Charter Organization Patch On Uniform

Allow me to be clear.

I want to offer to the scouts in our unit the opportunity to wear an emblem that identifies their charter.

Shortridge you said "wear a temporary patch (right side pocket)."

OK,

What's does temporary mean? Can I have them sew it on?

Sorry about any confusion. I presumed that you had read the Insignia Guide before talking about new insignia regulations.

From the Insignia Guide, under "Temporary Insignia":

Temporary insignia are issued for such events as summer camp, camporees, and Scouting shows. All temporary insignia must contain identification including one of the following: corporate name (Boy Scouts of America); corporate initials (BSA), BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with eagle or plain one-color), "Venturing BSA", or "Venturing".

Order of the Arrow regional and national meetings and training activities may also provide them (the totin chip patch is also temporary insignia). Only one such patch may be worn at a time. The patch is worn centered on the right pocket and must not exceed the dimension of the seams of the pocket, nor extend higher than the lowest tip of the pocket flap. It may be either sewn or suspended from under the flap attached to the button.

This may also be of interest, showing the wide range of options you have to show your CO affiliation:

Consider displaying temporary insignia in ways other than on the official uniform. Here are some suggestions:

* Wear it on a BSA red patch vest, campfire robe or blanket, or special neckerchief.

* Display it on a wall plaque, trophy hide, or mounted in a frame.

* Or, make a special neckerchief slide, sectional totem pole, or flagpole insignia for display.

1) It should be a permanent patch.

2) It should be below the US Flag, and bump all other right side insignia/patches downward.

3) It should be something coordinated by the National Relationships Committee, and be based on the National HQ level of the various Chartered Partners.

4) Exemptions allowed for small Partners (fewer than 1000 Scouts nationwide) and for-profit business Partners.

My thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I think that if you want to create a CO patch for your temporary patch or on a vest, then fine. Heck, if my CO bought us the patches, then I and my son would at least wear them. But they do as little as possible, with very little financial funding, so if they want it, they buy it.

I do have to say one thing about the Pack Flag, being that we were paying for the flag, the CO name did not go on it. Our co is a American Legion Post. The total character count would have been an extra 43 letters/numbers and 2 punct. marks. That would have tripled the cost of our flag. Since they were not paying for it, it did not go on.

We have a temp patch that is issed from our CO. Its not a bad patch, and does represent our area well. Geneva, Switzerland. With the Jet d`Eau on it. "Thsi si the 300 ft jet of water that shoots up intot he ski and is reknown for Geneva. We also have a TAC Temp Patch with rockers for events that can be senw around it.