New BSA knot

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already disclosed that I take a modest interest in the knot program and let the knots shape my behavior in some ways so that I might qualify for them.

I became a Scouter thirty years ago and currently have three knots--- so I don't think I can be called knot crazy!

As I read over the requirements for this one, I see a a good many I could satisfy in the course of my regular Scouting activities ---- as Disrict Membership Chair I'm constantly inviting adults to join Scouting, and a goodly number are alumni. When I'm out doing Friends of Scouting solicitations shortly, I will have similar opportunities.

There are some I'd have to make a point of doing like joining the council alumni committee, which probably hasn't been formed yet.

But I might do it! It would shape my behavior in small ways and carry out purposes the BSA has decided are useful and impiortant.

And I'd get my 4th knot! I don't mind little rewards like that!

Okay, so looking over these req's, I see that a good many are fairly doable. How does one get a hold of the Alumni Connection cards that are mentioned in Area I-3? And when can we expect for the Alumni Volunteer training in Area IV-1 to be available on MyScouting? I was just looking and don't see it as yet.

For some reason I find this thread and the posts in it pretty humorous. It is like watching a bunch of moths flying into a bug zapper, every one trying something new to get to the light but all winding up the same way "poof", lol. I am happy for you who think this little bit of cloth is so important that you just have to get it before it is even officially out. Will it make you a better scouter or just coddle your own ego?

Bp

this is a discussion forum. Who are you to judge what everyones intent is?

Yeah sure some guys are in it for themselves. I really done get some comments in groups like this. Its a new and interesting subject that's why this thread exist

Hawk

Not judging just trying to prove a point, how many knots do you have on your uniform anyway? Boy scouts is not about how to advance or earn recognition for yourself it is about helping the kids earn that recognition, too many scout leaders seem to forget that and instead try to live or relive the scouting of their youth. Which are you Hawk?

In response to BadenP's comments, and also those like him who do not like the ostentatious display of Scouter Knots... I think I have a different perspective.. to here is my 2 cents.

Can a three or four row (of Knots) Scouter look like a South American Generalisimo... yes.. I suppose. However, as a new Scouter (just under two years)and slowly being involved helping with District/Council activities - I have seen these men/women with 6+ knots as being the most involved individuals... they seem to be the ones that do the majority of the Council/District work. Esp. those who have long continued in Scouting beyond their son's involvement. Maybe to summarize my view... "it takes a great deal of dedication to earn those knots."

I have yet, in my brief two years, to meet any Scouter who is "just trying to earn knots". Now granted I do have two knots... (AoL & DL)... and I saw the leadership knots as a achievement goal to reach... an encouragement or incentive to reach a certain level.

Also, I think of it this way... It is simply human nature to be appreciated and to want to be recognized. We recognize "Teacher of the Year"... "Police Officer of the Year", ect.

As much as we feel humility is a more dignified way to be recognized, I truly feel that 99% of us do appreciate being recognized and respected for the work we have done. If knots keep Scouters motivated and active with the boys and BSA, then it is a good thing.

I must admit, I really don't care how many knots anybody wears on their uniform. I don't feel there are many leaders out there who are in it just for the recognition. But those that are, they have still done the dedicated work to earn the knots they wear, and the scouting program (boys) has benfited from it. Some people on this forum need to get a life real bad.

BP

The number of knots on my chest is not the topic of discussion here. I dont think its fair for you to accuse others, especially people you dont know (assuming), of coddling egos. I dont think your justified in making your comment having to get it before it is even officially out.

I think West Coast Scouter and JR56 said it best about people in scouting doing it for the kids. If your active in scouting and do more than one job people will recognize that.

I doubt I will ever get this knot but I think the subject is interesting as to why BSA felt the need to make this a award.

Gee Hawk, waa, waa, waa. I think that you will find in most councils the scouters who wear 4,5,6 rows of knots are indeed in it for Themselves, they usually control council and district positions of importance, training, esp. WoodBadge, camping, finance and activities for example.

While some are indeed very nice dedicated scouters most of them are pretty self absorbed blowhards figuring how to go from getting the silver beaver to the silver antelope to the silver buffalo awards, could care less about the kids, and act like they are in charge of the council. One guy I know has no less than eight rows of knots, 4 beader WB beads and more patches and pins than a five star general on his uniform, his red coat has the patches of every position and place he has ever held or visited. On top of that he freely admits that he hates kids, goes out of his way to intimidate scouters, and that scouting should really be for the adults. Unfortunately the number of these individuals seems to be growing each year in scouting instead of diminishing.

B.p

not crying here. I don't understand your personal attacks on people in this group. I don't recall anyone here blatantly looking to get this knot before its out on store shelves.

Its sad that your council is full of self serving scouter but its no reason to make negative comments in this group which at a glance of your posts in this thread you seem to do.

maybe you should work at your level to make changes in things you see as needing to be fixed (ie removing self absorbed scouters).

BadenP,

I think you're taking it a bit far. If you have a person who is legitimately being a blowhard, and intentionally trying to look "superior" by their uniform, then you just need to politely remind them why they got involved in the first place. Here's a scenario for you: Scouter A is a guy who is dedicated to the Scouting movement and making sure he provides a quality program for the youth in his community, and sometimes he likes the little pat on the back with a good job or an atta-boy. Scouter B is a "scouter" who insists on diminishing and demoralizing the accomplishments of Scouter A for whatever reason. My question is, who's the real jerk?

Hi BP,

I'm a 20-year-old ASM who came up through the program, earned Eagle, and have continued to remain overly active in my council. To get it off my chest now, I do wear 3 knots. I agree with you that there are some Scouters out there who do not have the true purpose of our organization in the forefront of their minds. I am incredibly sorry to hear that the gentleman that you know is one of those people. It is very unfortunate that someone with that much experience and knowledge is not using it to the full extent of his ability.

I, too, know people like this. They are not nearly as malicious as you describe, but, if you watch their actions closely, it is clear. This being said, I do not agree with your claim that the vast majority of "generals" stray from the path our Founder intended. It is a statement based on your experience with these folks. My experience is different. Most of the "generals" that I know are fantastic, knowledgeable people who have been involved in the program for quite some time and are here to share that knowledge while mentoring young men. You will not, however, see me going around telling everyone online that most "generals" are great Scouters. This is because I know there are people who haven't been blessed like I have and who have had bad experiences with such members of our great organization.

To take this to an extreme, my worst experiences have been with women who have no Scouting experience. Shall I start petitioning Mazzuca to ban all women from our organization because of my sole experiences? Absolutely not.

Clearly, you have had some terrible experiences with some Scouters, just as we all have had. I am frustrated at those incredibly experienced Scouters who are, quite simply, jerks. However, I petition you to not soil the name of all those who are proud of their service to the youth of America, who are most definitely in need of great mentors.

-Wulamoen

P.S. Because no proper post on this website would be complete without a personal jab (yet done in good jest), what image does it give off that you have chosen to force us all to refer to you as BP, Lord Baden-Powell, the war hero and founder of our beloved organization?