New BSA knot

@Eagle, that sounds kool. I saw where this years Jambo Council patches were mixed a bit. problem I also see is that most of these custom patches won't fit a small scout shirt due tot eh shoulder pocket.. But I do like our units custom number patches. saved my troop 5$ for number patches..

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone else posted this link:

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/AlumniAlive/AlumniNews/2010_12_Active_Alumni.aspx

I have to ask, how is an "active Alumni" different from any other scouter?? If one assumes that "active alumni" = scouter who used to be a scout, I would take that to mean that only some scouters could earn this award (ie, only those who were formally scouts).

To give a slightly different perspective on 'alumni', in my Fraternity, you basically join in one of two ways: as a student or as an advisor (without having previously joined as a student) to a chapter. Either way, once you end your active involvement (graduate from college OR leave the chapter as a former advisor), you are considered an alumni of the fraternity. ALL the volunteer leadership of the fraternity is made up of "alumni volunteers", regardless of if they originally joined as a student or as an advisor.

So using that criteria, a "scouting alumni" would include those who were active in scouting either a youth member OR as an adult scouter, and who have left scouting (but could certainly come back as a scouter).

But which is being used for this award???

Guess we'll know better when the requirements come out.

MyScouting has this definition: "The definition of a BSA Alumni is a former Scout, a current or former Scout leader, family members of current or former Scouts, and anyone who is supportive of the Scouting program and would like to be connected. "

I think that is a pretty bad definition of "Alumni." Maybe they should have used the word "supporter" or "patron" instead.

This came with the Alumni newsletter (http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/AlumniAlive/AlumniNews/2010_12_Active_Alumni.aspx), but the link at the bottom does not provide any additional details. It looks like we have to wait until January 2011 as stated in this article.

"In the coming months, a new patch, the BSA Alumni Award knot, will begin appearing on some Scouting volunteers uniforms. The red, blue, and gold square knot will designate its wearer as a Scouting alumnus who has helped other Scouting alumni reconnect with the program. (A lapel pin is also available for civilian wear.)

Developed by the national Alumni Relations Committee, the award recognizes accomplishments in four areas: alumni identification and promotion, alumni engagement, personal participation, and personal education. Specific requirements include doing things such as helping to plan an alumni event, convincing unregistered alumni to register with Scouting, and completing online alumni training.

The requirements are toughand thats by design, said Bill Steele, the BSAs director of Alumni Relations. We expect these folks to work just as hard as alumni as they did as Scouts and Scout volunteers.

Requirements for the award will be posted in January 2011. All requirements must have been completed after June 1, 2009. Applicants must be currently registered with the BSA, and their award applications must be approved by the local council Scout executive and alumni committee chairperson, along with the national Alumni Relations Committee.

For complete details on the new alumni square knot, visit http://bsaalumni.org. Note that youll need to be registered on the site (a free process) to access the award information."

I wish mine was the older 100% wool version. I'm looking, but me and e-bay don't get along too well. I also like seeing the older plaid wool jackets boys are wearing int eh old fieldbooks. look sharp. as for another question, the Philmont Bull i read was originally part of the first Jac Shirts as they originated from an Oregon company making them for Philmont, and it came with the bull to be added. Does one have to attend Philmont to be able to wear the bull on the left shoulder? Or can it be treated like the BSA pocket patch and sewn on?

Thanks,

SB

My understanding is that the bull is for those that attended Philmont, and of course there is a tradition with that for those that go over the Tooth of Time, allowing them to sew on the bull with the tail going over the shoulder seam. I know that I've had folks ask what year I attended Philmont when seeing the bull.

You have any links that might have a picture of the plaid jacket. I love wearing wool, in fact this year I'm getting a new wool jacket for Christmas. But it has to come from the States so I won't see it until January. I have seen wear the plaid wool jackets are coming back into style so I can't wait.

SB