Silver Loops

Please excuse my ignorance. I have attempted to do my homework on this subject and maybe just haven't dug far enough.

I'd like for my uniform to be correct and wear the appropriate loops with the appropriate patch of office. Silver loops are for the Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, correct? Also, there would be no unit numbers worn in conjunction with the commish patch as this is a district level position, correct? I believe I'm almost 100% correct but I'd like to recieve confirmation from those who have been in the position or who would know, please. Does the RT commish have a voting role on the district committee? Thanks for all the advice.

Silver loops are for the Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, correct?

Correct, Roundtable Commissioners wear silver loops.

Also, there would be no unit numbers worn in conjunction with the commish patch as this is a district level position, correct?

Correct, Roundtable Commissioners are a District Level position and do not wear unit numbers

Does the RT commish have a voting role on the district committee?

The RT Commissioner position is part of the Commissioner Service and is not part of the District Committee, so they do not have a vote.

My question is almost same, I was just appointed a Roundtable Commissioner,not Scout,Cub or Venturer,Just main RT Commissioner and I am to co-ordinate each months RT, what color loops would I wear and Is there a plain RT Commissioner position patch? If not what would I wear to show my official position? I know they used to have a patch for that because I have my Dad's old one but it's not the red one they have now.

I will be assigned a unit in the fall hopefully.

Question 2, I was trained as Scoutmaster back in 1980 can I wear the "trained" strip and knot? also I rcvd my WB beads in March 82, do I wear them and the neckerchief instead of Commissioners red neckerchief?

I just renewed my Scouting relationship after a 25 yr absence thnx to my Grandson!! LOL Thnx for any help on any of those subject's.

Ramblinrosey - you are appointed to a district position, so yes the silver tabs apply.. I am unsure about the patch, I am in a position like most that you just wear a committee patch.. But a few did have their own patch, commissioner might have been one of them.

Ramblin,

1) WELCOME BACK TO SCOUTING AND TO THE FORUMS!

2) Silver loops for district folks, but are are you a RT Commissioner or going to be a Unit Commissioner, or are you on RT staff? Different pacthes are involved.

3)Your Training Award knot is still valid, but the 'trained" strip is only for the position you are currently in, so as a Commissioner, you need to go through that training.

4) WB necker, woggle, and beads never go out of style! ;)

Have fun.

"but the kids look so young !!! "

When you get as long in the tooth as I am!

The parents look so young!

Welcome.

While serving on the Area Committee, I had one shirt with the Area Committee Patch and wore yellow (Gold) loops. These yellow loops seemed to act like a magnet, attracting anyone and everyone who wanted to moan and groan.

I didn't wear it very often!

Ea.

BSA has no position patch for a generic Roundtable Commissioner, because BSA National has no such position.

There are position patches for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, and Varsity Roundtable Commissioners, and Roundtable Staff.

Being in charge of (Commissioner) Roundtable for just one Scouting level is a lot of work. Having one person in charge of all Roundtables, for all Scouting levels, is tons more work. Is your District Commissioner going to be combining all Roundtables into just one for everyone? I can't say that I am a fan of that.

You also said that you will "be assigned a unit" sometime in the fall/winter.

Roundtable Commissioners do not have assigned units. They are in charge of the entire Roundtable training at their Scouting level, which is open to all units in that level. Roundtables are not sorted out by unit.

The only members of the Commissioner Staff that are "assigned units" are Unit Commissioners.

I would hold off on purchasing any kind of position patch until you know what position you will be filling. From your description it could very well be a District/Council specific thing.

And, as others have said, no, you are not trained for your position, so you can not wear a Trained strip yet.

Hi, ScoutNut, Yes the DC is combining all levels, but still breaking out into levels after business portion then coming back together for closing. I will be co-ordinating and coming up with a general "theme" every month, we are trying to get more participation of unit reps also, so I am coming up with little "xtra's" for incentive,small raffles that result in Gag gifts or usefull items for the adults(no cost or sale involved), organize sign-in's and refreshments, handouts and so on.More advanced than a Pack meeting but still interesting for the Scout Masters.So if anyone has ideas along that line-plse send.

So I guess until I'm assigned a unit and change Hats, I'll just go with the silver loops.

Thnx for the help!!

Ramblin

You may want to clarify with your District Commissioner what your title and role will be. To me it sounds more like an Assistant District Commissioner overseeing RT. I've seen this in some districts. Are you working directly with or guiding the RT Commissioners and Staff?

Eagle and Ramblin

Aside from learning as much as you can about RT and its functions, also remember you are still commissioners. You represent the district, council and the BSA.

Take the time to go thru all unit commissioner training as well. Although you will not go to visit units (because they come to you), you will get many of the same issues to help with that a UC does. A coordinated commissioner staff can resolve many issues.

Rob

Now that I have everyone"s input here,I can now talk with the DC+DE and get things clarified as to what hat I'm to wearand who i am working with (he said he was assigning me assigning me asst.)After all this time away from Scouting I sure am junping straight into the fire!! Yes Training is at the top of my list and i've signed up for some and am Re taking some of my SM training voluntarily to polish up the skilland catch up on all the new "lingo" heading for Philmont for the WB Refresher in June and may stay an 2nd week for another course.

Just found other thread with RT discussion- interesting.

ScoutNut, The DC+DE are going to be in the process of doing a little re-organization and so on,eventually my position will change to a UC I assume going by what they have discussed with me so far and until then they need some support in getting Rt back on track and up to speed. They are also tring to recruit more commissioners as alot of the ones we have now are wearing many hats.

The commish to unit ratio is overloaded.