Jamboree patches

"I was told by a 40 year scouter, member of the National BSA Hall of Leadership, that it was okay to have any temp patch they like go in the jambo area of the uniform. His patch was a region OA patch above the right pocket."

*** The only thing significant (and unfortunate) about a 40 year Scouter doing such a thing is that he should know better. Too bad.

BDPT00

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clem,

I do a bit of the same thing, I tend to keep the patch on my uniform from my last year on camp staff. That was my last thing as a youth, so it's just one of those things these days.

As for the uniform police, if it was once official, it is still official. As for the '73 Jambo patch, keep it on there. I know my '05 is still on mine. I've seen members of National and Regional wearing '97 patches as recently as last week, so I doubt there is an issue.

VigilEagle04,

I would define CJ'01 as a National Jamboree 'cause it is the Canadian National Jamboree. You might recall that it could also have been viewed as a world event as there were scouts from 23 nations present--thus all the national flags on the entrance gateway.

So, yes, our contingent proudly wore their CJ patches in the jambo spot above the right pocket. :)

My unit was stuck in the far back corner of Porcupine Subcamp with two other American troops (we bussed together) and some Kiwis behind us. On the other side of the Kiwis was the laundromat for Cabot Beach Park.

Emb021 said, "What was limited was the wearing of Jambo Shoulder patches & troop numbers. These were to be worn 6 months before & after the event. While I don't mind JSP worn longer, I do get sick and tired of people wearing the jambo troop number once the Jamboree is over."

In truth, any council shoulder patch (CSP) that has been legitimately issued by a council may be worn by any member who is currently registered in that council. That includes old versions of standard CSPs as well as CSPs issued for special events and activities, including National and World Jamborees. That means you need never replace your jamboree CSP unless you change councils.

I went ahead and put the 1973 Jamboree patch on my brand new uniform. Well, yes, my wife put it on for me. :)

For our "Go See It" to visit an older member of the community, we had a visit from a Scoutmaster who got started as a Cub Scout in 1945. So it was nice to be able to show off another reminder that Scouting has been around for a long time.

When the Uniform Police approach me, I'll have my line rehearsed: "Surely you're aware that the word 'current' was removed from the 2009 Insignia Guide." If they're on their toes, they'll say, "Explain it to the Judge Monday morning." :)

If you look in the right place online, there is a picture of me at the 2010 Jamboree, wearing a uniform shirt with an 1981 Jamboree patch - it's the first one I went to. (Also in a kilt, but that's another thread.) Nobody made any adverse comment whatsoever.

• 2 months later...

Trevorum and Emb021 said:

"Emb021 said, "What was limited was the wearing of Jambo Shoulder patches & troop numbers. These were to be worn 6 months before & after the event. While I don't mind JSP worn longer, I do get sick and tired of people wearing the jambo troop number once the Jamboree is over."

In truth, any council shoulder patch (CSP) that has been legitimately issued by a council may be worn by any member who is currently registered in that council. That includes old versions of standard CSPs as well as CSPs issued for special events and activities, including National and World Jamborees. That means you need never replace your jamboree CSP unless you change councils.

I personally do not have a problem with the Jambo CSP or even the special Jambo epaulets. My problem is that we are days away from the new year and I still have two youth and one adult still wearing their Jambo Troop numbers instead of their actual troop numbers. I understand that attending a Jamboree can be a once in a lifetime experience and do not want to lessen the accomplishment in any way but I do think it is time to return to your regular unit numbers for 2011!

So how do I encourage them to represent their troop again without coming off as a member of the dreaded uniform police (gawd how I hate that term!)

'24,

Ask them poliely and with respect when they are going to put on the proper numbers sicne they are part of the troop and the younger guys do look up to them should do the trick.

Or if they know you well enough and can take a joke, stressing take a joke on this one, tell them they are out of uniform, toss them a sewing kit and numbers, and tell them to hop to it ;)

So if I could ask a stupid question:

The area over teh right pocket of teh uniform, above the BSA Tab, Language Tabs and name Tab is for Jambos only??? I, asking this question because Ive seen District Patches above the pocket before.

Thanks

Technically, the District or Region patch goes in position 2 on the right sleeve. But you will not see that on the uniform inspection sheet - it is in the Insignia Guide: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/10P.aspx

But, yup ... I've seen lots of patches up there.

Here is what the uniform inspection sheet says:

Right Pocket

Boy Scouts of America strip is centered above the pocket.

Order of the Arrow lodge insignia is worn on the pocket flap.

Current national Scout jamboree insignia is centered above the BSA strip and any other items above the pocket.

Optional insignia, if worn, is placed in the following order, from the BSA strip upward: interpreter strip, Venture or Varsity strip, name plate. The name plate may be worn on the pocket flap if no lodge insignia is worn.

Temporary insignia, including one current world Scout jamboree patch, centered on pocket. Only one temporary insignia may be worn at a time, and they are not required for correct uniforming. Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip.

Note that special comment about Cub Scout leaders and female leaders. Originally that was only for the older yellow blouse (if memory serves me).

Scoutbox.

"Temporary insignia, including one current world Scout jamboree patch, centered on pocket. Only one temporary insignia

may be worn at a time, and they are not required for correct

uniforming . Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing

the ofcial uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary

insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip."

The situationmay be that, in the district circle, the person you see doing tis may hold more than one position. I see Cub Scout Leaders who also teach certain things or lead certain events on the troop level. They might change their shoulder loops to the current groups color, but the rest of their uniform still is Cub Scouts.

Seen a few do this at RT and other council events.

Seen some Troop leadership switch to blue tabs while helping out with Cubs at Tigeramas.

Actually district patches are not allowed by the BSA, but I know we all have seen them. Heck one district sold them as a fundraiser for training funds. We had one guy in my scout shop adamant that there was such a thing as a district patch, despite me showing him in the IG that district patches are not allowed. Luckily his DE showed up and talked to him, and more than likely went to his stash of district patches to sell him ;)

Yep Cub Scout leaders, irrergdless of gender, and female leaders can wear 1 temp patch either on the pocket or in the jambo spot. No mention of female Venturers having that option.

*** Don't know what you're quoting that from.

Here's a quote from the only Insignia Guide I have handy at the moment: "Female leaders wearing either the traditional yellow Cub Scout leader blouse, the optional tan leader blouse, or the Venturing blouse, may wear one temporary insignia centered above the BSA strip." The way I read this is that if they do, they may not also wear one on the pocket. "Only one such patch may be worn at a time."

And in case you happened to miss it .... "District insignia is not authorized for wear on the uniform."

BDPT00