COR and Unit numbers

One correction Eagle 92 the IH and COR cannot be and should not be the same person, the COR and CC can be but the IH is the final authority and appoints the COR who is the intermediary between the units and the CO, otherwise you have just one person with all the authority and no one a unit leader can appeal to, it is just not kosher. Usually the council will strongly ask/require the CO to have seperate IH and COR's, at least in the five councils I have been affiliated with.

I've seen cases in our district as well where one CO sponsors multiple packs, and not even with the same last three digits the way Brent's are. I don't remember which numbers they were, but they might as well have been Pack 308 and Pack 316 - no apparent connection at all from the numbers.

BP,

Has that changed recently? I remember being told that the IH can also be the COR and the CC. But upon reflection I don't remember if that was at PDL-1 or at one of my council staff conferences. If a council staff council, then maybe I was told wrong.

We had the IH be the COR for about one to two years, it was between the passing of our old COR and we now have a new COR.. While the IH filled the vacant slot, he was a pretty much absentee COR. Our units are use to, and indeed do run better with an active COR, who attends the committee meetings and also represents us at the council level.

I do know for a fact that the IH can't be the COR because I was the COR and then was elected IH and as soon as we tried to recharter the system kicked it out so we had another board member be COR during my tenure as IH. The funny part is that some issues came up while I was not COR but I still managed to catch all the blame even though it had nothing to do with me! I still shake my head about that one! LOL

Personally, I can't say that I've ever encountered a Chartered Organization Rep who knew and was doing his job.

I don't doubt there are those who do, someplace.

We Have an LDS Rep who attends EVERY district meeting in uniform (he's the only one in uniform) but he's the LDS Rep for a regional group of LDS units --- he leads the unit CORs and units as needed.

Too bad we don't have more CORs of that guy's commitment, energy and expertise.

Achtung, Achtung!

Will the Waffen Uniform Police please report to the front office!

We have some Chartered Organization Reps who are Out Of Uniform and need to have their red or blue shoulder loops and their unit numbers ripped off!

Achtung, Achtung!

Now please. This is just in good fun. I didn't know about those uniform issues either, and I was glad to be instructed.

I might not take them too seriously, but I'm glad to know them and understand the reasoning behind them.

Really --- if I ever was part of a unit with a bona fide Chartered Organization Rep who did his job and wore a uniform, I would shake his hand with so much sincerity that the unit numerals and the red or blue loops might bounce off by themselves!

>

I hear ya!

Our COR is very active. He is at all committee metings, at all den nights , all pack meetings , goes camping with us at pack campouts and attends all summer fun day or other extra activities like PWD, B&G, Crossover and AOL ceremonies.

He was a scout himself, and he was the CubMaster of our pack way, way, way back when and spent 6 or 7 years as the SM of our CO's troop.

He has a great personality and will offer any help as well as advice when asked.

He wears a mesh Austrailian stly hat with the one side folded up - and has a BSA logo on it.

That is the extent of his uniform.

Personally, with all the help and committment he offers, I wouldn't care if he showed up in a speedo and sandals with black knee socks!

Had a chat with my DE a few months back when the subject of whether or not the IH had to be youth protection trained came up. I'll say right up front that I don't know what the book was that he had with him, but it said:

If the IH is not multipled in another position, he does not have to be YPT. IH is the ONLY position associated with a unit that does not require YPT.

If the IH is multipled in another position, such as IH/CR or IH/CR/CC, then he must be YPT.

My DE went on to say that while IH/CR is more common, the IH can multiple in any other position in the Unit he wants.

Both my District Commissioner and the DC that gave me my COR Leader-specific training agreed with another point: while it is allowed, it is not advisable for these multiples to occur except in cases where a unit is just starting to get up and running. As soon as is practicable, these positions should be filled by different people.

As far as the numerals go, I am COR to Pack 105, Troop 105, and Crew 105. I proudly wear 105 below my shoulder strip, above my COR patch. If my CO ever acquired a unit that did not have 105, I would remove them to avoid the appearance of favoritism, but until then, I will keep my 105.