #330010 $1.99.