New BSA knot

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woaplanne

I just have to ask, did you do this because you thought it would make you a better scout leader and would help your troop program and the kids or was your motivation purely self centered to get a new dodad for your uniform so that you could show it off to others? Too many scout leaders these days are really in it MAINLY for their own interests alone and usually their program, their boys, and their unit suffers as a result. Unfortunately this also results in more kids dropping out of scouting each year.

BadenP said, "Woaplanne, I just have to ask, did you do this because you thought it would make you a better scout leader and would help your troop program and the kids or was your motivation purely self centered to get a new dodad for your uniform so that you could show it off to others?"

Interesting question since the Alumni Knot has nothing to do with becoming a better scout leader or helping your troop or kids. It's about recruiting former scouts to become active in BSA. Not sure what the expected answer to be since it can't be the first option (the better scout leader) since that's not the purpose of the knot and I can't imagine someone saying, "Yes, I did for self centered reasons." It's a no-win situation.

To answer BadenP: I am active in the National association of Masonic Scouters, and worked in that capacity at the 2010 National Jamboree. For the last 2+ years I have been visiting many lodges, talking to the men about what they learned from Scouting (anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4 in each group I meet are former Scouts), about the parallels between our organizations, and encouraging the men to volunteer and the Lodges to sponsor units. I see this as helping both organizations.

After I discovered the Alumni Award (I joined the Alumni Association to aid me in that work), it was simply a matter of documenting what I had already been doing, for the most part.

This work is not about improving me as a Scout leader, but as a means of bringing back men who can help the Scouting movement, from new unit leaders to merit badge counselors. It is also a means of helping Lodges. For example, I recently recruited a Troop to help a group of older men to do "spring cleaning" in and around their building. The Lodge looks much better, and the Scouts accomplished a community service project.

And it doesn't hurt the future of our Lodges for Scouts to discover what Masonry is about, and the parallels in teaching Duty to God, Duty to Country, Duty to family..... etc.

(Sorry for the delay in answering - I've been busy. And by the way, I'm not a unit Scouter. Did that years ago.)(This message has been edited by Woapalanne)

• 1 month later...