Jamboree patches

Just the other day I noticed an adult scouter sporting a jamboree patch above his right pocket as everyone else does. However, this scouter was sporting a 1980 jamboree patch with rocker. The insignia guide mentions the wearing of a "current" patch in the said location. My question (just out of personal curiosity) is... Is this an acceptable practice so long as you were a registered participant of that event at the time or is the most recent year/design the only appropriate model that should be displayed?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it's Ok.

FYI One thing to remember though: all female leaders (doesn't mention female Venturers though) AND all male Cub Scout leaders can wear one temporary patch either on the right pocket OR above the BSA strip over the right pocket.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf

...Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing

the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary

insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip.

"The insignia guide mentions the wearing of a "current" patch in the said location. My question (just out of personal curiosity) is... Is this an acceptable practice so long as you were a registered participant of that event at the time or is the most recent year/design the only appropriate model that should be displayed?"

Actually, I checked the current Insignia Guide (2009 printing to be exact), and it no longer says "current".

Its ALWAYS been acceptable practice to wear a past jamboree patch that you are entitled to (ie you were a participant or staff). I've been to seven jamborees, and I have shirts with those past jamboree patches on them.

Thanks fellas for clearing that up. I dont know why I havent noticed that before. I guess its just because so many are wearing the 2010 patch that it came to my attention.

See you on the trail, ----RANBOW----

SSS,

SHHHSHSHSHSHSHSH! [in a low voice) let's not give some Cub Scouts and their leaders in my area any more ideas. :(

Seriously though I HAVE seen this with one of the local CS packs in my area, both youth and adult. That pack does their own thing, never seen one at a training, round up, or event except Webeloree. they usually just show up, complain about the uniform inspection that they usually do not get point on, and leave a mess.

EDITED Forgot to add that that's how the Belgians I met display their patches, all over the shirt.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

The 2009 guide has dropped "current"? Great! Guess, if I wanted to, that means the CJ'01 patch could come off the blanket and go back on the uniform if I chose.

It use to be you could wear it for one year after the event (of course I can't find the source now, but it was from National and defined "current" as upcoming or in the past year).

Then again, once it goes on the blanket, it don't come off. :)

Do you suppose they dropped "current" 'cause hardly anyone obeyed that requirement?

It is my understanding, that you can wear the patch of jambos you have been to, but should wear the most current event YOU attended. So if the last Jambo you went to was in 1983, that one would be the most current for YOUR uniform.

AS opposed to wearing the 1979, if you went to that one too.

"It use to be you could wear it for one year after the event (of course I can't find the source now, but it was from National and defined "current" as upcoming or in the past year)."

I have never heard that. It was always the way that Jambos were more or less a permanent part of your uniform, as few people went to more then one.

What was limited was the wearing of Jambo Shoulder patches & troop numbers. These were to be worn 6 months before & after the event. While I don't mind JSP worn longer, I do get sick and tired of people wearing the jambo troop number once the Jamboree is over. Please go back to your normal troop numbers.

Also, I always viewed foreign jamborees as the same as a BSA jamboree, and that you could wear them above the right pocket. Its a "national jamboree", right?

I was told by a 40 year scouter, member of the National BSA Hall of Leadership, that it was okay to have any temp patch they like go in the jambo area of the uniform. His patch was a region OA patch above the right pocket. :)

Stosh

The temporary patch that I'm currently displaying is from 1977. IMHO, it's OK, because that's pretty much the last thing I was at while wearing that shirt. It has the date printed on it, so I've been making a point to brag about it. I have to admit, it's kind of fun explaining when a Den Chief walks over and asks, "why is your uniform that color?"

For any uniform police out there, don't worry--just one more meeting, and then I'll go buy a new shirt that actually fits. But this thread got me thinking....should I dig out that 1973 Jamboree patch and put it on the new shirt? :)