Velcro For POR Patches

"One scouter while I was talking to him to me to wait a second he needed to change roles. Ripped off his Cubmaster patch and put on a Den Leader patch. Stupid if you ask me. was he trying to be funny, don't know, but I was really put off by it."

I've done things like that before in jobs other than Scouting. Sometimes you literally wear two hats and just to emphasize that I am moving over to the "other position", I'll literally put my other hat on.

Anyway, this sounds like a great idea. I think National should roll this out immediately, based on the testimonials in this thread. Of course, it also lets boys know that they "could" be wearing a patch there. As such, I fully expect to see things like Boys shirts and Adults shirts (same sized). The Boys shirts would have a velcro spot for a patrol patch, a velcro spot for a Quality Unit patch, a velcro spot for a rank patch, and of course a velcro Position of Responsibility arm patch. The adult shirt would have a velcro Position of Responsibility arm patch and a velcro spot for a Trained patch. The adult version wouldn't have patrol or rank spots, but it would have a Quality Unit spot.

Then people would be asking, "Hey, what's supposed to go here?" With the knowledge that something "can" go there, they'll be more motivated to do everything they're supposed to do so that something "should" go there, in my opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen it done.   It is functional and practical.     But the Scouters who I have seen do this are also not examples I want my son to follow.   Example.......   One scouter while I w

sewing isn't that hard and a good skill for a scout to have.   My scout will sew his own when the time comes.....which is soon.

I have two sons in scouts and started making pre-cut velcro patches for them and now I sell them on ebay. They are tan (to match the Boy Scout shirt). I currently stock Office, Rank, Patrol and Counci

I have two sons in scouts and started making pre-cut velcro patches for them and now I sell them on ebay. They are tan (to match the Boy Scout shirt). I currently stock Office, Rank, Patrol and Council patch velcro. I have cut some custom ones (Troop Numbers) and if there is enough demand for them, I'll add them to my inventory.

We've found them to be very useful, especially since my eldest son has been flying through his ranks (saves me sewing on that pocket on his shirt), and he was a Patrol Leader as well as Troop Librarian at the same time, so he could swap patches when he was performing each role separately.

Some folks who have purchased patches from me have mentioned it is useful for switching between long-sleeved and short-sleeved shirts as well.

Here is a link to the page if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200703671823?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Michele

• Upvote 1

No but this is basically what I did myself, buy the velcro and cut it to size. Their shipping is $5.50 per order, I bought enough velcro to do 3 patches from the place I mentioned in the original post for $5.60 shipping included.

Out troop been doing this for a year now but we only use this for Position Of Responsibility patches (SPL, Quartermaster etc.), not rank, merit badge or unit numbers. Essentially we recycle the POR patches which saves money, Scouts are not wearing POR patches past their term and they get to wear the patch on election night.

Works for us.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...
25 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

Did you just scold someone for a post from nearly 6 years ago?

Scolding?

Her product advertising post of 5 days ago is hidden as are other recent advertising posts. How new advertising will offset the costs of operating the new scouter.com is still under consideration by the forum owner Terry. Meanwhile I politely redirect new advertising requests to Terry.

37 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Scolding?

Her product advertising post of 5 days ago is hidden as are other recent advertising posts. How new advertising will offset the costs of operating the new scouter.com is still under consideration by the forum owner Terry. Meanwhile I politely redirect new advertising requests to Terry.

My bad, all I can see is her post from July 19, 2012.  It appeared you were resurrecting a thread from almost 6 years ago to advise her on the posting rules against advertising.  The "scolding" is tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by Pale Horse
  • 2 months later...
On 1/5/2011 at 11:27 AM, Hawkrod said:

I think it is a great idea and have tried to find Vecro in the correct colors but have been unsuccessful. I think it would be great for boys rank and position patches as too many change too frequently. For some boys it may not be an issue but we have some go-getters and of course every six months you have changing positions. I also like it for adult leaders because, although it is great to have a uniform for each position, that is not always practical especially in these tough economic times. I actually have 7 uniform shirts (I wear a lot of hats) but often find that I need more than one for something specific (Jambo for example) and changing patches is a pain. I am an active COR for two units, a UC, a member of the DC and an ASM. While I am an ASM I certainly don't want to wear a COR uniform because although it would be correct as it is my primary registered position, it can usurp the authority of the SM. As COR people will come to me that should go to the SM because they know "a COR is in charge". Out of respect for the SM, I prefer to not do that. As a UC I don't want to do visits with unit numbers on my shirt etc.... At this time I do have seperate shirts but it would it be nice to have shirts and patches that I can change quickly. JMO

Man, you need help :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, cgail said:

This is what we use.  My son is the SPL, a Chapter Chief (our lodge has a POR patch for that) and is a Camp Staff member, so he uses velcro.  I am an Associate Lodge adviser, chapter advisor, Troop committee member, and Unit Commissioner, and with only 2 uniforms I use the velcro POR for that change so I am wearign the right POR for the job.

Jeff in KC