Are wearing old B.S. medals on a Cubmaster uniform OK?

My son just started in Cub Scouts this year as well, and within 2 months I was asked to become Asst. Cubmaster, too (Once they found out I earned Eagle, they came quick! Not much time to shake off 20 years of rust :) )

So as a new Scouter, and with only one other Eagle Scout in the Pack (whom I am still getting to know), this site has been a great reference for someone getting back into the game.

Of course, one of the first questions is always, "when should I wear my medal?"

I agree with BS24. Eagle is probably the most recognizable icon that non-Scouters relate to. They may not know anything about Scouts, but they know what an Eagle Scout is, or at least what one is supposed to be. Why not take every opportunity you can to promote Scouting? Why keep this particular medal in a box and only wear it with other Eagles at an ECOH? Use it to it's full potential!

My son's den is going to present colors and lead the Pledge of Allegiance at our village council meeting coming up; I plan on wearing my medal there. A civic event where we are able to promote our Pack to the local government and our community - seems like an ideal opportunity.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer is - Do whatever you want.

Per BSa guidelines, you should not wear items you earned as a youth other than knots above the left pocket.

However, you can wear a temporary patch either on or hanging from the button (or both) of the right pocket. Put your Philmont patch or religious emblem there and don't let anyone tell you you can't.

REASON - I wear my old OA patch on that pocket (the unit has been merged and its an out of commission unit now anyways) - BUT, it is a GREAT conversation starter with the youth...

How'd you get that one.... how old were you when you got it? What did you have to do to earn it?...

All those types of questions build the fire in the boys' ambition to do more than just their current rank. It is one of the BEST retention tools you have at your disposal.

My 2 cents.... DeanRx

P.S. - Welcome to the virtual campfire.

"Per BSa guidelines, you should not wear items you earned as a youth other than knots above the left pocket."

Not quite.

If they are medals you CAN wear them at formal occasions. Formal occasions can be blue/gold banquets, court of honors/bridge of honors, eagle court of honors, district/council banquets, etc.

You don't just wear medals at any old occasions (ie, regular meetings, roundtables, training events, committee meetings, etc).

A civic event would be an appropriate time to wear SOME of your medals (ie Eagle medal or the like) but not others (trail medals).

A civic event would be an appropriate time to wear SOME of your medals (ie Eagle medal or the like)

This is an important point that folks often neglect. The Eagle medal is not just for your scouting uniform. If one attends "tie and tails" social events where medals are worn, one could wear his eagle on his lapel. Also, for scout Sunday, you might want to encourage former eagles to pull their medals out of the attic and put them on their "Sunday best". (Actually, if you encourage their wives, it's more likely to happen!)

That's the point of medals, they are meant for formal occasions long after the uniform doesn't fit. (E.g., when my uncle went back to visit Normandy, he brought his purple heart to wear on his dinner jacket.)

EXCELLENT idea to wear those items at the B$G, especially as a new CM! As far as the Uniform Police are concerned: I wear 2 Eagle Mentor pins very proudly on my uniform shirt despite the "guideline" that they are for civilian wear. I have yet in all these years have anyone be brazen enough to tell me that they are "improper" or "not allowed". The first one to do so will be told in no uncertain terms to proceed to a place of Eternal Heat and Damnation. Those who know me KNOW I will too!

No doubt a Cub, parent, or former/present scouter will ask you what a particular item is, or ask how you earned it! Tell 'em proudly!! Each uniform tells a unique story. This is Scouting, not the Military. Enjoy, and HAVE FUN!