New BSA knot

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alumni as defined at MyScouting (in member profile there is an Alumni checkoff with a "What's this?")

"The definition of a BSA Alumni is a former Scout, a current or former Scout leader, family members of current or former Scouts, and anyone who is supportive of the Scouting program and would like to be connected."

Though it would not surprise me if another definition is being used on this knot.

My $0.02

"What is an Alumni? If I understand the term correctly, without looking the definition up in the dictionary, an Alumni individual is a person who has belonged to an organization, such as a University, a civic group, or it could be an association with the military, but is no longer an active member of that organization or group. However, they may still lend support to that organization, whether it be financial or otherwise. So, what is a BSA Alumni? Is he or she still a registered scouter? That would undermine the definition, it its truest sense. If this is the case, why was the award created? It would be assumed that it is only meant for former BSA registered members--Alumni. Unless, the requirements are based on some other criteria that would support it being aquired by an active BSA member, why create a knot for a former BSA active member? I'm just speculating. of course."

Why are you speculating???

Prior messages seem to make it clear that the award is for CURRENT Scouters who get Alumni more involved. Its not a recognition for alumni specifically.

I don't know how they are defining "alumni" officially, but my opinion is that an alumni is an adult who was once a Boy Scout.

I don't really consider a volunteer leader no longer involved an "alumni" of the scouting program. I think of old eagle scouts when I think of alumni.

Found this on one of the web sites related to the Alumni knots.

These knots below represent a plaque or medal awarded to youth or adults for completing required training for leadership, service, or support. Knots are worn over the left pocket of the Scouting uniform.

I think BSA makes awards like this because they think its a wa to get people involved but as someone here comented, isint an alumni someone who belonged to group and has left? I think the award is flawed. Maybe the should have called it a recruiting service award?

Get he red out of BSA. Some good that did with the trained tabs and numbers. Iwas told at my scout shop cub leaders wear red trained tabs (the dumb little ones) and red numbers. I am all of some slight differances in the uniforms but I think some of wha BSA does is money driven. Have you noiced when something new like the venturing switch back come out the price is high but within 6 months the itm is on sale or put on a special? (nevermnd te fact the venturing switch backs are cap!)

Just my thoughts.

"I think BSA makes awards like this because they think its a wa to get people involved but as someone here comented, isint an alumni someone who belonged to group and has left? I think the award is flawed. Maybe the should have called it a recruiting service award?"

It seems clear to me a way to recognize people who get OTHERS involved, in this case alumni (former members). Its little different then awards to recognize getting various minority groups.

"Get he red out of BSA. Some good that did with the trained tabs and numbers. Iwas told at my scout shop cub leaders wear red trained tabs (the dumb little ones) and red numbers. I am all of some slight differances in the uniforms but I think some of wha BSA does is money driven. Have you noiced when something new like the venturing switch back come out the price is high but within 6 months the itm is on sale or put on a special? (nevermnd te fact the venturing switch backs are cap!)"

Actually, the red training strips & red numbers are for BOTH Cub Scout leaders and Venturing people (youth & adults).

The reason items like the venturing switch back are high and go low is because they aren't selling (big surprise).

Don't get me started on the FIASCO that was the numbers colors switch. Yes Cubs, Venturers, and their leaders still wear red numbers trained strips ( but as a cub leader I see a lot of CS leaders in "vintage 2008-09" centennial uniforms with green numbers and strips per the info at the time;) )

While I like the price of the new green jackets that will be replacing the red ones as they run out of inventory, yes I've been told that by a local distributor, I hate seeing traditions go away. Heck if BSA is going to replace something, at least make improvements to it like adding hand pockets that the Bemidji Woolen Mills did here:

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout

As for me and my red jacshirt, they can have my red jacshirt when they pry it off my cold dead body ;)

I'm keeping my wool jac shirt, and am welcoming the new OD Jac Shirt. One reason is due to not showing up so much in the woods. I like to blend in, but the red jac shirt does look great. Anyway, when it comes to the numbers I was one Craig Murry's site this week and saw where some crew is using blue colors, and I know of a Crew over here in Europe using the Blk/Wht Sea Scout Numbers on the Venturing uniforms.. looks great.

'Box,

I saw one unit do a custom unit patch, similar to what ships do except without the size and shape restrictions. Patch had Crew Number and three activities that they have done: a kayaker, climber, and a camper. One NICE patch that I hope to wear in a few years.

Anyway Sea Scouts are NOT suppose to wear unit numbers now, wearing Ship's patches instead. So maybe the rest of the Venturing division will go that way with custom crew patches instead of unit numbers.

Dang it! Why isn't there a Wood Badge knot? And a Wood Badge Staffer knot. And a Wood Badge Course Director Knot. Come to think of it, we need an NYLT knot. I'm thinking an OA Vigil knot might be a good thing. Then there is always the, I pull the troop trailer knot or the Popcorn Kernel knot or the I'm an adult who survived summer camp knot. Life just isn't fair.