Best/Favorite Scout Uniform Styles

A somewhat nicer pair of pants is the Canvas Convertible Pants ($34.99-$39.99). No elastic and, although seams may not hold up (personal experience), you can take them back to the Scout Shop and they'll replace them.

Yea I am with UC Eagle, the best fitting uniforms were the olive drab and forest green of the boy scouts and explorers of the mid to late sixties and early seventies. They wore like iron, the garrison caps were great, and I still have both of mine. That was when Made in America really meant something to the BSA, now its "Have China Crap Will Travel."

• 1 month later...

With BadenP, who ever sewed those uniforms must have done it at cost and with little markup along the way.

The overseas/folding cap was great, till you needed protection from the sun, my last year I was given the beret which offered no real improvement in sun protection and you couldn't drape it over your belt.

The pants with red piping, wore them age eleven never thought to button them up, thought of them as "band pants" and the piping went with the folding cap! They were still in great shape when I out grew them but as I had just the one pair I was carefull.

Also had the shorts, always seemed the pockets didn't want to hold anything but a sheet or two of folded up paper.

Knee socks, strange I liked them as they didn't work well with my small feet and large calves.

But the Sanforized v-neck short sleeve shirt made up for all that, cool in summer, cut for freedom of movement, shirt tails stayed tucked in and sewn with short stitchs and small allowances. The heaver weight long sleeve handled the other 8/9 months of the year just as well.

I have collected over 20 of these shirts over the years, the quality did fall off some time in the mid to late 70s as I have a couple of short sleeves made almost exactly like the ODL cept in green and sans shoulder straps.

Almost every time I put on a tan scout shirt I wish I had a green one that fit me.

I prefer the uniform shirts from the late 80's/early 90's. Were those the ODL's? I'm not sure. They just seemed to hold up better and fit nicer than the ones now. That and I can't stand the "Electronics Pocket". I recently acquired a few of my old uniforms that still fit (as well as the one I wore all through my boy scout career that doesn't, but is still in fantastic shape) and I will be updating them to be my primary uniforms with the centennial one I have as a backup.

In comparison, though, I also bought a new pair of the canvas convertible (I think those are the ones...the ones that are NOT nylon), and they really like them. They seem much more comfortable than the old pants we wore.

I also wore the beret for my hat, when I wore one, for boy scouts. Our troop required full uniform, including our own custom neckerchief, but we did not require hats (those that chose to wear one had to wear an official BSA hat, though, and we did produce an optional hat).

I just did a three day backcountry backpacking trip in Shenandoah National Park (VA). Since I knew there would be high humidity, including occasional showers, and we planned a trip with lots of swimming holes, I chose to wear the new Centennial (land to water) shorts, with the net liner, and no additional undergarments, just as they are intended to be worn. They performed outstanding, and at $20 are far, far less expensive than comparable alternatives available at any of the outdoor clothing providers I checked out. Dried quickly, no chaffing, comfortable in action. After that trip I actually ordered a few extra just for wearing at everyday outings and activities.

For simple active use, I like the canvas convertibles, especially since they're not made in the PRC. I took a pair with me to Argentina and Antarctica because I wanted the utility pockets.

For ceremonial use, I prefer the ODLs or the olive-drabs of the 60s-70s. I liked the style and ease of storage of the flight caps. Yes, they don't give much sun protection but I grew up in a warm sunny climate where we generally didn't wear headgear anyway so didn't notice the lack of shade from the flight caps.

Can't stand the Centennial uniform and won't be buying one unless I pork out and can't wear the many ODLs I bought on clearance.

• 3 years later...

The ODL Venturing shirts are absolutely amazing. Tough and great looking! Im glad I bought ten of them in various sizes on clearance so even if I eat Big Macs for the rest of my life, I won't ever have to buy that terrible excuse for a new Venturing uniform.

After reading this thread, just realized it is from 2011. Like Kahuna, I liked the unform of the 60's and early 70's including the Explorer green with brown tie and white belt. I especially liked the oxford cloth heavy fabric, and hated the light fabric of the 80s that would lose its sizing (stiffness) after a few washes and was prone to pilling.