Uniform Required?

Done some poking around the interweb, can't find an answer to this one, I'm sure it has been here before.

Does BSA require a uniform to be worn at any time or occasion?

I haven't found anything that says so.

Thanks

The BSA? Nope. Except Jambo and da World Jambo contingent, and NAYLE I think.

Local councils? Nope. Except maybe NYLT.

Your troop? It's up to you eh? Technically, yeh can't add to the advancement requirements, but yeh can put any other expectations on that you want. Require full uniform for everything if yeh like.

I'd say most troops expect at least partial uniforms for indoor meetings, and full uniforms for formal ceremonies and other events out in public. Some require uniforms for travel to and from outings. Very few require uniforms actually on an outing, except for dinner at summer camp.

Beavah

May get points taken off on your score at camporees without it, depends on what they are looking for and if it is so cold you are too bundled up to tell..

Our council summer camp requires it for the dinning hall..

Our district requires it for your EBOR, shirt & neckerchief definately other items optional (don't know what they will do with the new catalogs comming out making.. Other districts in our council are very picky that it must be FULL uniform, depends on who runs the eagle board..

Now, there is required and there is required.. I don't know what they will do if you don't comply.. You paid for your meal, so I don't think they can deny you your dinner at summer camp.. I have heard that the FULL uniform EBOR people have been put to the test, and have refused an EBOR, don't know if our district has ever been challenged for the shirt & neckerchief.. They know they would have to accept a Venturing uniform of "whatever", but there has never been a Venturing Eagle in our district or any other in oue council as it was a subject of question & debate at the Council wide program meeting for them about 4 months back.. Someone had to write to Texas for the answer, the subject had never needed to be addressed.. But it was just something to debate on a quiet evening, still no Venturing Eagle..

Various marketing activities - being featured in Boys' Life, or various other places - can require the uniform.

Our summer camp requires the full uniform if you want to participate in the flag ceremony.

NAYLE does require it, I think, Beav. "As a NAYLE Participant, I will: [...] -Wear my full, official BSA Field Uniform or proper clothing as required"

I can imagine any number of specific instances where you might be required to wear your uniform in order to participate in some specific activity - "report to the governor", or local town flag-raising, or teaching a class on Scouting, or whatever. That's not the BSA making some general rule - just local people using their discretion to keep things at the appropriate level.

...isn't an EBOR setting a requirement for uniform wear adding to rank requirements?

I don't think so at all.. For every rank advancement, you are to show scout spirit. Not seeing it important to wear a scout uniform to the EBOR would definately show lack of scout spirit.

MT --

I have sat on EBoR's where the young man did not have a uniform. He was however in a suit.

In one case, he had a extreme growth spurt over summer, and it just did not fit (the parents were strapped, but the grandparents did just buy him the new suit), two other cases were Explorer's, whose unit did not have a uniform - so they wore suits.

BTW - if you read the Advancement Guide, a suit is a valid option.

UCEagle72, "BTW - if you read the Advancement Guide, a suit is a valid option."

I must of missed that one, guess I look again. In the mean time could you please past the page and paragraph number.

Thank You.

This tread is of great interest to me right now. Because as the new District Advancement Chairman I plan on pushing full uniform for EBOR. Its my opion that if a young man feels he has done all that is reguired to optain the highest rank in the program, Eagle Scout, should look and act like a scout. You can't do that without a full Scout Uniform.

The definition I use is the one in the Boy Scout Handbook and the insignia guide.

I plan on dropping the boom at district meeting and round-table next week. I expect to hit some resistance, as this will be a change in the way things have been done in this district for several years.

Gary,

I did a quick online search as I no longer have the book. Unfortunately coat and tie instead of a uniform is allowed. P. 29 of the 2008 ed of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures states:

The Scout should be neat in his appearance and should be in a coat and tie or his uniform (emphasis mine), which should be as correct as possible, with the badges

worn properly.

Now I don't agree with it as I think a uniform should be worn, sven if the Venturing crew's distinctive ID uniform is a tie-dye t-shirt or polo with jeans as their uniform. But that is the rule, and if asked to sit on a EBOR, I'll follow it.

EDITED: here's the link

http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/2008AdvancementGuideBook.pdf(This message has been edited by Eagle92)