New BSA knot

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insignia guide recomends you wear no more the 9 knots but its only a recomendation.

I've never seen this anywhere. Can you provide a page number or link where I could find it? Sea Scouts has a limit, but I've seen a recommended limit for the Boy Scout uniform.

I did find this quote in the official policy, where it lists several reasons for the uniform, including:

Achievement. The uniform shows the wearer's activity, responsibility, and achievement. What each youth or adult member has accomplished with program opportunities can be recognized by the insignia worn on the uniform.At the same time, it also says Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered. The things this goes on to describe, though, sound more like "Don't have multiple positions of responsibility on your uniform at once. Don't stick temporary badges everywhere. Adults shouldn't wear youth rank badges or merit badges."

BSA gives out the awards. They appear to encourage you to wear them, at least to some point. Why is it therefore counter to the BSA's ideals to wear them? That just sounds bizarre.

I've known some great people with lots of knots, and I've known some great people with no knots. I've had people with one knot say that they won't get a second one because they'd have to get trained and they already know it all and therefore won't go to training. That's more arrogant than anything I've heard the most decorated people say. If someone has given 10 or 20 years to Scouting, I'm happy to recognize him for all he's accomplished, and I'd say he'd be welcome to wear as many or as few knots as he wants to.

Oak,

Did I say Insignia Guide in my original quote and not the WB21C Administrative Guide?

Sorry IG has no restrictions on the number of knots anyone can wear, including Sea Scouts and Sea Scout leaders ( Sea Scout restrictions are in the Sea Scout Manual).

The WB21C 2008 Administrative Guide states on page 26 under Uniforms for Staff the following:

4. It is recommended that Wood Badge Staff members not wear more than nine square knots on their uniforms.

Since this thread has mutated a little, what I find interesting is that according to the WB21C guide, participants

1. During a Wood Badge course, participants wear their official Scouting uniforms (official Scout leader shirt, Scout pants, leather or web belt, and official socks) with the shoulder loops signifying their Scouting program. Each person has the option of wearing uniform shorts, long pants, or a skirt.

and 3. As the symbol of membership in Troop 1, participants will wear a Troop 1

neckerchief held in place with a participants woggle (prepared during the Day

One troop meeting).

So my question is this: Do Venturing leaders whose units do not use the official uniforms, instead going the Polo shirt and Jeans route, or even the Tie-Dye T shirt route have to buy uniform to participate? Also what about Sea Scout leaders since they don't wear neckers?

Oak tree my manual is packed up(just moved) but its on the first couple pages under the uniform tab.

Back at Ft Bragg my crew operated a little more like a post. It was desgined for youth who were interested in the medical field. We wore scrub top with BSA insignia in the same positions as shirt green shirt.most of my youth were also VOA so hadboth.

I know my old council would have accepted my scrub top at WB21 but I don't know if all councils would.

Sorry for mutating the thread.

I know that my old council (Chief Seattle) required Venturing leaders to wear the "suggested" uniform for Wood Badge training.

From the council's Wood Badge site:

"It is true that Venturing crews select their own uniforms. We do request, though, that Venturing people on course wear the green uniform shirt and gray slacks or shorts."

Sea Scout Leaders have Sea Badge and Sea Badge Underway as a program specific equivalent to Woodbadge.

But, I would expect them to wear a Sea Scout uniform if they attend Woodbadge (and they are not active in any other program in Scouting).

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like this conversation has drifted from the OP several pages ago. Let me ask a more topical question.

It seems like this knot requires that at least eight alumni be contacted (part 2, Alumni Engagement, which states that "the same alumni may not be used to complete more than one requirement in this section).

2 unregistered alumni who attend a district/council/community/regional/national activity (any Scouting activity, basically).

2 alumni who register (as adult scouters?)

2 unregistered alumni who are personally solicited for a "Friends of Scouting" donation

2 unregistered alumni who volunteer at a district/council/community/regional/national activity (any Scouting activity, basically)

The 4 people who attend any Scout activity have to complete Youth Protection training as well, don't they? The Scouter application, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-501.pdf doesn't seem to have a "alumni who hangs around to help with the troop" "unit position code". It seems like they should be registered either as Assistant Scoutmaster (SA for some reason, instead of AS) or as a Committee Member (which, since we have enough Committee members would seem to necessitate that they be registered as Assistant Scoutmasters, would seem to indicate a higher level of commitment). Sure, if they were the parent of a boy then they could be marked down as ScoutParent (PS), but what about those alumni who we're trying to reactivate who are former Scoutmasters and are not currently the parent of any boy still in the troop? Do they basically have to be Assistant Scoutmasters now if we have enough Committee members?

And, if one requirement is to have two unregistered alumni volunteer at an activity, and if those two aren't the parent of a boy still in the troop and are required to register (and get a background check) before volunteering, how can that last requirement be met (or is it enough that they were initially unregistered before they were contacted as becoming an alumni member)?

You can register alumni in your council as merit badges counselors, BSA alumni, or Scouter Reserve (check with your council service center for details).

Also, with regard to YPT: you don't have to be a BSA member to take YPT. It is available through myscouting.org for anyone to take.

Basementdweller

If you go back and read over some of the posts you will see things got off topic a couple times (increasing the number of posts when they have nothing to do with the topic). The topic of square knot awards seems to be a big point of contention among some adult leaders so why wouldnt this have alot of posts?

We have gone through insulting everyone in the room and implying everyone who has posted is in it for them and not the kids. Lets not start this again. There is no need to fan the embers here.

YIS

knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot knot

LOL!!

I think the adult awards/knots represent the "minimum" that the adults in a Scouting program should be doing. Anyway, it was good to be reminded that people can be registered as merit badge counselors, although I'd like to hear more about registering as a BSA alumni (like how to do it). Also, what is this Scouter Reserve thing?