Non BSA Brand Uniform items

Do any of you were non BSA Brand uniform items?

Like the trousers jackets etc.. I know that the shirts are harder to change up. But the trousers and other items are a bit easier. Example. I just got myself a good deal on Grey trouser and OD trousers from Cabelas.

Could these work. I'm not a fan of the zip off BSA pants. They are big a baggy, and look like crap for CoH, and Staffing COurses. Don't look very pro. I have a couple pairs of the older BSA trouser which I love, and am always looking for more, but almost impossible to find in my 38x32 size. And I know the BSA makes a pair of Wool straight leg trousers for SMs. WHich like I said look better, but are pricey. Again I've found Dark OD Chinos wrinkle free for no money at Cabelas that look the same. But is this considered OK.

Thanks SB

The official uniform inspection sheet says that "Units have no option to change" when it comes to wearing the official uniform pants or shorts.

Of course, the mere fact that you are even concerned about this puts you ahead of the majority of uniform wearers out there. Ok, I can't prove "majority" but outside council staff it's the exception around here to see a leader in full uniform.

Here's my usual thinking on this, for meetings, especially those where I am going to be around district/council/area/region/national staff, I'm wearing the official pants. If not, if it's an activity, a service project, a camping trip, the official pants don't come along usually.

I'm not advocating not wearing a full uniform, but I just find there are other pants much more suitable than the official ones for non-meeting activities. I do try to match color as much as possible though. My goal is that at a distance, someone is not going to be able to tell the difference.(This message has been edited by VigilEagle04)

Official answer is no, you must stick with official uniform items. Ebay is great fro finding older official uniform items. I know being in Geneva can be a pain to get stuff, but maybe relatives in the states can get the items and then ship it to you?

I wear OD military surplus pants with the uniform. They must be 25+ years old but I bought them in mint condition. In my pack there is nobody with official pants, youth or adult, except one wood badge trained gentleman whose son is crossing over to Scouts this year.

At Roundtable perhaps a third have official pants among Cub leaders. I intend to have the official pants after a few years, maybe after my son is certain he'll go on to Boy Scouts.

Unofficial answer is that all kinds of scouters substitute out da pants for OD look-a-likes. Honestly, I prefer it a hundred times more than just wearin' jeans. Columbia, REI, Cabelas are all common.

Venturing grays are even easier, because it was da intention in Venturing to allow any gray pant, IIRC.

B

@Beavah,

I've seen Venturers wearing all kinds of clothing. And I've seen them 110% uniformed. I also have a WB Staff member who wore a pair of Dark grey shorts from Jack Wolfskin. I also have a pair of their Dark Grey Trousers that are great.

I wear in the field often other trouser to save on my Scout Pants that I can't get anymore. I also prefer to keep my scout trousers for meeting, and courses.

"I've seen Venturers wearing all kinds of clothing. And I've seen them 110% uniformed. I also have a WB Staff member who wore a pair of Dark grey shorts from Jack Wolfskin. I also have a pair of their Dark Grey Trousers that are great."

Actually, with Venturing from day one, we have been allowed to get charcoal gray pants/shorts from ANY source and be in uniform. We are NOT required to get the ones from National Supply.

Further, with Venturing, each crew can choose their OWN uniform, that need not be the dark green shirt with charcoal gray pants/shorts.

Emb is correct in that Venturers could wear ANY gray shorts or pants since day 1, especially since national didn't make shorts for over a year afgter Venturing was officially started in Aug 98 and 2 years after that.

Really. Then how is it possible for Fleece jacket with BSA stuff sewn on them used. I know my council and others have Fleece jackets with out CSP on the chest. WB Polos, and other WB T-shirts. Staff hats, and caps. There are non-BSA issued items worn all of the time through out the BSA and I've never heard anyone say that these were not to be worn.

Don't mean to bring this to an argument, but there are a lot of people on this board who are Uniform NAZIs. Ready to pounce on any ideas about the uniform. I do wear the correct uniform every meeting etc.. but there are a lot of items that are not BSA tagged being worn. Belts, patches caps, jackets, etc.. you go to the Philmont Site "Tooth of Time" shop and they don't sell anything BSA tagged, except maybe a few patches. I have a hard enough time getting other adults, and boys in my Troop to wear part of the Uniform part of the time. And sadly with no support from the Committee and SM with this, it will never change. But to hear someone reply to a simple question like there's no other chose or possibility, and if your troop isn't in 100% full uniform then your not Scouting or something. Then these same people cry about how they don't like the new uniform, won't buy the new uniform, won't wear the new uniform. blah, blah, blah.. give me a break and get real. Sure I'd love to be part of a troop where uniform is enforce. and the boys wear it correctly. But my troop produces so great scouts, and they go on to become good people. And they managed to do it, with just a Scout shirt..

Now sorry for the Rant, but I've been on here long enough to read this in almost every post, and see topics being brought off topic because of these kinds of statements..

You're confusing the issue, I believe.

First: Jackets are not part of the uniform. They're outerwear, and optional.

Second: A Wood Badge or summer camp polo or t-shirt is not part of the uniform. No knowledgeable Scouter or Scout wearing one of those would claim that he or she were "in uniform."

The basic uniform consists of pans/shorts, socks, belt, shirt and hat (optional). Simple and straightforward.

You can wear whatever else you want - coats, jackets, undershirts, underwear, shoes - but the basics cannot be altered.

My point is not that you're a "bad Scout" if you don't wear the uniform. My point is that you can't create a second class of "non BSA Brand uniform items" and claim that they're part of the uniform.

Short,

I must respectfully disagree. Wearing a scout t-shirt or golf shirt with the rest of the field uniform, i.e. socks, shorts/pants/skirt/cullotes, belt, and optional hat is called an activity uniform, commonly called a "Class B."

An old poster here and I got into a big row on this topic on another website. Ultimately this was the conclusion that came about as we both cited where we got our information from, all BSA sources. Sorry the link to that group is no longer available, as Myscouting.org no longer gives you access to groups.

Field uniform: official hat, necker, slide, shirt, belt, pants/short/skirt/cullotes, socks. Allliterature talks about this.

Activity uniform: scout t-shirt or polo vs. official shirt currently in SM Specific training syllabus. Also BSA came out with an offical activity uniform in the 1990s of the the following: tan shorts and colored polo designating what you were, i.e. tan polo with universal emblem and Varsity on it for Varsity Team members, red polo with universal emblem for Scouts and leaders, and maroon polo with universal emblem and Venture for Venture Crew(now called Venture Patrol) members. See the 1990s BSHB for that.

Dress Uniform: grey trousers/skirt, black leather belt,, white shirt/blouse, navy blue coat, uniform dress tie, and pocket dress emblem. In the insignia guide.

Camp Uniform: any CUB SCOUT t-shirt. I stress CUB SCOUT as I have only seen a reference to this uniform in CSDC and CSRC NCS books.

I would lie to add to the point of what is the uniform. When at Camp the daily uniform is set out. When I was Camp Staff this past Summer, we were given a Staff Polo with cap and Necker. So I wore that along with the standard Scout shirt daily. When at WB we wore Scout shirt daily except for twice when we wore our Class shirts for activities.. So the PLC or CD or Sm sets the uniform for an activity, meeting or event and that's the uniform. same everywhere else I've worked. In the Army it was the same. but 365 days a year. I saw a picture from the new Scout Camp /Jambo site and the Chief Scout Ex. was there wearing a suit??? not wearing a Scouters uniform..