Wearing Custom/Private CSP on uniform

Can anyone provide the BSA regulations that govern what patches may be worn on a scout uniform and where? I am certain they exist somewhere because I've never seen scouts sewing large biker patches on the back of their shirts (that's largely dry humor).

Seriously, I am looking to design a custom CSP (Council Shoulder Patch). I would be using BSA licensed patch printers (looking at stadriemblems.com) and adhering to BSA guidelines for patch design. I am unclear if I would be allowed to wear the custom designed CSP on my uniform if it were designed to BSA specifications listed at http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Licensing/Protecting the Brand/~/media/Licensing/Docs/Guidelines for%20Custom%20Patches%20and%20Emblems_20090706.ashx

Once,

You will need permission of the local council since they own the council's name. Had a unit doing that locally, and they received a letter from the council's lawyer to stop or face a lawsuit.

Now I have seen custom CSPs done, especially for Sea Scouts. Just need permission form the SE.

"Can anyone provide the BSA regulations that govern what patches may be worn on a scout uniform and where?"

Yeah. Its called the Insignia Guide. Its available in print and on-line (tho the on-line version is out of date). The print version has been around for decades.

Note that a "Council Shoulder Patch" is a patch issued BY YOUR COUNCIL to represent it. So individual units have no business creating their own. The whole purpose of CSPs is to have a patch to represent the whole council. So creating CSPs that can only be worn or is only worn by a small group is kind of self defeating.

Yah, emb021, councils design and authorize these things all the time, eh? Yeh see a mess of different ones just for different levels of FOS donation.

Simplest answer is Eagle92's. Yeh need authorization from your SE (that would be "Scout Executive", the head paid guy in your council). To get authorization, it helps if yeh give a healthy FOS donation, since typically they make a few cents off each CSP sold ;). Or just make up a mess of 'em and allow da council to sell 'em as an alternative, or as their centennial +1 patch.

Beavah

If you really want something troop/patrol specific, something on the uniform that your group and only your group has, take a look at neckerchiefs. They can really be whatever you want them to be -- whatever color, they can have whatever image you want on them, like a patrol symbol, BSA symbol, etc. It's whatever you all vote on. Some groups vote on "no" neckerchiefs (invisible neckerchiefs), some have elaborate designs, some wear the regular ones from the store. That's the place, though, where your unit can do its own individual thing (if you all want to). Just don't embarrass the rest of us, ok?

Once,

Greetings!

You've already listed the licensing page in your question. I've also recently heard phrases such as "marketing the brand" and "losing the brand". The Insignia guide tells us what a CSP is, but not the difference in normal CSP, special event CSPs, special donation CSPs or anything else. All I know is that the CSPs need to be approved via the SE. I've never seen literature from National BSA that tells a Scout when he can wear a CSP in lieu of another CSP.

I myself am a Scouter and Venturer, so I wear both a khaki shirt and a green shirt, depending on the event.

In my area, we enjoy the council's CSP. There is the normal CSP and a few various special edition CSPs. The normal CSP background is light tan. It goes well with the Scout's khaki shirt, but it stand out brightly against the darker forest green Venturing shirt. I like my council's normal CSP; just not on my green shirt.

My Venturing Crew designed a Venturing CSPs, with a fewer darker green, grey, and brown colors. Years ago, we sent the design to the council venturing advisor and the scout executive. Twice, just to be sure.

We never heard anything back. We expected it would be considered a "speed bump" by the council store, to order, stock and to sell such a small amount of CSPs. So we took it as silence is golden.

So, without a No. My Crew produced the CSPs. It is not a silly comical patch, or spoofing any other patch. It is just more of a Venturing quality, than a Cub Scout/Boy Scout image. If another Crew is interested, we sell them from our Crew. We don't make a profit off of them, as they are only rounded to the nearest 50 cents above cost. We don't put any special criteria on the patch (like earning a rank or contributing time/money) we only ask that purchasers do not Ebay them and don't sew them on the khaki uniform. It is not my crew's intention to be elitist, but we agreed, the khaki patch on the green shirt looks horrible and our Venturing CSP looks much better. Maybe 1/4 of the council Venturers wear our patch.

Finally, we don't even actively sale them. We don't carry them to Venturing events. If other Venturers ask, "where did you get that patch", we said it's in our Crew store and refer them to email our Crew committee.

So, Once_Eagle_Always_Eagle, I'd say design an idea. Email it to the SE (as sometimes there are roadblocks and speed bumps in the way), and request permission to proceed. Good Luck in creating a custom CSP that the Scouts can be proud of!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv