Uniform Required?

Ok I can agree with the statement "should be in a coat and tie or his uniform". I also agree that a Venture Crew can have any uniform they dream up in which case that uniform would be except-able for a Venture. And if a crew choose to have no uniform then the candidate should wear a coat and tie.

So how does one define the statement, "which should be as correct as possible"?

I find an attractive sheet or cloth at a thrift shop and cuts neckerchiefs out of it. I cut sections out of a branch and drill a hole in them for slides.

At our pack recruiting nights, new boys are given that neckerchief and they get to choose a slide from among those available. Parents help their son put on the neckerchief.

They are "in uniform" at that point. They don't need more uniform than that at any time as far as I'm concerned, although most get uniforms pretty promptly.

Much of the time, I wear one of those neckerchief and slides to set the example as Cubmaster.

Ha.. Like that will mean much. I work training, and everyone in the traing committee district & council except for me are against the test out of IOLS, so they banned it in our council and will not recognize it as valid training.. Even though National has stated it is valid training.

National has also made a new NYLT that is for Venturing & boy scouts.. Those who have run JLT then NYLT for years do not want venturing to "pollute" the training.. So they run the old one and will not acknowledge the new one as valid, and it is still only open to the boy scouts..

Council is backing the people running the program, not what National has stated as being valid.. If any of this is forced on them, I guarentee you will have a difficult test for IOLS, or that any Venture in that course will not get fair treatment..

Now I will also guarentee that with district Advancement EBOR, walk in and argue the issue that you have the right to be in a shirt and tie.. Don't expect a board that night.. Push the issue in council.. Maybe you will win, but most likely not, since our council has bowed to the Training Volunteers although they are wrong to .. I would expect they will also, bow to the Advancement board.. If they don't, come back in your suit & tie and expect a very grilling Eagle board, were no one is in favor of you..

It is called human nature... People who are set with their traditions, will not bow graciously to someone stomping all over them..

'92 -- thanks for picking up the slack for me, I actually spent the early morning working on a new district database, and forgot to check the forum! I appreciate the assist.

MT -- It's sad that people think they "control" everything and refuse to follow the guidelines the rest of us support. I hope that sometime soon a good Key 3 person asks them to "retire." Then, maybe, normalcy will be restored.

I would define, what is a uniform. Besides the Suit option, a uniform could be jeans the the tan shirt with rank. It's what's the uniform within the troop. You could get nit-picky about shoes, socks, pants, belt and anything else. Stick with the Oath & Law and the Scout will be fine. It's the Adult's that get in the way.

The scout should not be denied Eagle based upon what he wears. There are many reasons why a uniform might not be worn. It should be asked. The scout should have a valid reason.

If word gets out that the EBOR is getting harsh on little things, then scouts just might be Life for Life.

If the uniform is not required, some units allow for partial uniforms and some don't, when in doubt, wear a suit and tie. I would much rather see a scout in suit and tie over a half-done uniform. A boy showing up in a coat and tie wearing blue jeans looks sloppy and has no place in a scout activity especially a ECOH. Half a uniform doesn't cut it either. If I have to wear a suit and tie for work and don't have one, I buy one! It's the cost of doing business. And as a personal note, if I was applying for a janitorial job at a local business, I would still show up in a suit and tie for the interview. I may be a bit old-school, but Scout Spirit is involved here.

Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

ScouterAdam,

1) WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

2) I must respectfully disagree with the a uniform could be jeans the the tan shirt with rank. It's what's the uniform within the troop. You could get nit-picky about shoes, socks, pants, belt and anything else. comment. BSA has already decided what the uniform is comprised of, and does not allow packs or troops to decide what a uniform is comprised of. Socks, pants/shorts, belt, etc are the Scout uniform.

Now do we have kids out there that cannot afford a new, stress NEW, uniform? Absolutely, and I was one of those kids. Heck I never owned a new uniform until I worked for Supply and was issued one, always got used uniforms. There are ways to get uniforms if the scouts want them. Thrift stores, unit uniform closets, ebay, craigslist, garage sales, older scouts.

I can undestand folks going for T-2-1 ranks not having a complete uniform yet, as they may be trying to buy their own uniform piecemeal. But by the time someone is going for Eagle, at a minimum, they have been in the program at least 17 months, but usually it is longer. They should have had time to get a complete uniform.

EDITED: Don't know if the new BSHB say a scout should buy his own uniform like older ones did, but that would be another reason why I am OK with a new scout on the T-2-1 ranks and an incomplete uniform.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Eagle92: Thanks for the welcome! Appreciated.

While I agree that the Scout should have a complete uniform for the EBOR and in that case any BOR, I suspect that there are many cases of that not happening. When it does, the scout needs to explain why. If it's his Sunday's best and the troop is run in a way that the culture in that troop stipulates jeans & tan shirt, then I will ask him why. His Scoutmaster will also get questioned why. It could be Scoutmaster/Committee driven. If that is the case, then the issue is with them and not the Scout.

Also, the Scoutmaster can provide insight into the history of the Scout's family if it really is a money issue. If it is and the Scout is Thrifty, there again, understanding is given.

Overall, if the scout is living by the Oath and Law, showing Scout Spirit and shows up in an incomplete uniform I will find out why and proceed.

Thanks for the welcome...see you again!

Thanks to all for your insights!

Found this in Aids to Scoutmastership, B.P, didn't "Care a fig". Could explain why the "Corporation" doesn't require.

Dust off your "Saucy cock"'s

Thanks again!!

THE SCOUT UNIFORM

I have often said, "I don't care a fig whether a Scout wears a uniform or not so long as his heart is in his work and he carries out the Scout Law." But the fact is that there is hardly a Scout who does not wear uniform if he can afford to buy it.

The spirit prompts him to it.

The same rule applies naturally to those who carry on the Scout Movement-the Scoutmasters and Commissioners; there is no obligation -on them to wear uniform if they don't like it. At the same time, they have in their positions to think of others rather than of themselves.

Personally, I put on uniform, even if I have only a Patrol to inspect, because I am certain that it raises the moral tone of the boys. It heightens their estimation of their uniform when they see it is not beneath a grown man to wear it; it heightens their estimation of themselves when they find themselves taken seriously by men who also count it of importance to be in the same brotherhood with them.

Smartness in uniform and correctness in detail may seem a small matter, but has, its value in the development of self-respect, and means an immense deal to the reputation of the Movement among outsiders who judge by what they see.

It is largely a matter of example. Show me a slackly-dressed Troop and I can "Sherlock" a slackly-dressed Scoutmaster. Think of it, when you are fitting on your uniform or putting that final saucy cock to your hat.

You are the model to your boys and your smartness will reflect itself in them.