New Uniform Shirts

"Just saw the new Venturing shirt on scoutstuff.org."

Not that new. It came out last spring. I first saw it at Jambo. They started selling out the old shirt, so I snagged a few, as I don't like the new shirt.

I like the new ones because they are well made and dry very quickly. But the older ones look so much better. I have one that I found at teh scout shop in my size.

Anyway, any new news about the new scout shirt?

• 1 month later...

So, I agreed to take on my first Scouter position...I'll be the Wolf Den Leader for my son's pack in June. That means I have a uniform to buy!

Back in MY day (man, I feel old saying that!), there were no choices in fabric for uniform shirts. I wore the Olive Drab no-collar Boy Scout shirt.

...anyway, I see that there are three fabric choices for the shirts now, as well as short/long sleeve. Sleeve length seems like a given - I don't know why the local scout shop seems to think everyone wants short sleeve, but I'm buying long..easier to roll them up than to wish you had more fabric when it's cool....and this IS the Pacific Northwest.

Seems like the wool blend is more of a 'dressy' choice, and not as practical for everyday wear. Typically I see cotton as a choice and jump at it...but then there's supplex that's supposed to be 'all that'. Anyone out there recently pick anything other than supplex (which...you guessed it...is the only thing in stock locally)?

Thanks!

-Sean

I have the Supplex Long sleeve shirts, and a cotton short sleeve. I prefer the Supplex shirts because they look better, are lighter in weight, and don't wrinkle as bad as the cotton shirts do. I prefer the long sleeve bacause I scout in Europe and the weather here is kooler then warmer.. But my cotton shirts, becuase of the stock at the scout shop are short sleeve..

• 5 weeks later...

Don't the people who design the scouts shirts ever ask the scouters who wear them for their opinions? If that was remotely true, I doubt we would have seen that new Venturing shirt, which I will not buy, and the new Boy Scout shirt that a large majority of scouters did not like. The theory behind the design had its valid points, and may have been practical, but it was not appealing visually.

I have an idea. Many adult scouters have multiple positions, like me. I have 3 shirts (one is Venturing). Could they design an area on the left sleeve, some kind of velcro deal, whereby you could interswitch positions patches easily? Hummmm. That may not work since you would have to velcro the patch also. Any ideas?

MVScouter

Scoutbox, you can dye white hook and loop tape with Rit fabric dye. Dark Green should work for you. It is pretty easy, especially if you use the liquid dye. Find a disposable container like a plastic salad box or peanut butter jar. Add a couple of tablespoons of dye and some hot water. Drop in the hook and loop tape, separated of course. Let sit completely immersed until the tape is a bit darker than the color you want. Rinse and let dry. Throw away your dye container so no one uses it for food.

Alternately, you can buy a brand of hook and loop tape called Touch Tape in a darker green from online retailers. I prefer Touch Tape to Velcro, it doesn't lose its grip as quickly.

Thanks for the info Sasha, I have been using dyes for years, and didn't think fo dying the velcro??? I haven't heard of this other material your talking about, so I think I'll give that a look into..

again thanks,

SB

Well, if you are a seasoned dyer! Normally I avoid Rit as it is a poor and expensive choice for cotton, where fiber-reactive dyes work best. But it is great for hook and loop tape.(This message has been edited by sasha)