Are wearing old B.S. medals on a Cubmaster uniform OK?

AJR,

For the Pope Pius XII, irregardless of if earned as a Boy Scout, Venturer, or multiple registration, wears the Venturing device. But if you are a Sea Scout, you may substitute the Sea Scout device for the Venturing device.

Back in the day I had the Exploring device on my knot until the head of the local Catholic Committee on Scouting told me to replace the E with the First Class Anchor as I was a registered Sea Explorer. Yes I earned the award as a scout.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oak Tree wrote: The guide specifically lists the five knots that can *only* be earned by youth, but there are roughly seven other knots that can be earned by either youth or adults."

"My total count is 11: Arrow of Light, Eagle, Quartermaster, Venturing Silver, Heroism Award, Honor Medal, Medal of Merit, Hornaday, OA Distinguished Service Award, religious emblem, James E. West."

"Am I missing one?"

Yes, the Venturing Leadership Award, which, like the OA DSA, can be received by both youth & adults.

"What exactly is a "device"? Am I supposed to have a "device" to indicate that I earned my religious award as a Boy Scout? "

We are speaking of small knot devices, small pins which are worn on the knot to indicate earning more then one award represented by the knot in different programs. At present, the knots devices are: Cub Scout, Webelos Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, Sea Scouts, Varsity Scout, Commissioner, and District.

The religious youth awards may, for some religious groups/denominations, can be earned at different program levels (Cub Scout, Webelos Scouts, Boy Scouts, older Boy Scouts/Venturing), and if the youth does earn several of these awards wears several knot devices to indicate all these awards they've earned.

Adults may earn certain awards (Scouter Training Award, Scouters Key) more then one time, but in different programs, and if they did so, wear the devices to indicate this.

emb21:

"We are speaking of small knot devices, small pins which are worn on the knot to indicate earning more then one award represented by the knot in different programs. At present, the knots devices are: Cub Scout, Webelos Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, Sea Scouts, Varsity Scout, Commissioner, and District."

I've always known about the devices, as I have them for my youth religious award (earned it thrice, at different levels) and have been wearing them since my second one (though only on special occasions these days). Anyway, after all that, I get to my question, what is this district device? That is the one device you listed that I have never seen. I ask because as a District Committee member and an ASM, I'm curious.

'O4

Check out here

http://usscouts.org/awards/devices.asp

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/SearchPage.aspx?page=LIST&free_text|=device&answers_per_page=15

http://usscouts.org/awards/jameswest.asp#1910

http://usscouts.org/awards/Philmont.asp

For whatever reason, SCOUTSTUFF doesn't list the commissioner or district committee devices. But that's not surprising as ther eare items out there that are not listed, i.e. Sea Scout lapel pin ( or as it said on the label when I got mine a few months back: Sea Explorer Lapel Pin).

Now in reference to youth knots, I got a interesting question. Some districts have the OA chapter chief as a member of the district committee, and I've heard of some districts doign the same for Venturing youth leaders as well. SO if the youth serving on those committees meet the requriements, wouldn't they also be eligible for the District Committee Key?

Buckytom,

Great!!! Welcome back to Scouting, BTW!

Yes, wear your Arrowhead on the right pocket as a temporary dangle patch. I believe the Tooth Of Time Traders trading posts sells a plastic protector for this very special patch you have! :) You walked hard to earn that one, it tells a major tale of your own Scouting career.

Yes, by all means get the purple background, silver rope square knot of BSA recognition of a youth religious emblem. Again, it helps tell your own story.

Have fun on the trail as you become Cubmaster. If you only remember one thing from training, make it: KISMIF! (Keep it simple, make it fun) :)

Enjoy!

Clemlaw --

If you only earned one religious award, then wearing a device is not needed. Devices are meant to signify more than one award. I don't wear the scout device on my youth religious knot - I only earned one. I wear devices on my "Key" knot because I have earned three.

"At present, the knots devices are: Cub Scout, Webelos Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, Sea Scouts, Varsity Scout, Commissioner, and District."

As Eagle92 referenced, there are more.

There are also two devices that can be attached to the James West knot. The 1910 Society ($25,000) and the Founders Circle ($100,000 via will/trust/life insurance). http://usscouts.org/awards/jameswest.asp#1910

Philmont Training Center has a device that goes on the PTC Masters Track knot. http://usscouts.org/awards/Philmont.asp

You can also wear Eagle palm devices on the Eagle knot. There are bronze, gold, and silver palm devices.

There is a crossed palm device that goes on the honor medal. I don't see an indication that it can also be worn on the knot, but I'd say if you've earned it for medal wear, it would be appropriate to wear it on the knot too.

The Distinguished Eagle Scout award comes with a small Eagle device to pin on the Eagle knot.

(for some of those I can only find semi-official evidence...if any of it looks wrong to you, please correct me.)

emb021 correctly identified the seventh knot that I was referring to (Venturing Leadership). I suspect that some of the knots may not specifically be restricted to adults, but are just defined in a way that makes them virtually adult-only. However, I could imagine that an older Boy Scout could work really hard to get a pack started and qualify for a new unit organizer knot, and I'd guess that a Venturing "youth" could qualify for even more.

Interesting facts: The religious awards do not correspond precisely to the age groupings in Boy Scouts. So a Catholic youth, it appears, could earn Light of Christ in grades 1-2 and wear a Cub Scout device, and then earn Parvuli Dei as a second level award and wear the Webelos device while in grade 3. The Churches of Christ second level award can be earned in grades 4-6, so apparently a Boy Scout in sixth grade could earn the Webelos device. Older Boy Scouts are able to earn the Venturing device, even if they aren't Venturers.

If you only earned one religious award, then wearing a device is not needed. Devices are meant to signify more than one award. This is certainly the traditional usage, and it is the only way to signify that you've earned an award in multiple programs (you can't wear multiple of the same knot). However, you can certainly wear one device on a knot if you want. From the Insignia Guide: "[devices] are worn on the knot to designate the phase(s) of the program in which the award or key was earned." Since the plural "phase(s)" is optional, the device can designate a single phase.

And yes, roughly $2.99 each.

Oak,

One reason why some religious awards do not correspond to scouting levels, esp the Catholic ones, is that Scouting has changed age requirements and added programs since the particular religious awards have come out.

For example, in my day CS was a 3 year program; 3rd grade was Wolves, 4th Bears, and 5th Webelos. So the Parvuli Dei Award was created as a Cub Scout geared towards those grades. When Tigers came out in 1982 for 2nd graders as a separate program, various diocese created pilot awards that eventually became the Light of Christ, and it was a Tiger Cub Award. But then Cub Scouts added Tigers formally into the program and lowered the age, hence the today's format.

Also if memory serves, at one time at age 15 BSA registered you as an Explorer, even if still involved with a troop. It's my understanding that is why some religious awards can be earned by both Scouts and Venturers, i.e. Pope Pius XII for Catholics.

Emb could give you a better understanding of the Older Scout awards and programs as he is the expert on that topic.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading the entire thread, a few thoughts:

* It is an insignia GUIDE, not an insignia RULE BOOK

* If it doesn't harm your scouting program, or put the youth in some sort of jeopardy, then probably it is not worth any stress on your part

* It is your shirt, and they are your awards

* I wear my Eagle medal and God & Country medal right under my knots to fancy events. I encourage my leaders (I too am a Cubmaster) to wear any bead necklaces the district gives out for going to round table, wear the knots we award them for their service, and to wear any mom or dad pins their boys have put on them.

"Scouting is a jolly game" - it is supposed to be fun with a purpose.

Someone show me the purpose in telling an old eagle scout that "general policy" says he is not to wear his eagle medal. Nonsense. Wear it proudly. You earned it, and it shows the boys what they are working for.

You know, it's hard to say no to this; it just doesn't matter very much. If it trips your trigger, fine, wear the medals; heck, it might be interesting for others to see them on you.

The more the uniform gets to be an oppressive thing, the less joy people will take in wearing it. It becomes a burden.

I wear my uniform 5 or 6 days a week, so I wear out or they start to look ratty, about two a year. My uniform is plain except for the unit number, council strip, world scouting crest and position patch.

Why do you need or want to wear all those do dads??? but if it floats your boat then have at it. kinda like all those guys who wear their boyhood OA flaps as an adult.