New BSA knot

I am not sure if there is actually a way to register someone speciffically as a alumni. I think you might have to register as a MB counselor or in a position or "at large" status. I am not sure if nation thought ahead and created anything in the online recharter or in the council member data bases.

When I was in Iraq and not really a part of a troop I registered with Direct Service in there scouter reserve. I dont recall really seeing this anywhere else but with DS. Maybe scouter reserve and being a member at large (something my last district used) is one in the same?

On another note how many posts does it take to become a Sr Forum member? I head there was a patch for it? LOL

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College Scouter Reserve, is a little known and used district position in which someone who wants to remain active can maintain their registration, but will not be expected to be active except when they can. They need to do YPT training, but none of the otehr stuff is needed, and Scouter Reserve is the only district position that an 18-20yo can hold.

The position code for "College Scouter Reserve" is 92.

Eagle92 beat me to it but I'll put in my comments anyway:

-College Scouter Reserve and Scouter Reserve are district positions that are registered at the council level (I don't know why).

-There are reports all over the internet about the College Scouter Reserve's demise (even on Mike Walton's page) but they are incorrect. I'm registered as a College Scouter. ;)

-There is also a "District At-Large" position which is different in name but not in function.

Member at large PORs are for those of us who weren't elected onto the committee, but work on the district level. I was registered "at large" several times in the past, including when I was OA chapter adv. and chapt. Assoc Adv.

Eagle92 beat me to it but I'll put in my comments anyway:

-College Scouter Reserve and Scouter Reserve are district positions that are registered at the council level (I don't know why).

-There are reports all over the internet about the College Scouter Reserve's demise but they are incorrect. I'm registered as a College Scouter. ;)

-There is also a "District At-Large" position which is different in name but not in function.

-Finally, according to the National OA site, "Scout Alumnus" is still a registration category.

http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/lodge/bestpractices/registrationoptions.pdf(This message has been edited by Eagle707)

I wish I had known these "At-Large" memberships were available when I moved from Alamo Area to Greak Saul Trail in '96 (Wolverine Council then, I think?) I would have maintained my membership in the BSA for the 13 years I waited for my son to come along and then be old enough to join Cub Scouts and then become his den leader. lol

- Charlie(This message has been edited by Tex-Mex Dad)

To drift this topic a little further out, District Members at large, code 75, are actually the voting members of the district committee.

District Committee Member. code 79, are the nonvoting members of the committee. From the District Nomination Committee worksheet, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/513-332_Fillable.pdf.

And now to bring it back, the final requirements are available here, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/alumni/pdf/542-056_WB.pdf

"Finally, according to the National OA site, "Scout Alumnus" is still a registration category.

http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/lodge/bestpractices/registrationoptions.pdf " That page says, "Of course, these registration options are available only for current Arrowmen." So I guess you have to be a member of the Order of the Arrow to register as a Scout Alumnus.

I'm glad I popped in here and saw the discussion on Scouter Reserve. My son just aged out and we have a couple more boys aging out who want to maintain their registration in scouting. They have been filling out adult registration forms with the troop using the scouter reserve code. To my knowledge, no one has come back and said it is a district registration rather than a unit registration.